No power. Period

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven May

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rode into town to put gas in, and when leaving spun the motor one round and then all the power left. No lights, nothing. pulled the seat off and checked a fuse, still good. Trailered it home, where I found the 75a fuse...looked bad, so I tossed it. Put in a 30 a fuse just to see if the lights would come on, Nope. OK so I check the battery, No voltage. Pulled it to find that all the water had left the building, Filled it to the lines and charged it. Put it back in. Still I have no power when I turn on the key....Just a post to see if anybody has had this happen and what they did. Otherwise its to the shop with it. Thanks.

You should also check why the electrolyte evaporated; was it lack of maintenance or over charging?

You can't rely just on the battery voltage to confirm it is OK. Whilst the voltage reading may be OK the ability to deliver the high current needed to start may be compromised.
A battery discharge test would confirm this.

The main, I believe, is a 30a, if it blew a 75a and drained the electrolyte there are some problems that need to be researched. I believe there is an electric system flow chart check list here on the forum that might help you. Not sure where it is.

Last edited:
Multi-tester, electrical diagram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you cannot read diagram, just keep staring at it until you do. It explains everything. Open diagram in Paint and draw current flow. Pretty often I start chopping pieces of diagram, which I don't need.
Voltage goes:
Battery, fuse, ignition switch, fuse panel, components.
If you don't have $5 for multitester from HarborFreight, start saving... ;)

The main, I believe, is a 30a, if it blew a 75a and drained the electrolyte there are some problems that need to be researched. I believe there is an electric system flow chart check list here on the forum that might help you. Not sure where it is.
my bad it was a 7.5 on the trickle charge leads...Im an idiot

You should also check why the electrolyte evaporated; was it lack of maintenance or over charging?

You can't rely just on the battery voltage to confirm it is OK. Whilst the voltage reading may be OK the ability to deliver the high current needed to start may be compromised.
A battery discharge test would confirm this.
thanks for the replies Max, I bought a new battery, and checked all the fuses...all good. When I press the start button the light dims like it's going somewhere, but nothing happens...starter?

Did you charge the new battery completely? I swapped to a shorai lithium when the battery went out on mine. I've been happy with it so far after about 5k miles.

thanks for the replies Max, I bought a new battery, and checked all the fuses...all good. When I press the start button the light dims like it's going somewhere, but nothing happens...starter?
could it be the relay ?
Did you charge the new battery completely? I swapped to a shorai lithium when the battery went out on mine. I've been happy with it so far after about 5k miles.
bought a Caltric AGM 16AH off of amazon

Are you sure everything was hooked up correctly during install? Beyond that I'm not sure what it could be. Hopefully some wiser max heads will chime in

Did you charge the new battery completely?

That's what I would do first.
Note that your charger must have a charging regime specifically for the AGM type of battery.

A few other points:
Read the instructions about installation and commissioning of the battery.
Unless you have already done so you will need to check the charging rate to ensure your new battery isn't fried.
Check that all of the earths are clean and tight.

Rode into town to put gas in, and when leaving spun the motor one round and then all the power left. No lights, nothing. pulled the seat off and checked a fuse, still good. Trailered it home, where I found the 75a fuse...looked bad, so I tossed it. Put in a 30 a fuse just to see if the lights would come on, Nope. OK so I check the battery, No voltage. Pulled it to find that all the water had left the building, Filled it to the lines and charged it. Put it back in. Still I have no power when I turn on the key....Just a post to see if anybody has had this happen and what they did. Otherwise its to the shop with it. Thanks.
Battery is too close to engine, and electrolite evaporates. Same happened to me. I just bought Odissey AGM battery. No issues yet.

Battery is too close to engine, and electrolite evaporates. Same happened to me. I just bought Odissey AGM battery. No issues yet.
I don't buy that else every owner, which most are on this forum, would be making the same complaint.

Electrolite evaporates if the battery is being overcharged, accompanied with a smell of rotten eggs (sulphur dioxide).

I recommend you measure the charge voltage, if it exceeds 14 v, then the regulator is suspect.

I don't buy that else every owner, which most are on this forum, would be making the same complaint.

Electrolite evaporates if the battery is being overcharged, accompanied with a smell of rotten eggs (sulphur dioxide).

I recommend you measure the charge voltage, if it exceeds 14 v, then the regulator is suspect.
Charging voltage around 13, but the fact is that one cell was almost empty.

Charging voltage around 13, but the fact is that one cell was almost empty.
Better off with a sealed AGM OR lithium ion battery. Charging voltage , +13.5 volts minimum. I like 14 volts at idle. Venture stator, late model regulator. No high resistance grounds.

Latest posts

Back