New to the Forum

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewart

Reaction score
Hey folks, I am new to the Forum and I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself.

My name is Patrick Stewart, and I live in sunny Panama City Beach, Florida. I own two bikes as of now. A 2009 Yamaha R6, and my recent purchase, a 1998 Yamaha Vmax. Which is what brings me here.

I stumbled across my vmax while visiting a buddy of mine, his neighbor had it tucked away in the back of his garage. She doesn't purr quite right as of now but I am fairly certain the shotgun/peashooter techniques should do the trick. Right now she rides with the choke on, obviously a bit rich. but she does have a strong motor and the bike shifts great. she wants to idle but dies right as I get the choke down.

This weekend I am going to address the problem as seafoam hasn't helped the idle issue and I am sure it wouldn't. The front left carb (sitting on the bike) is back firing. I am sure that it is do to the low side being gunked. Hopefully I can get this tiger purring like new this weekend.

To the point, Here are a few pics. Sorry I haven't had much time to take many as I spent a lot of time cleaning and fixing minor things from the neglect of the previous owner. Looking forward to getting to know you guys and this site has already pointed me in the right direction to getting this girl back on the fast track.

This is where I found her, tucked in the corner, sad and dusty.
picture.php

Ran to work to buy some seafoam, hoping to avoid any carb work. No luck.
picture.php

Thanks for looking folks.

welcome to the forum and to your new found addiction. you will find that the members here are great bunch. you'll have your new found friend tearing up 98 in no time. i myself, grew up in niceville stomping around the bayous from the age of 7 up until i graduated high school. my buddies and i used to drive over to pcb years before the college kids started destroying it every spring. i've only been to the panhandle a handful of times since. MAN how the redneck riveria has grown. i still can see the beauty behind the condos that splatter the sugar sands, though. the last time i was there, i trailered my max up to destin for a hs reunion. the wife and i drove over to navarre beach. when we got there, i told my wife, "this is how i remember it being, growing up. the dunes were tallest structures and footprints were the only things left behind."
261532_2067866253662_1811776_n.jpg

Always glad to see new people here. Patrick believe me...ANY problem that you have...a solution can be found on this forum, and these are a GREAT bunch of people.

welcome to the forum and to your new found addiction. you will find that the members here are great bunch. you'll have your new found friend tearing up 98 in no time. i myself, grew up in niceville stomping around the bayous from the age of 7 up until i graduated high school. my buddies and i used to drive over to pcb years before the college kids started destroying it every spring. i've only been to the panhandle a handful of times since. MAN how the redneck riveria has grown. i still can see the beauty behind the condos that splatter the sugar sands, though. the last time i was there, i trailered my max up to destin for a hs reunion. the wife and i drove over to navarre beach. when we got there, i told my wife, "this is how i remember it being, growing up. the dunes were tallest structures and footprints were the only things left behind."
261532_2067866253662_1811776_n.jpg

Yeah, the college kids just hit for their first week. I live right off the beach (about a half mile walk) hear them constantly. I don't mind it so much because they do spend that $$$ while they are here. I just wish they had an off switch. Although I am sure people have said that about me.

The has definately changed from when I was a kid. I am however only 26 though so maybe not as much as others... ;)

It always makes me happy to hear Redneck Riviera because that is exactly what it is.

Welcome Stewart. You shouldn't have any trouble getting your Max to purr. There is a ton of technical info in the carb. section and a lot of great people here to help.

Yeah, the college kids just hit for their first week. I live right off the beach (about a half mile walk) hear them constantly. I don't mind it so much because they do spend that $$$ while they are here. I just wish they had an off switch. Although I am sure people have said that about me.

The has definately changed from when I was a kid. I am however only 26 though so maybe not as much as others... ;)

It always makes me happy to hear Redneck Riviera because that is exactly what it is.

ugh it amazes how Tourons can even think about the beach in these conditions. :snow:

bwahaha. 26 and already a crotchety old man screaming on front porch at the kids
angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon.gif
:band: :puke: :th_drink: :blahblah2: :th_2fc2c5a5:

just to put me into context, that hs reunion i spoke of was my 20-year reunion held a couple summers ago
Smiley_grandpa.gif

Welcome Stewart. You shouldn't have any trouble getting your Max to purr. There is a ton of technical info in the carb. section and a lot of great people here to help.

I have a service manual, being an old machinist mate in the Navy, I have experience with these types of schematics. Plus, there are tons of articles on the forum.

G'day Stewart!
That's screen looks great, and unique I'd say. Looks lowered too. Nice bike!

Welcome aboard Stewart. Definitely a nice bike. Yeah do the ol' shotgun and take it out for a blast. Keep us posted

Nice looking bike, and welcome to the forum. Carbs will probably need to be disassembled and cleaned if the peashooter/shotgun doesn't work. Don't forget to sync them too. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks guys. It has progressive shocks, carbon fiber windscreen (I removed it though), and a lower seat. I wish the previous owner would have addressed the exhaust first. These trumpets on the side are huge! Not to mention that they rob these bikes of their unique b4 sound. I will definitely keep you guys up to date on my progress.

Nice looking bike, and welcome to the forum. Carbs will probably need to be disassembled and cleaned if the peashooter/shotgun doesn't work. Don't forget to sync them too. Keep us posted on your progress.
ya i'm thinking that the bike's " been in a barn" for a while, then the carbs'll def need a rebuild if shotgunning them doesn't work. seafoam is good, but check out "start your engines" by gold eagle. i think autozone and/or discount autoparts sells some.

I work at Autozone, we def carry seafoam. Right now it is on sale for $3 off. Haha, I'm anxious to get it right. This is a way different ride than my r6.

Probably low speed jets in the jet block are clogged. First items to clog when bike is left sitting. Surprised the bike runs at all if left sitting that long! Will have to remove the carbs and completely clean. Many threads and sticky's on the subject. Would replace all the gaskets, etc at same time. Startron helps keep the bad ethanol gas we have now from deteriorating.

So, I just found out Yamaha doesn't offer a rebuild kit for these carbs. I find that off being I am a parts guys myself. Any suggestions as to where to get them?

Back