New Triumph Rocket TFC

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
Been waiting to see this! Having owned several rockets over the years this thing is PERFECT in my opinion. 2500cc, 168HP and 163 TQ, plus 90lbs lighter! Incredible in my book! Gotta admit the TFC line for Triumph is top notch and the Rocket just puts it on another level.

Not sure if I will get one as I currently own a 200 plus horsepower 2018 Yamaha Vmax with tune. Haha. Pics below...

rocket.jpg rocket1.jpg rocket2.jpg rocket3.jpg rocket4.jpg rocket5.jpg rocket6.jpg rocket7.jpg rocket8.jpg rocket9.jpg

Looks really cool, some really nice significant improvements as well.

Looks like they are only making 750 so very limited production. $30K.....ouch not for the masses but by the looks of it not overpriced.

Seems way down on power. Standard is 10hp/100cc. 250hp minimum. All performance bikes are running alot more than 10/100 to rear wheel. My bandit runs 156hp for 1216cc nineteen eighties tech air cooled

Seems way down on power. Standard is 10hp/100cc. 250hp minimum. All performance bikes are running alot more than 10/100 to rear wheel. My bandit runs 156hp for 1216cc nineteen eighties tech air cooled
While you aren’t wrong about displacement to power ratio there, every review and testimonial I hear from anyone who has ridden a base model Rocket 3 let alone this special edition raves about the way they deliver what power they make , not the peak top end HP. They “only” make that HP out of a massive 2.3L engine. However, all the torque you could ask for is there at any rev range. It’s got a very wide, flat torque curve. I remember a few years ago , one of the cycle mags had a power cruiser comparison. They had the older Rocket 3, Suzuki M109, I think maybe even HD V Rod, etc.The Gen 1 VMax smoked everything else in just about every performance stat except one. The Rocket 3 was quickest in Top Gear roll on from 60-80mph (100-130kmh).

dragbike.02.jpeg I went to the Triumph dealer when the Rocket III was released, sitting on that made me believe how-uncomfortable an OB-Gyn exam must-be because that was the position I was forced-into (knees-apart). For a longitudinally-positioned engine, I expected it to be much-narrower between the knees. I was greatly-disappointed by the ergonomics.

What work was done to that Bandit to give that kinda-power, because that's about what a Hyabusa does RWHP? My friend's shop has all-sorts of performance bikes come through, they build a lot of 'busa's, and that's what I've seen.

The "All About the Benjamin's bike wasn't built here, it was brought in for a bunch of work to get it back on the road. The original build was done for Shaquille O'Neal when he was at Orlando. A relative of my friends at the shop owns it.

Charlie-Busa.01.jpeg Troy-Busa.jpeg Hyabusa-Ben Franklin.01.jpegdragbike.01.jpeg dragbike engine parts.01.jpeg

Last pic:
Another of the shop-builds, 1508 cc 'busa, bored/stroked, 14+:1 compression, uses a 24 volt starter, NOS, & it has a license plate! Waiting to hit the dyno. Charlie-Busa.01.jpeg Troy-Busa.jpeg Hyabusa-Ben Franklin.01.jpeg dragbike.01.jpeg dragbike engine parts.01.jpeg dragbike.02.jpeg 20190529_152516.jpg

Last edited:
I was tempted by a R3 and test drove a used one at a local dealership that sells mainly pre-owned (and is also quite liberal with allowing test drives). At the time I had an Indian Scout, with a 1130cc v-twin. With what I'd done to it, it should be putting right about 100hp to the wheel, maybe 80 for torque. Bike was maybe 550lbs, not a feather but light by cruiser standards.

As F-M noted, I instantly found the R3 very uncomfortable. It's a huge bike, yet the riding position is very cramped and awkward, and I'm only 5-8. Ultra wide gas tank, high mounted mid controls, and a decently long reach to the bars make for a very goofy rider triangle.

But, 150hp and 160lbs of torque! This thing is gonna rip my arms off when I hit it, which of course I did on the nearest on ramp. My buddy was following me, on my Scout. It definitely wasn't slow, but given it's dyno numbers I was expecting quite a bit more. Around 4000rpm the bike shakes like it's about to come apart, the tach and speedo were vibrating furiously to the point I legitimately thought they were going to fall off. My Scout was also not getting any smaller in the mirror. I ran it up to about 120 and north of 100 I started to gain some distance on my own Scout, but considering it has 50% more power and 100% more torque to shove it's extra weight I thought it would have absolutely ran away. It just didn't feel all that fast to me. My Vmax was definitely more "exciting". My current Valkyrie (about 100hp/100 ft-lbs) feels all as fast according to the butt dyno but runs about 400x smoother. I returned the R3, thanked the salesman, and left, my interest in the bike had gone to absolute zero.

On a separate occasion I demo'd a used R3 Touring, the bagger version. It was an absolute pooch. I actually thought something was wrong with the engine, which initially I had assumed to be the same one in the R3 standard/roadster. It was torquey and ran smoother, but the throttle seemed to stop working after about 50%. Nothing more happened. There was absolutely no top end power anymore. Apparently Triumph decided to carry the extra weight of a bagger, the engine should have less power. A lot less. That 2300cc engine was detuned to only put about 100hp to the wheel. Why, I have absolutely no idea. The bike was running perfectly fine. The Touring did have a much better riding position although the gyno-chair leg spread was still mostly there. They also axed the tach (not like you needed it, the engine signed off at what felt like about 3000rpm), and put the speedometer just north of your crotch, so you won't be looking at that either. Again, any potential interest went to zero during the test drive.

I'd be curious to sample the new one, once the non-TFC standard production version comes out. Triumph axed the Touring model a couple years ago due to poor sales, so who knows if the new one will get a touring variant or not.

Brother DRF; head port, oversize ss valves, gsxr cams, flat slides, header and exhaust, geared. Bike is 100lbs lighter than a busa. I rode a couple triumphs at thunder years ago. Did second gear roll on smoke shows with r3 with performance exhaust. It was all bottom end power and I weighed 150 lbs then. I was really interested in the 1000cc triple but it was like standing up on pegs for seat position. It did great wheelies though. Was happy to get back on vmax

Back