Octane on bigger engines?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Is it required to run 92 or 93 octane in 1500 engines or can you get away with midgrade (89)?

87 is fine on most street engines. Some higher comp ratios (over 11-12) need more.

Sean

octane is more mis understood than exhaust back pressure. timing and cylinder pressure are what determine you octane needs

i ride with my gf and I on the bike so i run premium just to be safe. i aint bickering over 50 cents.

Nope, the higher the octane when not needed means an incomplete fuel burn which will lead to carbon build up and loss in power. Run only the octane you need. 99% of most of these bikes will not need more then 87.

Sean

Actually I would recommend you use 87 on non-mod engines..higher will leave more carbon deposits..as a found out on my original engine

Since the question was on the 1500 motors I can can say I use 89 or 90 with no problem. My bike is 11:1 and 160 HP plus on any given day. I think PCW sign off okay on either the 87 or 89, But,,,, If I had a 12:1 I would definitely ask the engine builder.

rick

What will be the consequences if I try to use 87 and it's not the proper octane? Rough running? Rick.. PCW did my 1570 and he mentioned that he test rode the bike on premium so I was just wondering if I could drop down to 89 or 87.

An engine that large and probably with larger cams I would stick with the 89 minimum and maybe even the premium. You can take a look at your plugs to get an idea if you are getting complete fuel burn as well as if you are getting any detonation. There are plug pics online I am sure to show the various things to look for.

Sean

remember the good ole days when you could hear pining/knocking in your engine and know you had a problem. now with all the computer retards and sensors and stuff, you have no idea.

Sean plugs look good... the right side ones look slightly moist compared with the left side which look dry. Don't know if adjustment is necessary, runs fine, maybe just a touch rich on the right?

Might be able to simply adjust the a/f screw on that carb. Otherwise I wouldn't change it.

Sean

Back