New vmax on it's way...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partycrasher

Reaction score
Wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Just purchased a new 09 vmax from daytona fun machines....very nice group of folks to deal with. Bike is being shipped to me in new england and i will have it by thursday.

Have some questions--exhaust systems--UFO catsass sounds good...and for $600 is not a bad price.....will it blow off any low end TQ?....5.5 inch muffler is huge.

Any other exhaust recomendations.....including the x-pipe----by the way--who sells it yet if it is available and who do we contact about it.

Thanks for the help!! John

Wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Just purchased a new 09 vmax from daytona fun machines....very nice group of folks to deal with. Bike is being shipped to me in new england and i will have it by thursday.

Have some questions--exhaust systems--UFO catsass sounds good...and for $600 is not a bad price.....will it blow off any low end TQ?....5.5 inch muffler is huge.

Any other exhaust recomendations.....including the x-pipe----by the way--who sells it yet if it is available and who do we contact about it.

Thanks for the help!! John

Hey john and welcome to the forum,i have an 09 as well and run the x-pipe,i personally like the look of the stock cans and this is the reason i went with this set up instead,and i really love the sound.The guys name is mike and he is from ohio i think,if you are on the starvmax forum is site name is blueta71,send him a pm and he will respond,he is awesome to deal with and a super nice guy with tons of support if you need it.I actually gained torque throught out the rpm range with this set up,and it does not run lean at all,its actually a little rich with the stock ecu.Hope this helps and welcome to the SICKNESS.

Sheldon.

You'll like it. I kept mine under 4500 for the 1st couple hundred mile. Then I went to 7k till 700, not keeping it there. At 4500, that's when you can feel the torque want to kick in. Changed oil at 300 w/ Yamalube, at 1k, I went to Amsoil and Lucas additive, along w/ changing the rear. Have had no problems. Mileage will probably be around 25 until it gets broke in. Around 2k, mine has went up as high as 35. I seldom go out w/o hitting 80. To me, it cruises like a standard bike till I hit 4200, then the torque value starts coming in. At 1st, the 09 was ok w/ me. I am getting to like it more and more. Thats a good thing. I got an Evoluzione filter, loosing the top part of the box. Love it. Changing the filter isn't like popping the top and cleaning the K&Ns. You'll have about a dozen and a half screws and bolts to go thru to get to it. I am going to wait till winter to see what exhaust systems and such are out. Will pm you. Welcome, Mark

thanks mark. appreciated the good info and the PM;. john

RIDE THE FUCKING THING LIKE YOU STOLE IT FROM THE FIRST MILE YOU PUT ON THE THING.Thats what i did an i got 185 rwhp and 121ft lb's of torque.I have 3500 miles on mine and it keeps getting better.Whooaaa.These numbers are all sae corrected #s.

bike arrived today....in the pouring rain. It has 1 mile on it....perhaps tomorrow i can turn that into 100 miles.....

If that is a pure stock bike, I'd be posting the sheets on all the Max nets. That has to be a record. Maybe Yama installed a race ecu by mistake? Now that would be cool.:biglaugh:

I've seen where some have run their 09s hard out of the box. Me, I don't have the money to take that chance. Time will tell in a year or two how much they can take. I guess it's like watching a test program at someone else's possible expense. Machinery is machinery. The more you abuse it, the more apt something will go pop. Early on, with the way I've seen some brag about roughing up their bike, it's been a good, strong engine so far. I understand the clutches may be a prob. I want mine to run me for many moons. Me 2 1/2 cents.

If that is a pure stock bike, I'd be posting the sheets on all the Max nets. That has to be a record. Maybe Yama installed a race ecu by mistake? Now that would be cool.:biglaugh:

I've seen where some have run their 09s hard out of the box. Me, I don't have the money to take that chance. Time will tell in a year or two how much they can take. I guess it's like watching a test program at someone else's possible expense. Machinery is machinery. The more you abuse it, the more apt something will go pop. Early on, with the way I've seen some brag about roughing up their bike, it's been a good, strong engine so far. I understand the clutches may be a prob. I want mine to run me for many moons. Me 2 1/2 cents.

I am a little crazy that way,i have got an additional clutch spring plate on the way to help with the clutch.I have had no issues thus far but will learn from other people's riding,I installed the race ecu after the dyno run so thats on the stock ecu.

anyone selling a kick the cat or x pipe.....??? that cat sure does smell like shyt.

It'll get weaker miles down the road. I still smell mine after a hard hiway run, then slow to around 30 or less. Remember, that odor it to help the air quality. :rofl_200:

I did some research and also conversed with a couple of serious 09'ers. I had this inkling when I 1st saw the numbers, that something doesn't jive. I did 171/107 with the same miles as mentioned. I imagine, if the numbers posted are true, the conversion or machine is screwed up. Sorry to bust a bubble. A race ecu may net 180. Two of us had 09's at a dino recently. Both limited out before the test completed. I was high w/ 171. I believe it was of the Evoluzione filter. You might find another machine somewhere and give it another go. 185-190 is what I'm going to shoot for. It'll prob cost me a k to get there, including that Evol electric shift.

RIDE THE FUCKING THING LIKE YOU STOLE IT FROM THE FIRST MILE YOU PUT ON THE THING.Thats what i did an i got 185 rwhp and 121ft lb's of torque.I have 3500 miles on mine and it keeps getting better.Whooaaa.These numbers are all sae corrected #s.

there is a lot of evidence out there that the proper way to break in a motor is to hit it hard for 6 to 8 passes, after a proper warm up. In fact, most motorcycle assembly plants red line the bike upon first firing up the motor. I broke in two bran new cars this way with no ill effects.

I did some research and also conversed with a couple of serious 09'ers. I had this inkling when I 1st saw the numbers, that something doesn't jive. I did 171/107 with the same miles as mentioned. I imagine, if the numbers posted are true, the conversion or machine is screwed up. Sorry to bust a bubble. A race ecu may net 180. Two of us had 09's at a dino recently. Both limited out before the test completed. I was high w/ 171. I believe it was of the Evoluzione filter. You might find another machine somewhere and give it another go. 185-190 is what I'm going to shoot for. It'll prob cost me a k to get there, including that Evol electric shift.

published yamaha hp numbers are all at the motor not rear tire....

Back