New to site, the VMax and a few ???'s

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judesdead

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the site and new to riding and the Vmax in general. I just wanted to say hi, tell my story and get a few questions answered. I just bought my first street bike less than two months ago. I knew I wanted a motorcycle but I had no idea whatsoever what kind I wanted aside from the fact that I didn't want a sports bike style of motorcycle. While shopping around I saw an 06 Vmax and fell in love immediately. I knew the second I saw it, before I knew anything about it at all, that that was the bike I had to have. Its all I think about and I can't separate myself from it. All I do is ride aimlessly around town without a destination, completely enamored by it. Granted, I have never ridden anything else and I have nothing to compare it to but deep down I know its something special and that nothing else could have filled the void like it has. Anyway, being new to the Vmax and knowing very little about motorcycles at all, I need a few questions answered. Sorry if I seem ignorant but frankly I am.

1. When I'm waiting for lights or doing stop and go, the heat gauge seems to get a little high. Not in the red but kind of close. Maybe about a quarter inch from the red. Is this normal? I feel like its about to reach red but it never does.

2. I want to do a few tweeks and mods to my bike over the next year or so and I dont know any reputable people. While surfing around the net I came across John Cornell and UFO. Is he/they as legit as they seem? Are all his mods and products as top notch as they appear?

3. What type of fuel should I put in my bike? The owners manual says premium but Ive always heard that most makers will push premium fuel even though it really isnt necessary. What is the pros cons of different types of fuel?

4. Sometimes while shifting up and down it seems to "click" kind of hard in and out of gear but sometimes its really smooth. Is this normal?

5. Sometimes the handle bars get the wobbles while cruising around town for no apparent reason. I doubt this is normal. How can I fix this? I think I read somewhere that it is sort of common on the Vmax.

I thought there were more but I cant think of anything else. If I think of anything else, I guess I'll post it later. Thanks ahead of time and take care.

1. I added a Manual Fan Switch when I first bought mine (it was very easy to do) for that exact situation.
I mounted my switch on the left side but this is a Good Guide you can use:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19437

2. Read This:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=15006
And look around this forum for Reliable Vendors, Sean Morley, CaptainKyle, etc.

3. I always run Regular 87 Octane and it runs just fine.

4. I only occasionly have that problem with 2nd Gear, which is fairly common with a VMax.

5. Watch this for a How-To to fix that (Courtesy of Sean Morley):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Morleys-Muscle/282702488678?ref=ts#!/video/video.php?v=1401175502815

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure some of the veterans here will jump in with some answers later on, but here's my take on your questions.

1. Sounds normal. The fan will kick on before the gage gets too high.

2. Some people here have had great luck with UFO, while others have had major issues. I myself have not had any dealings with them. A couple of the vendors here that everybody seems to agree on are Sean Morley from Morley's Muscle and Captain Kyle down in Florida. Both are standup guys that will also answer about any questions I've seen thrown at them.

3. I always just put in 87 octane. My '04 seems to like it just fine and doesn't knock. Every other tank or so, I will put in a couple of ounces of SeaFoam.

4. It's normal. The Max shifts like a tractor.

5. You may have loose steering head bearings. Do a search for the "bounce test." This is the easiest way to check and adjust those bearings. Also make sure your tires pressures are correct. I run 35psi in the front and 40psi in the rear.

Damn, I typed all that up without realizing Dennis was doing the same.:bang head:

Welcome to the experience. Almost a year ago I too were in your shoes--new the riding and didn't think I wanted a VMax until I saw it nestled amongst other dealer's previously owned. the other guys' response are on the mark. The forum is filled with A LOT of great info--the search feature is very handy, but don't hesitate to ask questions, the guys here are quick to react with help, advice, and dare I say opinions hehehe. You'll find out that the members here are simply awesome folks! Grab your favorite beverage, sit back and start cruising through the FAQs. Next flip through the technical section followed by the Mods threads. A very useful area is the How-to section--trust me, if it has been, or needs to be, done, the guys here have laid out great illustrated step-by-steps.

As far as mods, and this is just my opinion, consider addressing the handling first.

Keep the rubber side down and watch out for the cagers trying to kill you! But most importantly just have fun

regards from my tapatalking android...

I always use premium 93 on all my motorcycles. If you can find it, use a gas station that sells pure gas without the ethanol. You will immediately get 10% more gas mileage. I use pure gas in my truck too. Don't fill up at ghetto gas unless absolutely necessary. Don't ride in reserve for long. If you get 110 miles till fuel light, fill up around 100.

Use oil for a wet clutch. I always used full synthetic on my other bikes. I just purchase my vmax 2 months ago and have yet to choose an oil for the vmax.

I also have the manual fan switch.

Thumbs up for Sean Morley. Talk to him about the wobbles and fix that ASAP.

I have SASY boost controller and LOVE it.

Dale Walker 4-2 exhaust with stage 3 jet kit, but that's how I got my bike. Everyone here says get Marks exhaust. I talked to him on the phone and he is a very nice guy. Much better prices than Dale.

Change the fluids in your driveshaft.

Most important... DRIVE CAREFULLY!! Get armored gear and a good helmet. I took a spill following a friend on a Honda 550-4 and we both hit fast and hard. Leatherup.com has good gear at very good prices.

I have been riding for 14 years and cannot believe that you chose this as your first street bike. You may even want to take a course with MSF to learn defensive driving. I started out on dirt bikes and the road is a whole other Beast.

The VMAX is not a bike to be taken lightly. Respect her. You can spin out by over accelerating and lock up your back wheel by downshifting incorrectly.

Drive Safely

Welcome to the forum ! I run 87 gas in my bikes with no problem thats pretty much what there made to run on. The neck bearings are pretty simple to adjust I see some one has already helped you with some links. The temperture sounds pretty much normal for a vmax.

Hmm good post, this a good post for me too as the vmax is my first road bike. I have rode dirtbikes most of my childhood and I remember being a kid and my friend showing me that classic vmax burnout advert telling me how mean this "Vmax" bike was. I knew someday I wanted one. I hate following the crowd and this bike was not the same as the rest. The idea of a cruiser style bike with the power of a crotch rocket? proposterous... I love it! As a two-stroke rider I always like the kick and feel of the powerband and what do ya know the Vmax fulfils that rush too. The bike just has so much character. Gets lots of nice comments as well.

Take your time with it, It takes a bit of time get the feel of what you can and can't get away with on it.

Things I noticed:
My bike likes premium gas more
Oil did make a major change in the way the bike shifts
hits the redline real quick
rear wheel locks up easy on downshifts and braking
Front end comes up easy, but goes down hard :(
This forum has lots of good people :)

I have been riding for 14 years and cannot believe that you chose this as your first street bike. You may even want to take a course with MSF to learn defensive driving. I started out on dirt bikes and the road is a whole other Beast.

The VMAX is not a bike to be taken lightly. Respect her. You can spin out by over accelerating and lock up your back wheel by downshifting incorrectly.

Drive Safely

Great words to abide by.

+1. I, too, recommend the MSF. It's required here nowadays in FL in order to get your license endorsed.

Please read my advice to FootNote . He, too, was in the same shoes you find yourself in today. Don't think we're being all high-browed about our Maxes--it IS a powerful machine. Just use A LOT of common sense and don't think that the bike knows what it is doing. It is YOU that controls the bike and if you let your guard down, the lack of your control translates into the bike just the same. Take your time and don't try to rush into the exhilaration. It will be there when your skills are up to par. KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS!!! You can still have the experience of your life within the bounds of them--you don't need to exceed them so quickly. Master the limitation, and then slowly push it to the next level. In order to have a lifetime of fun, you have to be alive through it. Sorry in advance for preaching to the choir. Just my two cents, use it or toss it to the side for the next guy.

PS strap your cojones in tight when you start getting up to around 5500 rpms. That V-Boost will knock them into next month once the valves open. ya, baby!!!!

1. Yes normal........everyone here so far reccomends the fan toggle switch...I instead opted to change the radiater fan switch, there are about 4 models you can get from the auto parts store from $25 - $45.......I barely get over half way on the gauge when running in traffic......in florida.
It starts the fan at a lower temp than the factory piece.

3. Try both......I run regular in all my bikes.

4. It's a YAMAHA.......it's normal....:rofl_200:
My '02 FZ! and '83 XJ550 are worse.
As someone mentioned....different oil may help some.

You'll think of a lot more by the time you start putting some miles on her....:punk:

Wow, thanks guys. I havent been on in a day or so and I wasnt expecting so much advice and tips when I logged on. I really appreciate it. My questions were completely answered except for one which makes me think there is a problem and thats about UFO. They seem so legit but I guess thats my ignorance talking. So UFO isn't the best huh? I will definitely check out everything you guys suggested since the consensus seems to be the same on everything else. Also, I understand how much of a risk I took by buying a vmax as my first bike. Everyone suggested getting something a little less powerful but they also said that I wouldnt be satisfied with a less powerful machine a few months down the line. I took that into consideration when buying but I'm a very big and strong individual who is able to control something like this fairly easy and Im not one to go rushing into a situation without completely knowing what I am doing. I'm taking it real slow and I completely understand the risks. If I was doing this in my 20's there would have been a problem but in my 30's, I'm a careful man. The MSF is a guarantee. I am for sure taking that course. Right now I am just cruising along the California coast line getting used to my bitch, learning everything I can about her. I am in love gentlemen. Thanks for everything and if you have anything else I should know, please don't hesitate to give me any tips.

youll get comfortable with it in time... 60 - 70 feet of rubber at the lights is very easy if you get into it so be easy on the gas, stay out of vboost in corners, and yuo need to realize its a straight arrow machine. its not designed for cornering, ppl can make it better, but be aware that corners can get sketchy.

The bike is easy to work on. read, ask lots of questions around here and learn. theres pics and vids of every concievable problem on this site.

download the shop manual...its not perfect but it helps.

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/main.html look under vmaxtech and info, documentation and download.

enjoy brotha, welcome to an addiction worse than drugs...

peace,
evan....

Two of the first things you should address are the front springs and seat. At a minimum, you should put Progressive springs up front. Some folks go further and put emulators in as well. Really improves handling characteristics of the bike. The stock seat flat out sucks. I have one of Morleys muscle seats as do many others. Night and day difference. Forum member Maxgasser also makes a seat that alot of members are raving about.

As to UFO... as I said earlier, I have had no dealings with John as of yet. I am really close to getting one of his megaphone exhuast systems though. Nothing else I've heard even comes close to that nasty "dragster" sound I want.

i have a maxgasser and its definatly a win...

<midmoraider> have you looked into a marks 4-2? ive got the only set of 2 3/4" cans hes made and it sounds unreal... LOUD big block idle, then an awesome almost indycar like high rpms. almost too loud lol. under 900 bucks... videos on the net dont do it any justice...

just a thought and sorry for the hijack,
peace,
evan...

Mr. NST, I live in politcally incorrect Mizzourah, no such thing as too loud.:punk:

Welcome to the Vmax World, I too am new to this forum but not to the Vmax. :clapping: These guys are great, you have found a good sounding wall. Keeping things simple check your tire pressures regularly before you ride(cold tires). Tire pressure can make a significate differance in the handling of a motorcycle.

You mentioned mods, this form references the Mod Monkey and warns, be careful, because once you start there is no turning back. THEY ARE RIGHT!! I agree that handling is the first modifications I would and did perform on my bike. Let's face it, a Vmax is pretty darn fast stock!!! Replace rubber washer with steel in the head bearing, new seat, Delrin motor mounts, frame brace, fork emulators with correct spring rates for your weight, quality rear shock with correct spring rate, , and if money allows Carrozzeria 18" vmax wheels and radial tires. This is what I did to my bike. The results in ride quality and handling are turely remarkable and worth every penny. If I had performed the above the first time around and not tried to save a dime, the cost and labor involved would have been much less. Thats my 2 cents. Always remember to ride like your invisable, that way you stand a chance.

"Good judgement comes from experience, unfortunately, most experience comes from bad judgement"

Back