Nail In Tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Getting ready to ride, notice rear tire is low. Get off, check tire, find nail.

Need advice on fixing. Can I fix with tire on bike? Is there a plug that is recommended?

Hope I don't have to take in, have wheel, tire taken off, patched.

Please advise. Thanks. R.

Plugging bike tyres isn't recommended usually.
However, people often do. The best results are usually from a mushroom plug, which unfortunately means removing the tyre.

I'll plug a tire If I am a long way from home on vacation or on the road somewhere remote. However, I would keep the speed/load to a minimum, and have it replaced as soon as I can. Something cut the rear on the RoadGlide over by Devils Tower WY last year beyond a simple roadside repair. 1000+ miles from home. Tow charge was $190 and the tire replaced at the shop in Spearfish was another $350. The set that was on there cost me $173 shipped to my door and I mounted/balance them myself. On the road you do whatever you need to do... :(

A punctured tire at home is an inconvenience...Pull the wheel and have it replaced, or repaired at your discretion. My Vmax often see's 100+mph...I wouldn't want to be wondering if the plug/patch was going to hold up myself. Some guys may feel comfortable fixing a tire on a bike, and that is for you to decide for yourself. My stuff gets rode hard at times, and I don't believe in skimping out on tires, brakes, etc...

The only way to plug a nail hole in a tire safely is to apply the plug from the inside of the tire and vulcanize the patch to the tire - this is really important as if the patch isn't properly vulcanized (read rubber of both patch and tire are fully melded/welded together) it can fail and come off.
For peace of mind, if you can afford to it's best to replace the tire.

Ride-on. Great stuff. My buddy used it on his R1 and then tested it at a speed i will never see lol. It also self balances the tire.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

I will plug a tire on a car , truck or dirt bike. Not on a street bike while Murphys Law is still in effect. :punk:

I will plug a tire on a car , truck or dirt bike. Not on a street bike while Murphys Law is still in effect. :punk:
Why not a mc tyre?
I mean I don't know what is so wrong with using a plug like the guy in rusty' video? :ummm:

cant imagine getting a flat at high speed. i had a tire go flat on me a long time ago.....luckily i was only going about 25mph.. the loss of control is DISATEROUS!!!

one thing i NEVER skimp on is the quality of the tires on my bike.
could cost you yer life. JMO

I plugged a rear tire with only 75 miles on it..wore the tire out replaced it thousands of miles later.

I had a rear tire lose all its air at 70 mph on the freeway once. Didn't see what i hit and it didn't stay in the tire. Sounded like textured pavement all of a sudden, but all looked smooth so decided to change lanes. Almost shit myself with how the bike reacted. Stopped at a gas station at the next exit, riding the solder to get there. Had to put air in the tire to find the hole, but that type of plug got me home and then a couple thousand more miles with no problems. This was on radials on a triumph sprint rs. Its was also darkso the ease of that type of plug once i found the hole was awesome.

Latest posts

Back