My explanation to the frame flexing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would you want a steering damper? The V-Max has a ton of rake, and should not develop any form of headshake.

Vmax's are very well know for going into full tank slap at high speed and a slow wobble at low speed.Bearing adjustment is critical.

Metzlers love 40 psi, using two different tires would have a -ve effect on handling. I feel some difference if the front tire pressure drops to ~35 psi.
I sure don't go 130 mph so I have never experienced the wobble you mention ,I also noticed that too much lowering causes some instability especially if the rear is lower than the front, I think at 130 mph the front becomes light and can wobble? but I am not sure that is what you are experiencing.

wfcall said:
I'm running an ME880 170/80-15 at around 35psi on the rear.

The Front has a "Cruisemax" in 120/90 at the same pressure. Not even sure what the hell a cruisemax is or who makes it, I got talked into it in a moment of financial thriftiness. The tread pattern looks like a general purpose/wet weather tie with a lot of small tread blocks and a groove all the way around the circumference. I now realize tires are not the place to be trying to save money.

I have a feeling I really need to get an ME880 on the front but I'm squeezing the last few miles out of the front tire for now.

I am very uneducated about what proper air pressures should be and about how raising or lowering pressure affects handling. Any pointers?

Rusty, I run the ME880's. 38 PSI in back and 42 up front. No wobbles up to 135.

Rusty, did you retorque the steering bearing since you installed them? if no check it again, mine was loose ~3k after they were replaced, they set and will need retorquing.
I check them every ~ 6 months since I ride in surface streets with a lot of bumps and dips.

wfcall said:
Thanks Mark and Ibrahim...

I'm gonna try the air pressures you guys mentioned and see what it does.

In reality I'm pretty happy with it now since when I got it it wobbled at 75.

I rarely run it past 115-120, At the strip it just bumps 117 or so so that's usually about as fast as I'll go except for the rare wide open road sprint.
I've been down at 140 (on a V-65) and don't want to go there again on a bike like the Max since it takes me out of my comfort zone.
Might do it on a different bike for sure.

It's been a long winding road addressing all the issues that got it where it is now. I'm pretty sure the crapped out headset bearings were the primary culprit tho'...

Try 40 on both, the front ME880 loves it.

wfcall said:
Check'em regularly,....

By the way, I did set the Psi to 35 fr and 42 Rr and it seems to ride better. But like I say top speed runs aren't a real draw on this bike anyway...

wfcall said:
My front is a Dunlop Cruisemax that needs to be changed to a ME880........
If you keep an eye on eBay, there are some good deals to be found. I took a chance and bought a ME880 for the front from a private Max owner for $50+8 for shipping. It has never been on a rim and was manufactured two months ago.

Back