Oil Consumption

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect that unless you are directly involved with the design to the engine you can't know how much the materials used and manufacturing processes have changed. Just because a component looks the same doesn't mean it is.

There is no difference between the way a camshaft in a Gen1 Vmax is ground from, say, the one in my wife's 2016 Volvo S60. You put a cam lobe of them both under a microscope and they're going to look exactly the same.

And, as I pointed out before, synthetics last at least twice as long (three times as long depending on the mineral oil) making them more economical in the long run.

There is a reason why we no longer have to run engines in and change the oil every 600 miles.
Whilst you may be correct that the basic manufacturing process hasn't change (but it might have?) the accuracy, tolerance control and surface finishes definitely have.
Without significant improvement in manufacture and lubrication engines would not be able to run on 0W 30 oils and I suspect our Maxii wouldn't appreciate them if we tried.

Whilst you are correct about the enhanced durability of modern lubricants they don't appear to have extended the time/ mileage between service intervals (at least here in the UK) which has stalled at 12 months or 12K. There was a period when that wasn't the case and they were extended beyond that. However, the dealer body soon realised that longer service intervals meant reduced revenue and safety related problems may not be picked up. Service intervals were therefore shortened again.
So whilst oils are probably more than capable of lasting longer the benefit hasn't filtered down to the end user.

But in the end, if you change it enough, you can run the cheapest oil you can find and it's not going to make any substantial difference. It's all just posturing and old wives tales that date back to the original STP oil treatment coming on the scene.

Spot on and I suspect that the additives we are tempted to add to the oil aren't necessary.

IMO the right oil for your engine (with a few caveats) is the one you are content to put into it.
I am sceptical that in the Max the additional cost of semi or fully synthetic oils give any tangible benefit particularly if you continue to change it at the intervals recommended by Yamaha.

It strikes me that is like buying a Ferrari* and then driving on the motorway at 70 m.p.h.
There are plenty of alternatives that will do just the same but with less outlay.
At least with the super car others can see what you are driving; with oil no-one knows.

* Other high performance cars are available.

My uncle was a chief mechanic for Toyota for 50 years. My grandfather on my mother's side worked for GM for 40 years. I worked in machine shop boring engines, grinding and polishing cranks and more for 8 years.

They haven't really changed.

Oil change intervals are set by the oil maker, not the engine manufacturer. The only reason Yamaha recommends changing your oil every 4,000 miles is because that is what Yamalube, that comes in it from the factory, recommends. If you go to certain mineral oils, that can change to 2,000 miles.

Valvoline Mineral Oil for motorcycles, for instance, recommends you change the oil every 3,000 miles. With Mobil 1 they recommend every 7,500.

Last edited:
Oil change intervals are set by the oil maker, not the engine manufacturer. The only reason Yamaha recommends changing your oil every 4,000 miles is because that is what Yamalube, that comes in it from the factory, recommends. If you go to certain mineral oils, that can change to 2,000 miles.

Whilst I am sure that the lubricant suppliers will have provided their recommended change interval you are ignoring the commercial implications of extended servicing to which I referred in my previous post.

Longer service intervals may be good for the end user but a not good for manufacturer or those who service vehicles.
Longer service intervals = less customer visits = less revenue = less profit. Given that it is the gross profit from the sale of labour and parts together with that from finance deals that provide the majority of profit for a dealer any reduction in that revenue stream is not welcome.
Fewer customer visits also reduces the opportunity for add on sales and the potential for safety related items to become critical increases.
The cynic in me thinks that it is in the manufacturers interest to continue to sell lubricants that are significantly more expensive than conventional alternatives as the gross profit will be higher.

With Mobil 1 they recommend every 7,500.

That's strange, Mobil 1 is suitable for my MB A Class which has a service interval of 12m or 12K. Porsche specify Mobil 1 and they give a maximum of 20K between oil changes
If what you say is correct then it would seem that MB and Porsche (and I suspect others) have ignore the advice of Mobil?

So whilst the lubricant manufactures will a service life for their products it is the commercial interests of manufacturer and those who service vehicles that will determine service intervals.

The 7500 miles is specifically for the Vmax with the 10 w 40 4t racing.

All of the figures I gave in that last section were relative to the Vmax only. I thought I had made that pretty clear.

Why you're switching to Porsche is beyond me.

You wrote:
Oil change intervals are set by the oil maker, not the engine manufacturer.

I used the example to illustrate how two manufactures using the same oil specify different change intervals and therefore it is not the oil producers that specify change periods.
It may be that motorcycle manufactures adopt a different policy but as they are subject to the same commercial pressures I doubt that.

Latest posts

Back