Oil Consumption

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calimus

Reaction score
So, I've heard that the Max is a bit of an oil eater. That being the case, whats normal usage under what kinds of riding conditions?

Obviously, the more time spent in vboost should net more oil usage, but whats acceptable and what could be an indicator to a larger problem?

Im not sure if its a problem or not but mine generally seems to lose about 1/2 a quart every change. I change it right around 3K, anbd I ride it HARD

Ken, have you done a compression test? Also, check for leaks or oil in the coolant.

Check you airbox too, you'll probably find some in there. There must be some type of valve that can go inline with the vacuum hose to stop it from sucking up oil.

I think there is, one comes with a Stage 7 kit. Right Shawn?

maleko89 said:
I think there is, one comes with a Stage 7 kit. Right Shawn?

I know there is the puke can :barf:for the Stage 7 but I was thinking of something for a stock air box.

well, My bike is all stock, and I didn't have any oil hudini acts till over the winter when I was running thinner oil.

Granted, the winter here in Ga is fairly mild. But since then It's been playing in the back of my mind. When I take the Max to work, I have about 20 miles of highway travel where I can let the ponies loose. Best of all there is a 5 mile section that is almost always devoid of any traffic so it's only my ass if something should happen.

So with the temps coming up I wanted to ask about this and see what was normal. So far what I'm reading tells me I'm falling in line fairly well.

Running a heavier oil, say like 20W50, will lessen it's consumption somewhat. The Max engine is no more an oil eater than any other high performance motor. High mileage and high revs will wear rings and valve seals.

maleko89 said:
Ken, have you done a compression test? Also, check for leaks or oil in the coolant.

I havent done a compression test. But there are no leaks, and I havent noticed any oil in the coolant. Does synthetic have anything to do with it?

sounds like you may be having some general wear in the engine. It may even be something as simple as worn (not worn out) valve stem seals. Every time you start the bike you are going to lose a bit of oil until the seals heat up and expand - sealing the stems again.

Unless you are really loosing a lot of oil between changes (1 qt or more) and the bike is running well. I would not worry all that much about it.

Thicker oil is not going to leak or burn off as much simply because it won't go past small imperfections in the seals as well. The Synt oil is made of very small particules and finds its way past a lot of stuff that normal or thinker oil won't.

You can run it but just be aware you will use more of it and need to check the level more often.

later,
Sean

thanks for the info.

I was running synth before, but Ive noticed that I loose less if I run a blend or regular oil.

If runs extremely strong, and I've never lost as much as 1qt. The bike is a 95 and runs great, so Im not that worried

I have had my Vmax for 2 years now and I haven't noticed much oil loss.
I just had a big service and didn't notice anything.
I am using only fully synthetic oil.
The bike has done 23500 miles.
I just noticed in the last 2 days a small bit of noticable oil smoke on start up.
Never noticed it before.
Rings, valves? or just cold weather?

Marky_max said:
I just noticed in the last 2 days a small bit of noticable oil smoke on start up.
Never noticed it before.
Perhaps what you are seeing is a combination of steam and rich mixture from the choke, Like Shawn said, wait 'till the engine warms and then look. Mine's an 04 with 10K and it also shows a little smoke on start-up but that's normal. No worries mate.

Check oil level, they might have overfilled a little.

Marky_max said:
Never noticed it before.
________
iolite portable vaporizer

Last edited:
hey, to bring kind of a dead topic to life, but my bike never saw low oil until this past oil change. I am going to do a new oil change shortly,however i wanted your guys opinions. i have about 1700 miles since the last oil change (right before brownie run 5/30), and it seems to be a bit low, hard to tell tho b/c of the change depending on the surface. I have done 2 things that i had never done before though when i changed the oil last.

a. installed a COO oil pressure gauge. no leaks though. check every few times after riding no oil under the bike or on the fittings.
b. ran it at about 80 mph for a full tank of gas for about 900 - 1100 miles of that 1700. would that contribute? just having the speedo at 80 and the RPMs around 5500 there for all 110+ miles until the fuel light came on?

not sure how much i'm loosing tho either. seems to me that every surface i check it on it looks different. i know i'm loosing a bit tho b/c the oil level light comes on during 85% accel where as before it would have to be 100% and not even then sometimes...

so how do you guys check oil? centre stand or both tires on the ground? my oil level now on what i think is pretty level ground on the center stand is a bit below the center of the two marks so its OK but i think its def lower than it was, hard to tell accept for the oil light comming on a BIT easier.

or maybe i'm just paranoid.

High speed long duration runs WILL cause it to use more oil. I wouldn't worry about it to much. I'd just keep an eye on it.

I run a 10W40 oil and with 70,000k on the motor use an insignificant amount of oil. I change the oil at about 3,000ks.

If I forget what mileage I last changed it at, I'll do the change when an oil sample turns white blotting paper (like a paper towel) dark instead of honey coloured.

I've only ever had to top up the oil by about 250mls in the heat of summer after long, high speed, highway runs.

Warming up the motor before you ride will greatly reduce engine wear and oil burning.

I run a 10W40 oil and with 70,000k on the motor use an insignificant amount of oil. I change the oil at about 3,000ks.

If I forget what mileage I last changed it at, I'll do the change when an oil sample turns white blotting paper (like a paper towel) dark instead of honey coloured.

I've only ever had to top up the oil by about 250mls in the heat of summer after long, high speed, highway runs.

Warming up the motor before you ride will greatly reduce engine wear and oil burning.

good to know. i'm gonna have to keep an eye careful on one specific location so i can tell actual loss if there is anything significant

How many miles do you have on the bike? Low mileage engines can burn a little oil initially especially if ran for long periods at high rpm.

Heh i just realized the OP doesn't actually have a Max yet. :p

Back