Motor/Frame paint

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
As this ‘05 is the first late model Vmax I’ve had in my possession, I’m finding a couple of things that have changed. Although I am not anal about cosmetics, I like to optimize the appeal of a motorcycle where possible. And on the Vmax, that means paint. There’s some boot wear on the engine cases and a couple spots on the lower frame. Little details make all the difference.

But this late model color is not the easy to match gloss black. It’s a semi gloss of some sort. Does anybody know what this color is and where to find it? I’ve started poking around, but I’d prefer not to experiment. I’d like to know exactly what it is I need.

I think this will be a difficult quest.

There is floating around a spreadsheet type document listing paint codes for the gen 1 over the years and if memory serves me well, MaxMidnight has posted it. It may have engine and frame paint detaild too.

And even if you do find out, paint fades over time and can vary slightly in colour between batches so retouching a small area is unlikely to match because the human eye is exceptionally good at spotting difference in adjacent colours, you would need to paint the whole component but that depends on grade of OCD.

I think this will be a difficult quest.

There is floating around a spreadsheet type document listing paint codes for the gen 1 over the years and if memory serves me well, MaxMidnight has posted it. It may have engine and frame paint detaild too.

And even if you do find out, paint fades over time and can vary slightly in colour between batches so retouching a small area is unlikely to match because the human eye is exceptionally good at spotting difference in adjacent colours, you would need to paint the whole component but that depends on grade of OCD.

Indeed he does and here it is - not sure how much help it will be though.
If there is a local paint shop that mixes paint they may have the equipment needed to 'scan' the paint and make the correct mix.

You should never just retouch a small area (stone hips excepted) as any colour differences will be apparent as Mr 02GF74 says.
However this can be overcome if you fade the paint into the adjacent areas thus avoiding a sudden change from new to old paint.
Whilst that is relatively easy when working on larger panels an air brush on engine cases would be my weapon of choice as this would give better control of volume and spray pattern.

Attachments

• Paint codes.pdf
    87 KB · Views: 21
Wow. Thanks guys. Not an emergency, but without a code, you're at the mercy of a mixologist. Heck, you're at his mercy even WITH the code.

Thanks again.

Most motorcycles are tri coat paints (base-top coat and clear coat) there for unless you have done this a few times it may be a challenge. The frame and motor covers are either shiny (gloss) or a eggshell (flat or matte) most black but some have a metallic matte look again can be a challenge, blending will always be the best way to hide anything . My advice is do not practice on your V-max and don't take it to a professional to fix after you have made a mess .....Take it to the professional FIRST !!!!!!!!

Back