No top ten for Max.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wfcall said:
I knocked out 2300 miles on a 5 day vacation by myself on the Max with just a Sportmax seat and a windshield. Could not have been more comfortable. I think?

Not sure really though as I have no point of reference of what a truly comfortable sport tourer is really like.

damn I want an FJR1300

Mate of mine owns one. That thing is bloody comfortable. Told me one trip he got caught out at 170kmh but to him it felt like 110kmh. Everytime I talk to him it seems he was recently off on some big ride so he does some miles on the thing. Not once complained about anything sore. I may be a tough bastard and able to ride for ages but even I get sore.

You guys will groan when I say this, but the V-Max is sort of like a Sportster. That's a bike that was the top of the heap for 15 years but hasn't been considered fast since the early 1970s. But Harley has been making them 50 years and they're still a blast to ride, warts and all. (Although the lastest ones with the rubber mounted Buell motor are getting a little too civilized, and actually fast.)

I might get another one someday, but only if I can convince my wife I can keep the V-Max and my other bikes. :eek:hyeah00:

Boy, and here I thought I get confused once in a while. I've owned two Sportsters and can't ever remember them being anything but a pain to start, let alone fast or fun to ride. Friend of mine had a 350 Honda that ran rings around my POS. You know how those good old boys are in dem there hills, they would get a beat up ol tractor anyday before they would choose a Vet. You can patch up them tractors with bailing wire and chewing gum, yall!

SPOFF said:
You guys will groan when I say this, but the V-Max is sort of like a Sportster. That's a bike that was the top of the heap for 15 years but hasn't been considered fast since the early 1970s. But Harley has been making them 50 years and they're still a blast to ride, warts and all. (Although the lastest ones with the rubber mounted Buell motor are getting a little too civilized, and actually fast.)

I might get another one someday, but only if I can convince my wife I can keep the V-Max and my other bikes. :eek:hyeah00:

It's funny to me when the H-D crowd calls the Sportster a "girls" bike.
I guess cause it doesn't weigh 8,000,000 lbs like everything else they make. If I'm not mistaken??? though a 1200 sportster is way faster than the rest of the H-D's except the Vrod.

I don't think sportster was ever faster than the weenie bike 4 cylinders the Japs were building in the 70's....

Since ya'll are discussing them, I thought you might want to give this a look-- http://www.motorcycledaily.com/30january07_nightster.htm .

I don't know about the bikes (except that they're too expensive), but by and large (and I know it's wrong to generalize), the people that ride HD are looked upon as jerks. Some of them work hard to maintain that reputation. I looked at used V-Rods when I was looking to buy--decided I'd rather get a new Max than pay MORE for a used Rod. Plus, I didn't want people looking at me thinking "He's on a HD, must be a jerk (I may be a jerk, but I like to stay under the radar).

Harley folks (I call them "Snarleys") buy a dream, but eventually most of them wake up.

Maximum said:
Since ya'll are discussing them, I thought you might want to give this a look-- http://www.motorcycledaily.com/30january07_nightster.htm .

I don't know about the bikes (except that they're too expensive), but by and large (and I know it's wrong to generalize), the people that ride HD are looked upon as jerks. Some of them work hard to maintain that reputation. I looked at used V-Rods when I was looking to buy--decided I'd rather get a new Max than pay MORE for a used Rod. Plus, I didn't want people looking at me thinking "He's on a HD, must be a jerk (I may be a jerk, but I like to stay under the radar).

Harley folks (I call them "Snarleys") buy a dream, but eventually most of them wake up.
Jerks are in every motorcycle community. I ride with some HD boys and they are OK. It's usually when a big group gets together that many have to be cooler than the next bad ass. The HD bikes are making BIG strides in performance and roadability but for the money, you can get a lot more for less from the rice fields. That new Sportster is looking pretty close to what we've been riding for 22 years now. At least the attempt is there to improve on looks and performance. It's sad they had to go outside the US to get their old iron updated and give their engines some power.

Not for me.....Max still looks way better, even if nothing has changed after all these years.

Back