neutral

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redgambler

Reaction score
Went on a trip dis weekend, and made three stops and had trouble getting the bike in neutral. Seems like that would be the clutch not releasing fully. Being hydraulic I would imaging that there isn't any adjustment. Help.

search the forum. you'll find that finding Neutral is a common problem. Personally, I'll either do one of three things:

1. Rev to about 3K and tap into N on the needle's downward descent,
  2. Very softly apply pressure to the shifter and rev to 3K, or
  3. Inch the bike forward applying slight pressure to the shifter
All of course withe the clutch lever pulled. Sometimes I'll overshoot and get into 2nd ,but be able to nudge into N from there.

Yea I tried the search forum and didn't see anything. But when I was moved to transmissions, found read some on it. Last week it didn't let go once and died when I stopped. Guess that master cylinder need rebuilding. Thanks.

ewww, well that's a different problem. does the lever have ANY resistance? maybe an air bubble, low fluid? sorry if i'm off-base. if i am it becausei I really can't get a grip on your problem.

In the past I have found that if the tick-over is too high then neutral is a right barsteward.
Try winding it back to below 1000 rpm and see if that helps.

Some thoughts:

Is this a problem that just started or always been there?
Did you just change the oil? It's a 'wet clutch' and doesn't like some oils.
Have you done anything to the bike recently that would cause air to be in the system?
What was the last thing you did before this problem started?

i know exactly what you are going thru :bang head: first id rebuild the slave cylinder, cheap easy to do, this will save you from bleeding the system twice. but then ya new fluid, bleed system and go from there. if that still doesnt help(did only for a bit on mine) i ended up chg my master with a new one and problem is 97% gone, once in a blue moon it comes back but very rare now. There are lots of options for masters if you dont want a factory one.

i found that when you cant get it our of gear to N id have to not creep with the bike, like if you were in traffic, had to fully let go the lever while moving even if it was slow, then when you re-grab the lever pop into neutral. other good method is when slowing down from second, just tap lightly into N and not 1st.

Yea I road again last night and it did better, seams like it was alittle different, like sometimes its better. Sunday was worse than ever.

ya that happened to me also, you'll find the longer you drive or hotter it gets it will get worse. hopefully it doesnt get worse fast.

Sometimes my bike doesn't like finding neutral. I've found that if I put the bike in first when it's off and roll it forward a bit while in gear (to ease off the tension) I can either shift up into neutral or shift up to second and then tap down to neutral. I've found it is significantly easier to go down from 2nd than up from 1st...

Sometimes my bike doesn't like finding neutral. I've found that if I put the bike in first when it's off and roll it forward a bit while in gear (to ease off the tension) I can either shift up into neutral or shift up to second and then tap down to neutral. I've found it is significantly easier to go down from 2nd than up from 1st...

+1:punk:

I agree with all of the above!

Mine was doing the same thing for a while. The clutch would release closer to the handlebar, and sometimes it was very difficult to get into neutral.

Whenever I got this problem, I would bleed the clutch, and it would get better for a while. Also, sitting still and puling the clutch in 20 or 30 times would sometimes help a bit.

My guess is that the slave cylinder seal was leaking, so sometimes when I let go of the clutch it would suck a little bit of air in from the seal. You know, the opposite of leaking fluid out.

I suggest you try and bleed the clutch. I have fitted new seals to the clutch slave and master cylinders, but the engine is out now so I can't test it yet.

Just went through this with my 05 and still having a problem finding neutral after it gets hot. My bike creeps a little while setting at stop lights too like the clutch is not disengaging completely. I've done the following to try and rectify and although it's better still not there.

1. Rebuilt both master and slave cylinders.
2. Flushed and refilled with Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 fluid using Mighty Vac.
3.Changed engine oil from Shell Rotella T 15/40 to Shell Rotella T6 5/40 synthetic.
I've bled my system a couple of times suspecting there may be some air bubbles still trapped some where and maybe I'll try bleeding again. That's really what it seems like is happening(air) and only when the bike is hot.Cold it goes into neutral like butter with no creep. Also shifting is pretty smooth even after it's hot.
Mike

Last edited:
Just went through this with my 05 and still having a problem finding neutral after it gets hot. My bike creeps a little while setting at stop lights too like the clutch is not disengaging completely. I've done the following to try and rectify and although it's better still not there.

1. Rebuilt both master and slave cylinders.
2. Flushed and refilled with Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 fluid using Mighty Vac.
3.Changed engine oil from Shell Rotella T 15/40 to Shell Rotella T6 5/40 synthetic.
I've bled my system a couple of times suspecting there may be some air bubbles still trapped some where and maybe I'll try bleeding again. That's really what it seems like is happening(air) and only when the bike is hot.Cold it goes into neutral like butter with no creep. Also shifting is pretty smooth even after it's hot.
Mike

+1, i also went as far as adding a DD mod and maybe thats what helped itout. not sure if this is a early sign of steel plates getting glazed, need a shot peen scuf up or chg eventually but as i said with the master chg not rebuild im about 97-99% good now, super smooth shifts, n find easy all = happiness

Latest posts

Back