MSD Launch LImiter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gofast68

Reaction score
I wanted to post up on my experience with the MSD Launch limiter. I contacted MSD first to see if it would work and the best answer I could get is that, "It should."

Well, I went and bought the 4350 part number and went to splicing. Essentially, the short version of the instructions are that the limiter runs to each coil and plugs into each terminal on the coil. The box itself has a ground and then you can activate the rev limiter with either a 12v positive source or using a ground activation wire.

The harnesses that come with the Launch Master have sockets that plug right onto new coils, so for a newer bike, it's plug n play. The Vmax doesn't have the same terminals and as such, I had to cut all the sockets off the MSD part and splice them into the Vmax harness. I ran all the orange wires to the red/white coil wires and the green MSD harness to the 'other' coil wires. I grounded the Launch Master box itself and test fired the bike. It did fire right up and run.

I tested both the ground and postive activation wires and found the ground to be more consistent with the set RPM. The positive activation didn't seem to be as clean of a limiter, so I decided to use the negative ground.

To limit the amount of extra 'buttons' and gizmo's on my handle bars, I wanted to use the horn button as the ground activation for the Launch Master. To do this, I wired the horn circuit to a relay and hooked up a switch. Turn the switch on and the horn doesn't work, but allows the rev limiter to function. Turn the switch off and the horn works as it should and the Launch Master is inactive.

So far, pretty pleased with how it works. Haven't gone out and really tested it very much yet, but plan to over the next few days.

Anyway, anyone looking for a low cost launch rev limiter, MSD's Launch Master seems to fit the bill on the Vmax.

http://www.msdpowersports.com/launch_master.html

:clapping: This is great information!

Much better choice then buying 2 Dyna DLR400's Buy any chance can you take a video while on the 2 step, I dont think I have heard a VMAX on the 2 step.
I am not sure how you are going to use it with the horn button.
I think if I do buy one I would wire it into the clutch switch or use a timer in conjunction with my crossover.

Thanks for sharing the positive expierernce. I prefer MSD over Dyna just there products I dont care for there tech support.

:clapping: This is great information!

Much better choice then buying 2 Dyna DLR400's Buy any chance can you take a video while on the 2 step, I dont think I have heard a VMAX on the 2 step.
I am not sure how you are going to use it with the horn button.
I think if I do buy one I would wire it into the clutch switch or use a timer in conjunction with my crossover.

Thanks for sharing the positive experience. I prefer MSD over Dyna just there products I don't care for there tech support.

Yeah, I'll see about getting a video in the next week. I also have a line lock hooked up to my clutch, similar to yours. When I let off the button, the clutch releases as well as the rev limiter. I can't run a timer in my class here locally, so it wasn't an option.

Yeah, I'll see about getting a video in the next week. I also have a line lock hooked up to my clutch, similar to yours. When I let off the button, the clutch releases as well as the rev limiter. I can't run a timer in my class here locally, so it wasn't an option.

Let me ask a few questions since I may take this route rather then the use of a throttle stop..

Are you running wheelie bars... slick?

Can you launch at full throttle without wheeling and also how consistent are the 60ft times? Does it bobble coming out till the 2 step kicks off? How is the rythme while on the 2 step,,, is it smooth or is it pounding? I am worried about strain on the crank with the VMAX.

Let me ask a few questions since I may take this route rather then the use of a throttle stop..

Are you running wheelie bars... slick?

Can you launch at full throttle without wheeling and also how consistent are the 60ft times? Does it bobble coming out till the 2 step kicks off? How is the rythme while on the 2 step,,, is it smooth or is it pounding? I am worried about strain on the crank with the VMAX.

Those are all excellent questions. Some I can't answer since I haven't really run it real hard yet. Next weekend, I'll be in Vegas to give it a good once over with some feedback on 60ft times. I'll be sure to take my laptop and after Friday's test n tune, I'll post up some results.

First, I'm a street bike, weekend warrior type. No slicks, no wheelie bars. The bike is stock down to rejetting it for altitude and putting a K&N in it. The stock exhaust is still on it and I have re-welded up the mufflers due to the previous owner opening them up for noise.

I have tried a 4000 launch with no burnout and picked the front end up about 4 feet before I let out of it, so yes, you can launch at full throttle, but I haven't dialed my flow control valve much yet. I'm sure there is a way to slip it into gear with this rev limiter, but I haven't had the space/time to adjust yet. While on the 2 step, it seems as smooth as any other reputable rev limiter I've seen on a V8 setup. I had the same concerns as you did with the crank due to concerns I read about on here. I don't see it being much of an issue yet, but haven't pulled the crank out to inspect bearings and such. It doesn't shake the bike or pop anywhere, so I can't see a major problem. All the limiter is doing is grounding out the coils in a smooth manner. When you let off the limiter, it immediately revs, so there's no noticeable delay or hesitation.

I'll see about getting some video this weekend of the rev limiter and how it reacts on the bike.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions and concerns with this product. I am seriously thinking about purchasing one after I get your feedback.
The flow control I am using is set fairly slow I would say release time is about 1.1 1.3 release from HP to WP.
My biggest concern is leaving full throttle without a sudden shock on the tire or an out of controllable wheelie. I am looking for the most consistent way of launching with my delay system on a street bike also.

Ohh also I will shoot this advice / tip to you since you have been so helpful with the rev limiter..

Clutch pull distance. This is a very critical thing on consistency and you may have done this already...

Basically I drilled and tapped my clutch lever for a limit set screw.
This is an adjustment device used to set the amount the clutch lever is pulled in before it stops. I set mine to where when the clutch lever is released it doesnt travel far before the bike moves forward. If the setting is to tight its hard to get into gear. The stopper set screw basically hits the turn signal console. This will make your reactions more consistent.
ONE WARNING!!!
IF YOU ARE USED TO BACKING UP YOUR BIKE WITH THE CLUTCH PULLED IN YOU WILL SNAP THE CLUTCH LEVER OFF!! DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS:bang head: Since the vmax clutch lever can be purchased for under 6.00 its no biggy if your going to do this mod buy atleast 3 clutch levers till you break the habit.
Ok thats enough of Yankees race secrets for now..

Those are all excellent questions. Some I can't answer since I haven't really run it real hard yet. Next weekend, I'll be in Vegas to give it a good once over with some feedback on 60ft times. I'll be sure to take my laptop and after Friday's test n tune, I'll post up some results.

First, I'm a street bike, weekend warrior type. No slicks, no wheelie bars. The bike is stock down to rejetting it for altitude and putting a K&N in it. The stock exhaust is still on it and I have re-welded up the mufflers due to the previous owner opening them up for noise.

I have tried a 4000 launch with no burnout and picked the front end up about 4 feet before I let out of it, so yes, you can launch at full throttle, but I haven't dialed my flow control valve much yet. I'm sure there is a way to slip it into gear with this rev limiter, but I haven't had the space/time to adjust yet. While on the 2 step, it seems as smooth as any other reputable rev limiter I've seen on a V8 setup. I had the same concerns as you did with the crank due to concerns I read about on here. I don't see it being much of an issue yet, but haven't pulled the crank out to inspect bearings and such. It doesn't shake the bike or pop anywhere, so I can't see a major problem. All the limiter is doing is grounding out the coils in a smooth manner. When you let off the limiter, it immediately revs, so there's no noticeable delay or hesitation.

I'll see about getting some video this weekend of the rev limiter and how it reacts on the bike.

Basically I drilled and tapped my clutch lever for a limit set screw.
This is an adjustment device used to set the amount the clutch lever is pulled in before it stops. I set mine to where when the clutch lever is released it doesnt travel far before the bike moves forward. If the setting is to tight its hard to get into gear. The stopper set screw basically hits the turn signal console. This will make your reactions more consistent.
ONE WARNING!!!
IF YOU ARE USED TO BACKING UP YOUR BIKE WITH THE CLUTCH PULLED IN YOU WILL SNAP THE CLUTCH LEVER OFF!! DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS:bang head: Since the vmax clutch lever can be purchased for under 6.00 its no biggy if your going to do this mod buy atleast 3 clutch levers till you break the habit.
Ok thats enough of Yankees race secrets for now..

Can you get me any pics of this. I haven't done it, nor have I heard anything about it. Consistency right now is my problem, so anything I can do to get it better is good news. I've watched your video on your clutch release it it did look much more controlled than mine.

I'll keep you in the loop.

-Jeremy

Lankee,
I'll have a short video for you tomorrow.

Good deal man,, sorry I forgot to get pics of the clutch stop. I will when I get home this morning...
Consistency is the most important thing. I will share some of my tips with you. I ran over the weekend and dialed in a 7.48 which I ran dead on 2 times in eliminations. 60ft times are set at 1.89-1.90 (Launch RPM was at 6000 clutch comes out falls on its face and then WOT) with this current setup I using at the moment. Its ok but its still not where I would like it to be to be competiive against dragbikes. Second time out this year on it I cant copmplain but I have more work to do....
Lights during elminations avg = .531

I am trying to picture a stock VMAX with no bars on a 2step at 3600 launching full throttle,, hard for me to see this.

Are you using a mac valve in conjunction with your flow control? I can get you setup even if your not allowed to run a dleay box with flow control and roll out. Send me a message I dont care to broadcast all my bracket racing tips to others

Ok here is 2 pics of the clutch..

Wheres my video
:confused2:

Attachments

• Clutch.jpg
    Clutch.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Clutch IN.jpg
    Clutch IN.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 19
Let me know how it sounds on your end. The bike was idling, then I came on the limiter as you can hear. I then let it idle again and then came up on the limiter one more time and this time, let go of the button and you can hear the engine rev.

The second one is the same routine, but right at the muffler (I hate stock exhaust, you can't hear it sometimes...). It's a little windy here too, so the sound quality isn't what I'd hope it was.

They are large files so I put them on my server for you to download:

http://www.jbmotorsports.com/movies/revlimiter.MOV
http://www.jbmotorsports.com/movies/revlimiter2.MOV

Says I need quicktime to view the videos. I hate quick time. If you have a yuotube account you can upload them to there fairly quickly.

I don't have a youtube account. If you do, you're welcome to download them and upload them to your account.

Coil on plug swap is complete. Will do some testing this week and let you know Donn.

-Jeremy

Back