Newbie.... intro/question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachoCamachoZ

Reaction score
Hi there, just joined the site and trying to find some information. I just bought a 2003 Vmax with 8700 miles on it. Most of the influence has come from my dad and I've fully enjoyed it for as little as i've ridden it (still winter here). I have little knowledge of V-Boost exactly how it works. I was wondering if there might be a write up you might have on hand. I look forward to posting more on this board and generally have a decent mechanical background. Anyways, thanks ahead of time!

Hi there, just joined the site and trying to find some information. I just bought a 2003 Vmax with 8700 miles on it. Most of the influence has come from my dad and I've fully enjoyed it for as little as i've ridden it (still winter here). I have little knowledge of V-Boost exactly how it works. I was wondering if there might be a write up you might have on hand. I look forward to posting more on this board and generally have a decent mechanical background. Anyways, thanks ahead of time!

Yeah mate lots of useful stuff on here and believe or not the guys on here know their shit , i think from memory there is a thread on explaining vboost .
You will pretty much find all you need on this site , also search the links on here aswell .

Welcome to the madness .:clapping::punk::clapping::punk:

642008141137.jpg
V-Boost is Yamaha's latest powerband-widening trick. A servo motor opens a set of butterfly valves when the engine gets to 5700 rpm, effectively allowing two carburetors to feed each cylinder. The system is simple and it works.How technical do you wanna get? Here is a simple explanation..

To come up with such an incredibly wide powerband, Yamaha conceived what it calls V-Boost. It consists of little more than two passages—one connecting the intake manifolds of the two right-side cylinders, another connecting those of the left two. The passages are closed until 5700 rpm, at which point an rpm-sensitive servo motor opens a butterfly valve in each passage. This allows two carbs, instead of one, to feed each cylinder at higher revs. Yamaha claims this results in a more constant flow of gases through the carburetors, as well as doubling the volume of fuel mixture available to each cylinder. In other words, more power. A reasonable claim, especially in view of the V-Max motor's extraordinary performance.

Alright, so it's basically what my father had described to me... it sounds like it's activated electronically? I was kind of under the impression it was a little more complicated initially.

It reads your RPM and the Vboost is controlled by the "Vboost controller" which then opens butterflys with a servo motor and cable. Its a pretty simple setup..
In all honesty I have bypassed my V-Boost.. Dont be fooled VBOOST doesnt increase horsepower, its just like a 4 barrel carb... basically normal operation you run off 2 barrels and when ya stomp it the secondary barrels kick in..

Back