Need Torgue wrench lessons

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
OK, I have never touched a torgue wrench in my life before I bought the 2 this last summer when I decided to start working on my own bike.

Would someone be willing to explain how to use the 2 different types, I have the inch and foot

I know you turn the handle to set it and I know it clicks and stops tighting when it reaches the desired torgue.

I just have no idea how to read and set them.. Pictures are always helpful :biglaugh:

Ron

I have the beam style.......I have never used the click style.....

No help here:confused2:

PERFECT !!!!

Thanks Chris, damn I have searched youtube for months looking for one like this, all I could find were ones that didn't show close ups and how to set them.

I didn't want to have to admit how dumb I was by asking in the forum......lol:confused2: But I had to now....lol

It is exactly what I was looking for.. thanks

I'll have to torgue my wheels when I change my tires, I'll save $40 if I bring them in off the bike.

Thanks
Ron

Yes I will, I really haven't done anything to my bike besides the carbs. That is about to change..

Re: Need Torque wrench lessons

just a note , if your tightening something other then an axle bolt or shock bolt , like a head or even better , the oil pan , with multiple bolts , and the torque spec is say 20 foot pounds you would want to start maybe at 5 then go to 10 , then got to 15 , then go to 20 lbs. And keep going around at 20 lbs chris crossing until it clicks on every bolt , also i have an inch pound torque wrench which makes it a lot easier with lower specs such as side case bolts & oil pan bolts , just remember , 1 foot pound is 12 inch pounds . so if it calls for 17 foot pounds its 204 inch pounds , and the inch pound wrenches are much smaller & a lot easier to get into tight spaces & maneuver around , also with click wrenches , you do not have to look at while your tightening the bolts , its all by " FEEL '' AND I'M ALL ABOUT " FEEL " !

Just two other points about torque wrenches.
Dont use them to loosten a bolt and release the spring on the torque setting handel when finished for the day. Got this info from the Snap-on rep who calibrates my torque wrenchs for school.
Lew

Don't use them to loosen a bolt and release the spring on the torque setting Handel when finished for the day. Got this info from the Snap-on rep who calibrates my torque wrench's for school.
Lew
THANKS " LEWL " I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT ! ... :punk:

My spark plug torgue according to haynes is 18 Nm what is "Nm" I googled it and I see it means Netwon meter but now what setting do I set my torgue wrench at I assume I use the in ft one??

Dont use them to loosten a bolt and release the spring on the torque setting handel when finished for the day. Got this info from the Snap-on rep who calibrates my torque wrenchs for school.
Lew

When you say release the spring do you mean turn it down as far as it will go ? and release the lock?

Re: Need Torque wrench lessons

when you say release the spring do you mean turn it down as far as it will go ? And release the lock?
spark plug torque is 13 ft. Lbs. , BUT I USE A INCH POUND TORQUE WRENCH FOR THE LOWER FOOT POUND REQUIREMENTS , SO THE PLUGS ARE 156 INCH LBS , JUST REMEMBER 1 FT. LB. = 12 INCH LBS. ! .... And yes , turn the torque wrench handle counter clock-wise , until its lower then its lowest setting to unload the internal spring tension , this way it does not stretch the spring out and become " OUT OF CALIBRATION " ! ... also I have a factory Yamaha service manual , it has all of the specifications in it ! ... It was $45.00 but well worth the money imo !

Back