My Vmax almost killed me!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon the head bearings are shot - not just loose, unless the front tire is very worn/cupped.

The only way to find out is to remove the front wheel, forks and handlebars, then undo the tripletrees and do a visual inspection. If you see any marks on the bearing races then they need replacing.

Here's what mine looked like in my '86 in FL and I was getting life-threatening high speed wobbles (110mph+ SCARY!!!)
+1, pull the forks and inspect the head bearings and races. Like Ryan mentioned, you should be able to let go on a smooth road without a problem.

Get the bike up on its centre stand, and check for loose bearings. That includes the swingarm, and rear wheel as well. Headshake is caused by the wheels being out of alignment. The front of the bike is actually hunting for that alinment, but is over correcting itself. Any input by the rider trying to control it amplifies it. Hard acceleration, or dragging the rear brake are your only hopes. If all the bearings check out, look to your front suspension. Has a fork seal leaked at one point, and that fork is now low on fluid? Check the fork for any play between the tubes indicating worn bushings. Put the fork tubes back to the factory levels. I know some Vmaxguys like to raise the forks into the clamps by an inch to aid in handeling (dangerous) The front tire, even though it may look good, may be the culprit. I had a Dunlop which did this to me

Welcome to vmax ownership! Mine did the same to me at about 45 mph the bar was smacking both stops. Even if you tighten the bearing and the race has a bad spot on it, it will still wobble. Get ya some "All Balls" and start with some fresh bearings. Cough Cough mines still on the shelf.

I put a new tire on and the 45 mph wobble is gone, one hand, no hand all good. Over 100 mph it is still there but seams different. Probably just the speed.

Last edited:
This happened to me when I first got mine from the dealer. Took it back and they tightened my steering head bolt. Never happened again.

Unless my steering head is set up/tuned, like Sean demonstrates in that video, my bike will ALWAYS produce an increasingly violent steering head wobble when decelerating from >45mph with hands off. I've found I need to adjust it every 18 months or so.

I have never experienced any wobble at high speed, up to and including top gear, wide open, max rpm (140ish).

I had the same problem at high speed (over 80) even while holding the bars, had a new tire, head bearing seemed fine. Ended up one fork was not holding air and the other was, new springs and seals, problem fixed.

I think I may agree with this ?? but of course as usual I'm going to go off on a tangent since you're post made me think if something I've often thought but never verbalized.

I'm MUCH more comfortable digging deep into left hand corners than right hand corners. There's no rational, mechanical or physical reason for this that I can think of. Doesn't matter if its a skateboard, a bicycle, motorcycle or a jet ski. Its just how my body perceives a turn.

Is anyone else like this?

And might it be a reason for the left side wear?

Hi Rusty!!

Keith Codes' Twist of the Wrist II calls that our SR's or Survival Reactions. Every human has them and apparently the best riders (and top athletes) recognize them and train in overcoming these natural instincts. I'm guessing your one heck of a good rider and given time and practice you could bring up your rights to your lefts skill level. I've had MA teachers in the past say to work on your "bad" side at least 3 times as much. I'm only repeating what I've been told though.

I'm a novice rider compared to most of you.. Every ride I learn something (or try too).

-KarmaKatt-
VMOA 5652

This was the end of my 95 when Bonehead had it out for a test ride. He was cruising along then all of a sudden bang out of control went down....Check the steering bearings replace them if needs be also take a look at the front brakes to make certain that they are wearing evenly. If they are rubbing even a little that will cause a control issue.

Back