Noob to thread. Engine rebuild

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so I have an update. Last night I was able to get to the bearings and inspect them. They are look worn but not spun or in terrible shape. That all was pretty painless at least until I gave up. So Now I have two problems (with the bike, many more but that's for another day) My first is one of the cap nuts just keeps tightening and my torque wrench never reaches the specified torque. Actually I do not know that because I stopped once I noticed the nut was going on much further than the other ones. And that takes us to problem number two. As I'm tightening the last nut up on the last rod cap and about to go home I'm wrenching the nut to the specified torque when all of a sudden it goes loose again. So I try to tighten it, loosen it, take it off and nothing. It just spins. Which leads to my next statement, HELPPPP!!!!!

On a side note I took off the oil pump screen and cleaned it out, YUCK! There was so much crap in there I took a picture but I'm not sure it will help with what it is, or isn't or where it came from.

20130516_180809_zps747bcde2.jpg

20130516_180803_zps3c37348f.jpg
20130516_180832_zps48658409.jpg

That's some serious crap in there. Looks like gasket/sealant material, leaves, assorted metal pieces, and even a piece of the cam chain tensioner? As far as the rod bolts, is the whole bolt/stud spinning or is it just the nut spinning?

It appers to just be the nut. I couldn't tell with the socket so I got a regular wrench and it was just the nut

The black bits definatly look like they are chips off the cam chain guides, I had the same in mine
The amber pieces look thinner and are either excess gasket sealant or some of the glue that holds rails onto the cam chain guides
IMAG0872-1.jpg

I thought maybe the tensioner at first too but think it's actually the support for the end of the stator oiling tube. This can be seen from looking into the pan and following the small tubing from out of the pump where it sprays onto the stator. There is a small rubber grommet that supports the end of that line and just fits into the elongated hole in the block. It will be more rubbery then plastic.

Thanks Sean I'll check that out, although I'm a little more stressed about this bolt. Can I replace it with out taking the whole engine off? and by the way I have pictures of the bearings just didn't have time to send them this morning

If it's simply a rod bolt and it's not seated all the way into the rod then it will spin. Shoot me an email and I can always send out another rod bolt/nut just in case the knurling or threads are bad.

Sean
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back