My Vmax performing like a 500cc

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blax you can correct me if I'm wrong but the left front doesn't have adjustment it's what you set the rest to. Also the right front adjustment is for the right front & right rear is for the right rear.

The A/F screws shouldn't turn that hard that you feel there going to brake.

Dave

Yeah Dorney here is the correct way----
The sync screw on the left syncs the 2 carbs on the left #2 & #1.
The sync screw to the rear on the right syncs the 2 carbs on the right #3 & #4.
The sync screw to the front on the right syncs the carbs on the right to the carbs on the left.

Blax you can correct me if I'm wrong but the left front doesn't have adjustment it's what you set the rest to. Also the right front adjustment is for the right front & right rear is for the right rear.

The A/F screws shouldn't turn that hard that you feel there going to brake.

Dave

Also the one screw on the left side syncs the #1 carb to the #2 carb-it is the #2 carbs that does not have an adjustment and everything is getting synced to it by the screws.

https://youtu.be/Mz4wUCHW72s

Did my best to sync the carbs last night.. I dont have the best manometer... i have oil in there as it's more viscous but less sensitive to fine-tuning.. also air gets trapped in the lines and it takes FOREVER to settle.... I'll have to put something else in there.... It's 4 lines, I clamp 2 off, and tried to sync the left side together... then I did the same, but I can't let the bike just run and run unless the carbs are close, cuz one carb might be way off, then I have my fluid in my manometer hastily pushed towards my carb! I dont have one-way valves in there, possibly another worthwhile upgrade...

anyways the bike actually was idling after some initial adjustments with sync screws... first time it has idled without choke fully engaged.

havne't done the wet test yet, I'm gettin on it. again though I did feel heat in all 4 cylinders, not sure how much of that, if any is coming from the other(s) cylinder(s)...

I know I should check my diaphragms, make sure all set correctly. I will do that and wet test, not sure when. Keep in mind I do have 2 diaphragms I patched up, so, again, not per all your recommendations but spent enough on this pile...

as you can see, seems like fuel supply problem maybe? among others.... every time I roll throttle, it dies. new fuel pump, did my best and I think it's correctly set up, etc.

I'll have some time tonight and try to get some hosing and do a proper wet float test. Can't wait to have to take the carbs off, apart and do some float adjusting!! Yay!! and do this all over and over again yay yay.. Yay! Anyone remember Mr. Bill? that's the voice I have in my head right now... Yay! yay!

my level of frustration will become increasingly obvious, so I apologize in advance, but I do appreciate everyone's time and knowledge sharing... really... thanks for being patient with me.

https://youtu.be/Mz4wUCHW72s

Did my best to sync the carbs last night.. I dont have the best manometer... i have oil in there as it's more viscous but less sensitive to fine-tuning.. also air gets trapped in the lines and it takes FOREVER to settle.... I'll have to put something else in there.... It's 4 lines, I clamp 2 off, and tried to sync the left side together... then I did the same, but I can't let the bike just run and run unless the carbs are close, cuz one carb might be way off, then I have my fluid in my manometer hastily pushed towards my carb! I dont have one-way valves in there, possibly another worthwhile upgrade...

anyways the bike actually was idling after some initial adjustments with sync screws... first time it has idled without choke fully engaged.

havne't done the wet test yet, I'm gettin on it. again though I did feel heat in all 4 cylinders, not sure how much of that, if any is coming from the other(s) cylinder(s)...

I know I should check my diaphragms, make sure all set correctly. I will do that and wet test, not sure when. Keep in mind I do have 2 diaphragms I patched up, so, again, not per all your recommendations but spent enough on this pile...

as you can see, seems like fuel supply problem maybe? among others.... every time I roll throttle, it dies. new fuel pump, did my best and I think it's correctly set up, etc.

I'll have some time tonight and try to get some hosing and do a proper wet float test. Can't wait to have to take the carbs off, apart and do some float adjusting!! Yay!! and do this all over and over again yay yay.. Yay! Anyone remember Mr. Bill? that's the voice I have in my head right now... Yay! yay!

my level of frustration will become increasingly obvious, so I apologize in advance, but I do appreciate everyone's time and knowledge sharing... really... thanks for being patient with me.

That seems like a very large filter. With it not being completely full, your basically running on fumes which most naturally aspirated engines will do. You can get a cheap carb sync took off eBay, cheap. Even if it's a shit brand, at least it will get you there. Also, a heat gun, ir one are like ten bucks. If you work on anything, you should have one. They serve as a great tool to have on many levels. Vmax anything isn't cheap, unfortunately. But, this is the place to look for it all. Been a great bunch of guys here to spread the knowledge tips and tricks. Don't give up, it runs. You're not too far off now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on what casey said- Harbor freight-$8 for 2 speed heat gun,

yep got one already from harbor freight. works well. use this for what though? It was mentioned earlier to use for the boots to help get carb rack in place and airbox on top...

i can pick up a smaller filter for sure, no problem, might help out, i'm willing to try. looked at some on ebay last week, not exactly sure what one to commit to, suggestions?

took another vid after dinking around last night, checked float bowl again in the front right, empty once again. its like that carb ain't getting fuel. Thinking I'll have to take out rack and take apart and double check all float levels anyways, make sure that needle isn't stuck and those things are clear of any crap, should be, just rebuilt these cleaned twice. hundreds in parts, u get it....

https://youtu.be/ayTOtaY6ZRg

vid might be worthless, forgot what we did on it. lol. but again, front right float bowl empty.....

Alright, back with an update. Not sure what to think about this one. Anyways my buddy came over last night, trying to play "hero" once again, and was cranking over my bike for a bit, playing with the sync screws. Whatever, not exactly under my advisement but dinking around blah blah... he needs a gf or something, get outta my hair. Anyways, I took another video. We ran the bike for a bit, mostly only ran with choke engaged. After my buddy was screwing with the sync screw, I think it was the right side, front, backing it out a ways helped, seemingly but I'm sure that isn't really the "synced" setting proper. I'll check with my manometer. Anyways we got to a point where we could actually twist the throttle a bit without the bike dying out. Was running like poo but seemed like a little progress.

Also keep in mind that I pulled the airbox off cuz I wanted to pull carb rack out and reset/check float bowl levels.

Can you take off float bowl cover while rack is still on bike and check float level then?

The left side carb diaphragms weren't moving while the bike was running. I checked left rear side and it seemed like the diaphragm was in proper position.... i can recheck them tonight.

i could see sparks in the carbs on the left side...like here and there. it was quite "poppy" with plenty of geysers shooting up fuel/air whatever it is.....but diaphragms not moving.

Also, the empty fuel bowl front right side, I checked the level, drained it, and it wasn't empty! WHAT? for the first time since my rebuild, there was fuel in there...the same amount that came out of the front left carb, when I marked that bottle with a Sharpie, same bottle, up to same line....I know, not that that's right, but fuel actaully drained out....wow, ok..... and same amount as front left carb.....

So about the vid... ummm.... you guys tell me what's going on now...
https://youtu.be/QeAdR49en2s

Got it. I think there are bigger issues going on though.

so why is there smoke/exhaust coming out of my carb like that in the video?

also I can check diaphragm for leaking, but I dont know why the 2 slides aren't moving on the left side of bike.

Got it. I think there are bigger issues going on though.

so why is there smoke/exhaust coming out of my carb like that in the video?

also I can check diaphragm for leaking, but I dont know why the 2 slides aren't moving on the left side of bike.

The smoke is of course unburned gas-could be a float level set to high--It could be the cracked diaphragms that are not lifting-This works for repair----

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Loctite-Bla...863482?hash=item3d1f57f67a:g:fhsAAOSwyKxXg0I-

Alright. so can I check float levels while rack is still on bike? or do I have to take it out, take them apart and do them all one by one?

Alright. synced it up. had it running and with throttle twist, about starves to death.

https://youtu.be/dZp-59DBvao

Got another video showing the amount of fuel that came out of the float bowls, when drained. I dont have an official measurement but could find out how much volume the lines are at. but. take a look at the vid, shows the levels. I know these numbers aren't the normal carb numbers but numbers 1 & 2 were exact same amount of fuel. 3 was on the high side of the Sharpie line and 4 was in between. If anyone knows how many milliliters should be in the float bowls when set correctly, I'm listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3zttrGC4ho

The 2 non-moving carb slides are now moving. They mysteriously started to work the other day. Bike synced up, not sure. seems like fuel delivery. Do I need to get a smaller fuel filter, there's a bunch of air in there, does that matter? Is the bike starving for gas, are float levels too low?

also in the vid with the manometer, 1 is right rear, 2 is right front, 3 is left rear, 4 is left front. and on manometer, left to right

Those float levels are close enough for now. The differences between them will only affect your finest level of tuning.

You aren't trying to rev the bike with the top of the airbox removed, are you? If that is the case the bike won't do much at all. The carbs are super sensitive to airflow changes above the butterflies.

Those float levels are close enough for now. The differences between them will only affect your finest level of tuning.

You aren't trying to rev the bike with the top of the airbox removed, are you? If that is the case the bike won't do much at all. The carbs are super sensitive to airflow changes above the butterflies.

It doesn't matter whether or not the airbox is on. it's cutting out when the throttle is engaged. that's the big issue. won't run not on choke, or barely does if at all. also throttle twisting kills the bike. I think the pump is keeping up, it's filling the bowls when turn key after emptying bowls, hear it run etc. maybe pump can't keep up with demand of gas? new pump, probably didnt need it but... too late now. so anyone know what's wrong?

Airbox is required if not running stage 7 or Morley airbox.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

if I have to reset float levels one by one, that's why the box is off. I think there is a much bigger issue than having the airbox off. the bike is dying when I twist throttle, with or without airbox.... why?

I guarantee it won't accept any throttle with air box off. The bike is getting too much air and no fuel is being pulled from the bowls.

What's your fuel levels using a piece of hose on drain hoses?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

^ What maleko said, with the air box off it will die if you apply any throttle.

^ What maleko said, with the air box off it will die if you apply any throttle.

OK. I'll put the airbox on tonight and start it up. It will die when given throttle, just sayin.

maybe a/f mix too lean? need more gas, turn CCW to richen up...1/2 turn, maybe that help, dunno. I'll get new vid and post so u guys can see for yourselves.

Latest posts

Back