Motorcyclist hit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I didn't see him"
By far, the #1 excuse cited by auto drivers after colliding with bikes.
Could be many reasons why the young girl "didn't see him".....but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.
She didn't see him because she is an inexperienced driver, perhaps taught to drive by her friends or her dad, teaching that didn't include emphasis on the fact that not all vehicles have two or more headlights/brakelights/tailights, and occupy approximately the same road space as her car.
In other words, she didn't see him because she was looking right through him.
So for motorcyclists, other than giving up riding altogether, the most logical deterrent to help avoid these "I didn't see him" type of accidents would be to make our bikes and ourselves more visible

Agree?

Not to be picking on the girls, however I can say that a young girl like that is not totally focused on what she is got going on right then. Thinking of friends, boy friend , being home late etc. (hasn't got that multi tasking down to a science yet) My cousin was in a crash several years ago when a young girl pulled out right in front of him. He was ejected and his truck rolled over the top of him. Thank GOD he survived however has a bad leg and will limp for the rest of his life. The girl was running late for something and had her mind on other things....

G

Yeah I always check my mirrors when I'm stopped and waiting, but I do feel bad for that girl, she has to live with the fact she killed some one and she is only 17. Thats a tremendous weight to carry around. Be Safe everyone!

But I'm also pretty sure had the guy being wearing the proper safety gear (a helmet) the story might be quite different.

Wow sorry for both people involved, I add a motion flowing light that go's from side to side, And when the brakes are used it's a full stop. I try not to ride that much at night. But I will tell you this 8 days ago a lady bump my rear tire at a stoplight she was stop and then roll forward and tap me move me about 10". There's was a off duty police in a plain car seen what happen. And said to her give your cell phone and come pick it at the police station to the lady. He ask me was ok I said yes. Then he told me I got this here's my card if anything pop up wrong with the bike or you. And she is going to be find few tickets. The police officer was madder than I was.

Attachments

• vmax rear light.JPG
    vmax rear light.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 12
Wow sorry for both people involved, I add a motion flowing light that go's from side to side, And when the brakes are used it's a full stop. I try not to ride that much at night. But I will tell you this 8 days ago a lady bump my rear tire at a stoplight she was stop and then roll forward and tap me move me about 10". There's was a off duty police in a plain car seen what happen. And said to her give your cell phone and come pick it at the police station to the lady. He ask me was ok I said yes. Then he told me I got this here's my card if anything pop up wrong with the bike or you. And she is going to be find few tickets. The police officer was madder than I was.

Thank God that you was uninjured.

I can understand the cop being so pissed. They have to deal with that kind of crap virtually on a daily basis, and I can imagine how it might make him feel that no matter how much he works to keep the roads safe, people are still gonna eff the fuck up.

My '09 GMC was brand-new, I had made one payment on it. A female on the phone rammed me at a FL Turnpike entry. She was in a Taurus, and my hitch gutted her front end thru the radiator and condenser. My bed was pushed-into my cab. Under $4K to get it back, She gave the FL Highway Patrol trooper and me a fake insurance card. I found that out when I called the company, and they said, "wrong number, wrong number sequence, nobody at that address with us!" I got my truck back fixed by my insurance. Awhile later I got a check from my insurance co for the deductible. They got it from the female.

A few weeks later, I was about a mile from the scene of that accident, and an elderly male was trying to turn right. He was directly behind me. Instead of waiting for the light we were stopped at to cycle, he just kept creeping-forward, trying to turn and drive down the swale, apparently, until he hit my truck. This was the week I got back my truck from the first accident. A motorcycle cop yelled at me for leaving my truck to berate the elderly driver, who was bewildered, and who apparently didn't think he had done anything wrong. I wanted to make sure this old guy would pull-over to exchange info. I told the cop it was the second time in a month I had been rear-ended in his fine city, in less than a month, and that I hadn't made my second payment on my new truck, and yes I was mad. The light changed, the motorman made sure the old guy did pull-over, and he got the ticket. The body shop service writer wanted to know, "why are you back?" I showed him.

Not a death, no totaled vehicle, no one injured, but in this truck I've been in five accidents where people hit me in the rear in traffic, and one who did it in a parking lot when the truck was parked, on Thanksgiving. That ties the record for my Trans-Am we bought a year-old in '78. Between my wife & I we were in 5 accidents in 18 months in it, none were our fault. Traded it in on a new BMW 320i.

That sucks !! When im stopped at a light by myself. Im always in gear and I tap my brakes every few seconds, and looking in the mirrors just incase.

+1. Don't pull up too close to the car in front of you, try to leave yourself an exit if possible. Watch your mirrors, I pulse the brake when I see a car pulling up behind me. Be extra careful if you're driving into the sun, since cars behind you will be dealing with glare.

Latest posts

Back