No Engine Power

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so now I need to find shims. Where can I buy/find 25mm shims?

Front exhaust .006-.008 (bad) Front intake .007-.009 (bad)
Rear exhaust .004-.006 (Okay) Rear Intake one valve at .009 (bad) other three .010-.011 (Okay)

Thanks for all the help.

Okay, so now I need to find shims. Where can I buy/find 25mm shims?

Front exhaust .006-.008 (bad) Front intake .007-.009 (bad)
Rear exhaust .004-.006 (Okay) Rear Intake one valve at .009 (bad) other three .010-.011 (Okay)

Thanks for all the help.

Whoops. Other way around for the rear.

Rear Intake .004-.006 (Okay) Rear Exhaust one valve at .009 (bad) other three at .010-.011) )Okay)

Okay, Here's what I need.

2 - 285 shims
3 - 270 shims
1 - 265 shim

In return I have

4 - 275 shims
2 - 280 shims

i'd make a suggestion to use a kit, just because even though what you 'need' may not work as well as a different size. I ended up doing that twice.

also make sure you are looking at the right sizes, the yamaha oem manual is wrong!

Okay,So I got the shims and the motor put back together. Thanks for everyone's help. New issues now.

Started it up and after I let it run a bit, got the carbs full of fuel and then it started backfiring and out the exhaust and carbs. Put the air box back on and it still backfires big time. I took it out for a little ride and when it is not having the backfire problems it seems to have plenty of get up and go, but then backfires like crazy and runs basically like crap.

What's next? I assume pulling the carbs back off and making sure no leaks and such? What other things do I need to look at before I put it back together to try again?

Thanks for the help.

This is interesting. I let the bike sit overnight after starting it up initially and it popping and backfiring. I basically did nothing to it. The next morning I started it again and the popping and backfiring was reduced if not almost eliminated. Is it possible that getting fuel back into the carbs and just letting it sit would somehow correct the problem? If the battery was extremely low would that have any impact on this condition?

Battery low can make a difference. Also, fuel is a solvent and can dissolve mild deposits it left behind if it wasn't left that way for too long.

Sean

so Sean, you are saying that yes, both these conditions could have been the cause? Fuel reintroduced to the carbs could have cleaned things up as it sat and charging the battery could have also helped?

BTW - I sent the old shims a few $$ back today. You should get them on Thursday. Thanks. They were perfect.

Back