normal oil pressure?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampfox357

Reaction score
Ok I did a search and came up with nothing. So I installed a oil pressure gauge on my 1986 vmax. And here is what I am reading. At idle and warmed up I get 5 to 7 psi , 3k I get about 23 to 25 , and at 4k I get 35 to 40. If I get on it goes up to 65 or 70 psi. Does this sound right to you guys?
Thank
Swamp Fox

Sounds right for an engine that's warmed up. Hits bypass when you get it on... Cold engine and oil will show much more oil pressure but things should be warmed up before you run it hard.

completely agree with SpecOps13...

no worrys.

peace,
evan...

It hits bypass on start up 65 or 70. Then drops down to what I posted after say 25 min or so of riding. I always let it idle for a couple minutes. And I never go above 4k until it is warmed up.

It hits bypass on start up 65 or 70. Then drops down to what I posted after say 25 min or so of riding. I always let it idle for a couple minutes. And I never go above 4k until it is warmed up.

Good policy, high revs on start-up can contribute to the dreaded o-ring blow out!

General rule of thumb....any hot idle pressure at all and roughly 10#psi per each 1K rpm's (4,000rpm = 40psi ?) and yer good.

Doesn't sound like you have any issues at all. :punk:

Ok I did a search and came up with nothing. So I installed a oil pressure gauge on my 1986 vmax. And here is what I am reading. At idle and warmed up I get 5 to 7 psi , 3k I get about 23 to 25 , and at 4k I get 35 to 40. If I get on it goes up to 65 or 70 psi. Does this sound right to you guys?
Thank
Swamp Fox

Great oil presssure at idle for a warmed up Max. Some will show zero at idle hot. I'm getting about the same with 37k on the engine and Seans excellant HD oil kit. Good advise from the Dan-o, don't whack it till the bike warms up. I usually wait till I'm at about 30 psi at idle before leaving. It takes another 3-8 miles to fully warm up. The popped oil o-ring is for real. And, you'll not be able to tell it's bulging out by how she runs. That's, untill it fully pops out. Then you'll
know very shortly, as you decide where you're sending your engine to be rebuilt. I wouldn't run without a gauge. Just my HO though.
Steve-o

Yeah, nothing to worry about that. If anything that seems higher than normal. Mine never reads above 60-62 or so even when cold. The stock bypass is supposed to be 58-60 or something.

I have like 2-3 psi indicated at hot idle.

You might notice those readings dip lower once the motor really heats up, like if you're in traffic for a bit.

Great that is what I wanted to hear. I have never had a gauge on a bike so I had no idea what normal was. Boy if i had a car with 23psi at 3k I would not run it long. lol. Thanks guys

Yup, normal
I'm kissing 80 psi on warmup.

instruments.jpg

Latest posts

Back