New vmax owner headshake

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure to be honest, its the local Yamaha dealer that did it for me. I can call and find out. Quick question.. When the manual says 34 and 36 psi for the tires...would that be the same for a radial? I'm currently running 40/40 but I think I'll lower that a bit.. (I've had a wobble no matter the psi)

I'm not sure to be honest, its the local Yamaha dealer that did it for me. I can call and find out. Quick question.. When the manual says 34 and 36 psi for the tires...would that be the same for a radial? I'm currently running 40/40 but I think I'll lower that a bit.. (I've had a wobble no matter the psi)
Proper inflation is critical with under inflation being more dangerous. Radials, I would make sure the radials are built for heavier cruiser type bikes and follow what is recommended on the tire. I'm no tire expert and only have had radials less than a year so someone with more experience will correct me if I'm off base here.

I have Shinko Verge 011 200/50ZR18 sidewall says 42 psi but I have been running them at 40 psi may drop down to 38, not sure though. The front is a Shinko Verge 011 120/70VR18 sidewall says 42 psi but running at 38.
They ride much stiffer than the old bias tires but I have softened up the suspension somewhat. This year suspension mods:
Forks-added 1" back into the forks, added spring rate adjuster and 5 wt oil. (Progressive springs + Ricor Intiminators valves)
Shocks- regular rate springs in place of the HD springs (Progressive 440)

So I didn't want to post anything here til I was sure, but my wobble is gone. I can't be 100% sure what fixed it since I tried many, but here is my set up.
Front progressive springs stock height, 40/40 psi radials, rear shocks preload 1 and damper 1, I did the rear washer swap since my 180 was rubbing a bit, but I think most importantly I had my steering bearing too tight this whole time. I did the manual's procedure just without actual torque specs. I tightened the bearing as tight as I could, turned lock to lock several times, loosened completely, then barely tightened at all again. I can now top the bike out at any time and any road. Its a good feeling :) thanks to everyone who has helped, I think radials with proper suspension settings and bearing tightness was my answer. Maybe anyone else that has a wobble but is a light weight like me 170lbs, try your rear shocks at 1 and 1, that made drastic changes for me.

Back