need help...hard luck story...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigmoore

Reaction score
hello! sorry for my first post being a request for help. (damn newbies).

about me: i've been riding street bikes for close to 20 years...have over half a million miles under my belt. started road racing with wera in 2004, now am an instructor for sportbiketracktime.com. i'm a regular over on the wera forum: http://forums.13x.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3
but figured you guys know way more about v-max's than a bunch of us racers.

the short story at hand, is my dad and i were quite tight and our relationship revolved around motorcycles. he was killed in a motorcycle accident last june while we were riding. i kept his v-max....it's now broken....and my local shop has screwed me on fixing it and left me with a bike in pieces. i'm looking for someone to diagnose the problem on a hopped up v-max and put it back together into a reasonable reliable bike without losing too much of the performance.

the long story is cut and pasted from here http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=142785(again...another newbie stupid move...but i really need some suggestions, guys).

here's the cut and paste from the thread i posted on the wera forum:

local shop that convinced him to build it....just sent me down the street with the bike in pieces.

i'm so friggin pissed, sad, worked up, upset i can't even type straight.

i started dealing with this shop almost ten years ago. as i got my dad involved in bikes he really enjoyed the whole bike atmosphere and the shop. they deal mainly in high performance stuff...and my dad really got into that.

they convinced him to do some work to his '95 v-max. they bored it out, put cams in it, converted it from shaft to chain drive, added r1 wheels/brakes, put a hindle 4-1. that was all good intentions...but they ended up keeping it for over 18 months and they raped dad for over $12k on the deal. he wasn't really happy with the deal....but always wanted a bike done by this performance shop...had plenty of money...it ended up making 160rwhp.....so didn't make a big deal about it. the bike ended up meaning alot to him...but had troubles after they built it (felt out of balance, leaked oil, wouldn't start hot). between dad and me, we've only put about 1000 miles on the bike since all the work was done. both dad and i rode it gently because both of us felt that something just wasn't right on it.

after dad's wreck last june, i felt the v-max was the one thing that most captured his spirit. i decided to keep it forever. i didn't really ride any motorcycle for months after dad's wreck, but when i started back, it was on the v-max. it brought back the original enjoyment of riding that i had missed for so long. i became even more attached to it.

so back in march the v-max started a real bad knock. needless to say....i was sad. i took it back to the shop and asked them to look into it since it was only 1k miles after the rebuild. they agreed. well, two months go by and i call and they still haven't dug into it. this is not abnormal for this shop. it's one guy, who's meticulous and busy...but over booked. i told him i felt stuck. this was a returned bike, i felt it should take a higher priority. he agreed that he would do the same thing in my position and decided to make it a priority and open it up.

so, he called me friday and said he's got it all apart, looks like a heat problem in the top and bottom of two different rod bushings. and then tells me he's not interested in dealing with the project any more.

i still can't get over how a shop can have so much money, time, emotional story in a bike...and just decide they want someone else to deal with the problems they've created.

sorry for the long story....i just need some suggestions on who can put this bike together again. i certainly don't have a clue how to get it back together. the shop didn't just throw the stuff in milk crates and shove it out the door. he labelled it all, put it in baggies, and packed the bags in boxes. a competent performance shop should be able to easily take care of this.

help. i'm sad and i want dad's bike back together. i've given up on getting it back together anytime soon....so if you guys have any suggestions...i'm all ears.

I would contact your attorney. Fuck Yamaha dealerships, most are worthless.

Mark

I would contact your attorney. Fuck Yamaha dealerships, most are worthless.

Mark

i'm not a big 'call yer lawyer guy'...i tend to handle things more 'personally'

i'm also not sure what a lawyer could really do. my dad paid for all the work originally before his wreck....so i can't sue for his money...he basically got what he paid for.

they didn't charge me to dissassemble the bike....well...at least he didn't ask for any money as i was angrily loading the bike....so there's no money there to pursue.

i don't think a court could 'make' them fix it....and i'm not sure that would be in my best interest anyway.

i'm really stuck (btw, it wasn't a yamaha dealership, it was a small performance shop here in town)

First off I am sorry to hear about your father.

2nd. I would try to deal with the guys but if they don't want to, I believe you need to take it somewhere else. You can't make them do anything unless there was a written transeferable warranty on the work they did. If worse comes to worse you could always put it back to stock motor configuration and replace the rear with the shaft. There are MANY great engine rebuilders as well. Some are on this site and will speak up I'm sure.

Hope you get it it sorted,
Chris

What about taking the bike to one of those motorcycle repair schools and ask them to see what they can do with it.

Maybe they can help. I hope you can get it back together, I understand the connection between you and the bike. I think most of us would feel the same way. My dad was never into bikes but I can imagine if he was.

That was definitely crappy of the shop to leave you high and dry. It sounds like they did a pretty half-ass job in the first place, given the problems you had and the bike taking a dump with 1000 miles on the engine.

Honestly, maybe you should just try to get a stock used Vmax motor and install it in place of the hot rodded one. You'd regain the reliability of a stock bike. Sure, it wouldn't be a 160hp fire-breathing beast, but at least you'd be able to count on it and it would probably cost you a good bit less than having the current motor fixed.

BTW, I'm a sportbike guy first. I do track days too (haven't done any with STT though--just NESBA and MCRA) but wrecked really badly at Gateway a couple weeks ago. I hit the wall of the NASCAR oval at about 70-80mph. Fortunately I hit it at about a 45 degree angle, and the worst of my injuries are a few cracked ribs and a concussion. The track bike is trashed though, and I have a $30K hospital bill I need to figure out how to deal with. (Kids, don't do track days without health insurance. Duh.) So I won't be doing any more track days until next season, and I plan on parting out my current track bike and buying a GSX-R750 track bike.

Dont feel sorry for posting anything! I think i speak for everyone when i say its great to see new people around here!

Im sorry to hear about your father. I know how you feel. Im sort of in a similar situation with out all the drama. My dad commited suicide 4 years ago. He had a bass boat that we had a blast on. Being with him out on the boat were some of the best times i think we both had before he went. Anyways my uncle got his boat when he died and let it sit outside and rot for 3 years and never took it out. i threw a big ass fit and got the boat. I want to restore it eventually and get it back on the water. Maybe have his picture painted on it or something, its my best memory of him.

Hate to ask this but i was wondering, was your dad on the vmax at the time? Dont answer that if its out of line.

Sorry to hear about all the problems youve been having i hope it works out for you. There are a lot of vmax guru's around here so youve come to the right place. Hope to hear more from you, keep us updated

Dont feel sorry for posting anything! I think i speak for everyone when i say its great to see new people around here!

Im sorry to hear about your father. I know how you feel. Im sort of in a similar situation with out all the drama. My dad commited suicide 4 years ago. He had a bass boat that we had a blast on. Being with him out on the boat were some of the best times i think we both had before he went. Anyways my uncle got his boat when he died and let it sit outside and rot for 3 years and never took it out. i threw a big ass fit and got the boat. I want to restore it eventually and get it back on the water. Maybe have his picture painted on it or something, its my best memory of him.

Hate to ask this but i was wondering, was your dad on the vmax at the time? Dont answer that if its out of line.

Sorry to hear about all the problems youve been having i hope it works out for you. There are a lot of vmax guru's around here so youve come to the right place. Hope to hear more from you, keep us updated

sorry to hear about your dad, hope you get the boat back and running...i guarantee it will be worth it when (not if) you do.

no, my dad wasn't on the v-max. my racing buddy had just bought an '06 fz1 for a streetbike and was out on his maiden ride with it. i was with him on my '03 fz1. we swapped around a bit and rode the afternoon away. early evening we stopped by my dad's and offered him a ride on it. my buddy hopped on one of my dad's bikes, i stayed on my fz1 and dad rode the new fz1. we didn't realize he had been drinking. a couple miles later he's off the road, got tangled up in some trees. friggin horrible 30 minutes of my life waiting for the ambulance...but i was glad that i was there with him. 59 years old, it was his first wreck. 6/16/06

yeah, this year has sucked. on the 5 month anniv of dad's wreck, we found out my 58 year old mom has pancreatic cancer....nastiest form of cancer around.

ohh, and i lost my job as an automotive quality manager on mar 22 on a bizarre political bullshit thing.

enough of this....i'm going drinking.

well, we can fix it and put it back together with no problems other then time. If it did spin a rod then the cases are probably damaged. Though we are working on a fix for it to salvage cases I can't say the new repair is going to work until I get a chance to test it on one of my own engines (I don't like sending experimental stuff out on customer engines).

I do have a few good cases, complete engines, and even a good chain drive case ready to be assembled. Not sure where you are located but all that stuff could be crated up and shipped here or if it's not too far away maybe even driven here. I do have a friend that drives trucks over the road that could maybe pick up the engine stuff and then later the other stuff as the engine was neared completion.

Either way you can call me and we can try to help you out even if it is putting it back to stock with shaft drive parts so he can at least have a good running bike again.

Sean Morley

well, we can fix it and put it back together with no problems other then time. If it did spin a rod then the cases are probably damaged. Though we are working on a fix for it to salvage cases I can't say the new repair is going to work until I get a chance to test it on one of my own engines (I don't like sending experimental stuff out on customer engines).

I do have a few good cases, complete engines, and even a good chain drive case ready to be assembled. Not sure where you are located but all that stuff could be crated up and shipped here or if it's not too far away maybe even driven here. I do have a friend that drives trucks over the road that could maybe pick up the engine stuff and then later the other stuff as the engine was neared completion.

Either way you can call me and we can try to help you out even if it is putting it back to stock with shaft drive parts so he can at least have a good running bike again.

Sean Morley

can i get your contact info? i'll give you a call.

My info (for anyone else for that matter):

Sean Morley
5811 S. Preston Trail
Derby Ks. 67037
316-619-8411 Cell

You can click the link in the top right corner of your screen too (Morleys Muscle) which will take you to the old site (a new one is in the works).

Sean

just talked to sean on the phone.....wow! what a nice and knowledgable guy.

i'm definitely going to use him as a resource for parts and advice through this project of getting dad's v-max back together.

thanks guys....that's really what i needed. i really appreciate it.

Hey, got the block fixed up and ready. Give me a call when you can.

Sean

Sean, what's the story with the bearing? Also, Kopperhed said something about you adding something to your Muscle jet kit?

Mark

I'll try to post pics of the repair. It saves you about $1800 for a new block. We add a suzuki thrust bearing in place of the machined only thrust surface. Plus we add additional oiling passeges to aid in lubrication of that area.

You've got the newest version of the kit. He had to be upgraded in Daytona

Ah, Chris must have added the oil breather setup?

Also, anything new with Scott's bike?

Mark

First, you need to post this shops name and location on every bike site possible so that NOBODY else will use this clown to do any work on any bike. If he cannot stand behind his work, he has no business being in business. Maybe that'll light a fire under his butt.

Mike Costa
VMOA #3531

Oops, I jumped the gun a bit. I see Sean's taking good care of your situation...good thing. I'd still post the shop's name and location though to prevent others from getting screwed.

Mike Costa
VMOA #3531

Back