New Brake and Rotor Grab

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
Quick question.
How many of you have changed out all rotors and pads at the same time?

I just changed out all 3 rotors and all new pads. Ran a test ride and feels like I have to press / pull harder to stop correctly.

20160611_175245 - small.jpg

I'm guessing that they need to break in properly to get the most friction?.

How many miles do you run for your break-in period of new pads on rotors?
Galfer HH Sintered 057 G13-71 in front.
Galfer HH metal (don't recall the numbers), in rear.

I have. Did you seat them afterwards? It made a difference on mine.

This is from EBC website, and what I did. This is the "used rotor section" but I did it with mine which were new, and it worked.

First of all, there are two different types of brake pad on the world markets which are sintered copper alloy or organic types. The sintered types are of course much harder and take 3-5 times longer to bed in GEOMETRICALLY to any hollow areas or ridges on a worn brake rotor. Organic pads being slightly softer bed in more quickly but also suffer from what is known as “green fade”. Green fade is explained as a heat curing of the brake material which happens over the first heavy heat cycles.

To bed in sintered pads, drive the vehicle carefully allowing extra braking distance for the first 300 miles. Please be aware that brake performance during the bed in period may be significantly less than you have been accustomed to. What you are looking for is to see a 90%+ surface area contact between the pad and the disc or rotor before optimum braking will be achieved.

Once your pads are 90% surface area bedded after the 300-400 miles, on a safe road, use the brakes 10 times in succession stopping your motorcycle from 60mph to 20mph to get the brakes deliberately hot. This is particularly important with the organic versions (Kevlar® types, carbon based pad types and semi-metallic pad types). After this process, the pads should settle down and normal riding and brake performance can be safely achieved.

Thanks Trauma,
Damn,,,, 300 miles? I don"t think I can run it that much before Thunder.. LOL!!

I think I'd better get off this computer and hit the road:biglaugh:

Did 100 miles today. Brakes are grabbing WAY better than when I started out..

Back