newb with a few q's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYRUS

Reaction score
hello everyone im new to this forum and new to the Vmax scene. i dont have a Vmax as of yet but planning on getting one pretty soon. im planning on building another ground up bike for my winter project using a Vmax power plant. i have a few questions i was hoping to get answers for so i know which yr would suit my build the best.

* what yr did the Vmax change over to fuel injected?
* are there certain yrs thats better than others besides then 2nd gen.
* from what i understand, the Vmax's fuel tank is underneath the seat so im assuming the motor is fed by a fuel pump. is the fuel pump located inside the fuel tank or is it an external fuel pump?
*does the vmax have an oil tank?
* why is it that the early 1st gen Vmax produces more power than the later 1st gen Vmax?
*how reliable are the chain conversions out in the market right now? i've heard of sprocket wobbles and oil leaks with these conversions have they been resolved?
*since its a gound up build, im leaning towards the carburated Vmax insted of the EFI's. the thing is i've heard that they catch on fire with K&N filters on them, is that true?

well i think thats all for now... thanks for the help in advance:cheers:

hello everyone im new to this forum and new to the Vmax scene. i dont have a Vmax as of yet but planning on getting one pretty soon. im planning on building another ground up bike for my winter project using a Vmax power plant. i have a few questions i was hoping to get answers for so i know which yr would suit my build the best.

* from what i understand, the Vmax's fuel tank is underneath the seat so im assuming the motor is fed by a fuel pump. is the fuel pump located inside the fuel tank or is it an external fuel pump?
* why is it that the early 1st gen Vmax produces more power than the later 1st gen Vmax?
*how reliable are the chain conversions out in the market right now? i've heard of sprocket wobbles and oil leaks with these conversions have they been resolved?
*since its a gound up build, im leaning towards the carburated Vmax insted of the EFI's. the thing is i've heard that they catch on fire with K&N filters on them, is that true?

respectively:

*gen 2 - 2009
*newer the better but typically after '03 all the changes were made. do some searches around the forum to find out
*external.
*no.
*it doesn't
*chain conversion - sean will answer ur questions
*never heard that at all??

and welcome! some of your questions i've never heard of, where did u read/hear about it?

No time to answer you at the moment (getting ready to head out) but i'll get you some good answers shortly and probably have what you need sitting here in the shop!

Sean

Well, Finally got back and can try to add my input for you. Some of this was already noted by garrett.

1 - there never was a first generation fuel injected vmax (at least not from the factory). There are injection kits available out there but they are very expensive and in my opinion not all that great an upgrade. I will add that a few on the list here are working towards a better more affordable EFI conversion (still not going to be "cheap").

2 - The gen 2 isn't necessarily better then the gen 1 but the gen 2 makes a ton more power as issued from the factory (but the cost is way more too). There is no real difference between the years for power or reliability. There were a few upgrades to various internal parts over the years but again nothing to base buying one year over the other. Now, I will say that the 96 and newer blocks have stronger cases and this are better candidates for any big bore conversions.

3 - the tank is lower then the carbs and as such does need a low pressure pump. About any 3psi pump will work or you can use a conventional tank with a high flow petcock (pingle makes some good ones). The stock tank is just for storage and the pump is external (mounted right in front of the seat - behind the carbs). The EFI conversions use an in tank pump modified into the stock tank.

4 - the vmax uses a wet sump so there is no external tank. There is a pan and you can make it larger if you wanted. The oiling system as delivered is one of the weakest links on these engines. We sell HD oiling systems to help overcome this problem (and I have a few custom pans too depending on what chassis you use).

5 - the early vmax outperforming the later max's is a myth. There are strong and weak bikes from every year. The newer engines seem to be more consistent though.

6 - there are a couple of different chain conversions out there. The normal conversion does have some limitations for sealing and longevity but still work just fine (no sprocket wobbles usually). I have another conversion type that doesn't fit in the stock frame well but is closer to an OEM setup for durability and sealing. It also will allow for a much larger rear tire to be used.

7 - no fire problems other then when using filters and flatslides. As noted before the EFI is expensive for the small gains you get. We are currently working on another carb project that if it pans out should make the same or more power then anything else right now. Of course our muscle jet kits work quite well and if you have enough room for the OEM type airbox then you may like it. We do sell the stage seven setup too (with individual filters).

Depending on your budget/goals I have a few different options from mild to very wild and a big selection of good used OEM parts (and a lot of new) to get your project up and running.

Sean Morley
[email protected]

Well, Finally got back and can try to add my input for you. Some of this was already noted by garrett.

7 - no fire problems other then when using filters and flatslides. As noted before the EFI is expensive for the small gains you get. We are currently working on another carb project that if it pans out should make the same or more power then anything else right now. Of course our muscle jet kits work quite well and if you have enough room for the OEM type airbox then you may like it. We do sell the stage seven setup too (with individual filters).

Depending on your budget/goals I have a few different options from mild to very wild and a big selection of good used OEM parts (and a lot of new) to get your project up and running.

Sean Morley
[email protected]

This topic kinda peaked my curiosity when he asked about them catching fire. My bike was running a stage seven dynojet when I bought it. I do have the stock airbox and have contemplated throwing it out but I think I'm glad I didn't. When you say flatsides what are you referring too?

Keihin carbs. For bigger engines (1500's) they are good since they can flow more air/fuel due to larger dia bodies. Downside is the fuel economy goes to crap and they "mist" fuel above the throat of the carb body when in operation which saturates the filters. Once backfire and you're on fire.

Sean

Attachments

• P1014260.JPG
    P1014260.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 18
  • P1014262.jpg
    P1014262.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 17
hey Sean i appreciate the info.
im just finishing off a bike build right now for a buddy of mine while im shopping for a Vmax. unfortunately we dont have alot of 2nd hand vmax for sale around here. i guess the vmax owners just love their bikes too much to let them go.
im really interested chain conversion with the offsset sprocket to load wide tire that you offer. im not really worried about the factory frame not working for that application since im building my own frame to begin with but keeping the neck so i can still use my stock VIN #s.
i have a few questions if you dont mind.
*do i have to send the motor to get that done? or you can just send me the parts and i just have to assmeble it?
*from what i understand so far, doing a chain conversion means opening up the whole motor etc etc and its actually better to do a bigger bore while your at it am i understanding this right?
*how much more power would a 1500cc bore produce? im not really going for a high HP bike since im not really building a drag bike. im actually happy with the stock power but if the work to get a 1500cc bore on the motor is not much more why not do it too.
*how wide of a tire can i use after the offset chain conversion?
*do you use a outer bearing support for the offset sprocket?
*from what ive read so far, you have quite a bit of vmax's for sale. do you have a complete Vmax for sale that has chain conversion with 1500cc bore on it and with registered VIN#s?
*what else is stored underneath the faux gas tank basides the carburators?

btw is this your bike? looks almost same as your avatar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuV6woh09aI

hey Sean i appreciate the info.
im just finishing off a bike build right now for a buddy of mine while im shopping for a Vmax. unfortunately we dont have alot of 2nd hand vmax for sale around here. i guess the vmax owners just love their bikes too much to let them go.
im really interested chain conversion with the offsset sprocket to load wide tire that you offer. im not really worried about the factory frame not working for that application since im building my own frame to begin with but keeping the neck so i can still use my stock VIN #s.
i have a few questions if you dont mind.
*do i have to send the motor to get that done? or you can just send me the parts and i just have to assmeble it?
*from what i understand so far, doing a chain conversion means opening up the whole motor etc etc and its actually better to do a bigger bore while your at it am i understanding this right?
*how much more power would a 1500cc bore produce? im not really going for a high HP bike since im not really building a drag bike. im actually happy with the stock power but if the work to get a 1500cc bore on the motor is not much more why not do it too.
*how wide of a tire can i use after the offset chain conversion?
*do you use a outer bearing support for the offset sprocket?
*from what ive read so far, you have quite a bit of vmax's for sale. do you have a complete Vmax for sale that has chain conversion with 1500cc bore on it and with registered VIN#s?
*what else is stored underneath the faux gas tank basides the carburators?

btw is this your bike? looks almost same as your avatar.

No, that video was another person and I think member here too. My videos are posted as user one2dmax if you go looking for them.

I can send the trans parts you need and you can install them yourself. This only requires opening of the lower case half to get to the trans. You don't have to take off the heads/cams or even valve covers. The setup we have uses an FZR bearing and output so it is very durable. Our FZR conversion (and even one other that would let you put a really HUGE rear tire on it).

You can chain drive a stock engine or go as big as you want. I have a 1570 block that is ready for a customer who wants max power. The bigger engines make a lot more power but reliability does go down. I have some dyno charts of various engines posted on our website (which has been recently updated guys) at morleysmuscle.com

A good 1500 will make 155-165 rwhp with over 100lbs of torque.

I do have a 1500 longrod chaindrive engine package I would sell you that made quite a bit more then that even. Pretty much an all out engine. I even have a chassis available that can be sold with it. Email me for more info/pics and prices (not real cheap - the engine cost was over $10K to build but the sale price would be a lot less then that).

I do have a few different bikes avialable as well as frames with and without titles. I am selling my personal 2005 vmax too which ran quite well but is not chain converted (we could do the work for you on the conversion but the previously noted 1500 would be a better deal).

Sean
[email protected]

Attachments

• PCW Chain Drive.jpg
    PCW Chain Drive.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 16
  • New Chain Drive Conversion.jpg
    New Chain Drive Conversion.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 1570 Chain Drive 2.jpg
    1570 Chain Drive 2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Chain Drive FZR Conversion.jpg
    Chain Drive FZR Conversion.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Chain Drive 0 Wide Conversion.jpg
    Chain Drive 0 Wide Conversion.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 17
No, that video was another person and I think member here too. My videos are posted as user one2dmax if you go looking for them.

I can send the trans parts you need and you can install them yourself. This only requires opening of the lower case half to get to the trans. You don't have to take off the heads/cams or even valve covers. The setup we have uses an FZR bearing and output so it is very durable. Our FZR conversion (and even one other that would let you put a really HUGE rear tire on it).

You can chain drive a stock engine or go as big as you want. I have a 1570 block that is ready for a customer who wants max power. The bigger engines make a lot more power but reliability does go down. I have some dyno charts of various engines posted on our website (which has been recently updated guys) at morleysmuscle.com

A good 1500 will make 155-165 rwhp with over 100lbs of torque.

I do have a 1500 longrod chaindrive engine package I would sell you that made quite a bit more then that even. Pretty much an all out engine. I even have a chassis available that can be sold with it. Email me for more info/pics and prices (not real cheap - the engine cost was over $10K to build but the sale price would be a lot less then that).

I do have a few different bikes avialable as well as frames with and without titles. I am selling my personal 2005 vmax too which ran quite well but is not chain converted (we could do the work for you on the conversion but the previously noted 1500 would be a better deal).

Sean
[email protected]

thanks for the info Sean... i'll give you a shout for sure when i find my donor Vmax. :cheers:

Back