Now I've done it (mixture screws)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eatatjoz

Reaction score
What's the best way to extract mixture screws?
Please don't say "e-z-out"

Long story:
These things haven't moved in 21 years. I decided that it was time to correct a rich condition and found them seized.
I then soaked them in 10-n-1 for two days and started turning. I got no more than 3/4 of a turn, so I soaked them again. Next day showed no progress, so I lightly bumped them with a hammer a few times and got a little further.
Back and forth, back and forth, etc...
I'm not rich anymore, but I only have two turns available. The slots are pretty much gone. These things have got to come out, and the heads aren't going to make it!

Short story: I screwed up the mixture screws for the first time in my life. Help?

(I did get one of them out:punk::confused2::clapping:)

Can I cut a new slot or anything besides the E-Z-out?

Well, I've been pretty sucessfull at removing them but I charge $50 to do it (I don't charge if I can't get it done).

What I have that you could try is:

A special bushing that allows my drill bit to be prefectly centered. The I drill completely through the screw with the 30 bit (I have some special length bits that jsut go through and not into the seat area).

From there I try to extract the screw (with a ground down extractor). I have developed the feel for when the extractor is about to break so i give up on that if it doesn't free it self.

Then if it's not out I go ahead and drill it out the screw to the size just under the thread diameter. I then have a special tap which I can clean the brass out of the threads with.

When it's all done you put a new A/F screw set back in (screw, spring, washer, o-ring).

Sean Morley

You may be getting three carbs, but I'm going to try scribing the slots in the head first.
If I think I'm about to screw up the carb body, or get in over my head, they're yours.

You've got the tools and experience, so you're one up on me.

Anybody have any other Ideas before I send them to the pro?

Update.
Looks like I'm down to fifty bucks now!
I'm still patiently soaking and twisting on the last one, but it may need Sean's easy out after all is said and done.

and Ewww at the gunk and whatever else this stuff is on the springs, washers, and o-rings. After seeing that stuff, I've got to tear them down or I'll never be happy.

hey man, don't give up yet. I also want to make sure you know the price is $50 per carb and can be expensive but cheaper then a new set. I would probably help you out and do it for less to if you haven't completly boogered them up too.

Sean

Update.
Looks like I'm down to fifty bucks now!
I'm still patiently soaking and twisting on the last one, but it may need Sean's easy out after all is said and done.

and Ewww at the gunk and whatever else this stuff is on the springs, washers, and o-rings. After seeing that stuff, I've got to tear them down or I'll never be happy.

Maybe this is real reason Yamaha had them sealed? Mine were pretty dreadful as well.

Some blind plugs would keep a lot of that gunk out.

Maybe this is real reason Yamaha had them sealed? Mine were pretty dreadful as well.

Some blind plugs would keep a lot of that gunk out.

A light coat of anti seize on each screw and 1/4" rubber plugs (buy at a hardware store) will do the trick - keeps the crap out of these holes.

A light coat of anti seize on each screw and 1/4" rubber plugs (buy at a hardware store) will do the trick - keeps the crap out of these holes.

You could also put a bit 'O grease in the hole after installing them and then add the rubber plug!:thumbs up:

hey man, don't give up yet. I also want to make sure you know the price is $50 per carb and can be expensive but cheaper then a new set. I would probably help you out and do it for less to if you haven't completly boogered them up too.

Sean

I'm good to go so far. If I have the slightest thought that I can't get them out myself, they're being shipped to you.
50 bucks is a bargain for the time it's taking me to get these things out.
I've still got a week until the new screws come in, so hopefully I'll have the last one out by then.
I'm trying to avoid your service, but I won't screw up the bodies either.

I know the limits.

oh and getting them back in isn't a big deal.
My last Seca had nothing on this!
I guess that's what I get for buying a Max out of a barn.
The last one I got out came as a solid unit... Screw washer, and o-ring was one piece!
I'm suprised that it ran as good as it did.

Back