Need a Solution......

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85vmax

Reaction score
I just changed my 2 brush starter to a 4 brusher, what a difference...should have done it years ago....even though the 4 brusher has been staring me in the face for the past 2 years on my work bench....just got around to doing it.

I have a problem....every coolant line/hose I disconnected is fine, no leaks...but the only place I did not touch is now leaking.
The elbow that goes from the thermostat housing to the crankcase has a leak which is driving me nuts....it is leaking at both ends.
I tapped them back in, and have no idea how they came loose.

I assumed that since the bike sat dry for a couple days, the o-rings shrunk, but I guess not. I have rode it to work and back yesterday (15 miles roundtrip) expecting it to swell and seal, but this morn there was coolant in the pan i put under the bike.
I would like not to have to take everything apart again, because she's a "85" and everything has been on for a while.....so once I remove something I tend to have to replace it.
Is there any thing like permatex that I can use to seal the joints of the elbow that won't be permanent, and will work?

Thanks,
Chris

You may need new orings since the seat was disturbed. BUT, you can maybe wiggle it some and tap it a few times and it should reseat. Might not be the first time you do it. If it won't them you'll need the orings.

Sean

When I bought my '85 my mechanic at the shop (he worked for Yamaha for 30 years) Told me the first thing that will fail if I do anything to the coolant system will be the O-rings in that pipe. He said that He has had to rebuild a number of engines over the years because of coolant leaks and un attentive owners burning up the motors. You are most likely going to have to pull it off and replace the O-rings.... I have never had to deal with it on a VMAX myself but the Honda's V45/65 that Ive owned have the same thing with the same issue. Once they start leaking more times than not they continue.

Thanks for the feedback Sean and AlleyCat....guess I'll do a bit 'o wiggling and tapping before I have to change it out.

Latest posts

Back