oil leaking onto exhaust pipe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

407Jlew

Reaction score
I have two VMaxs and both have oil leaking onto the exhaust pipes right behind the foot peg area. The oil starts to smoke after running for a few minutes. Almost looks like an exhaust leak at first. I haven't had time to dig into the issue yet but I was wondering if this is common and if anyone can help identify where the oil is coming from. Thanks.

If you are talking about the LH side then I would start with the copper washer that goes under one of the lower middle gear fasteners.

Do you have a picture of where that is located? Or could you give me a more detailed description of where I should look? Thanks.

It is the lowest one on the middle gear cover, the only one that oil comes out from when you remove the fasteners. It should be fitted with a copper washer.
It's #21 here, the washer is #22

I experienced the same symptoms with my 2002. Turned out to be the rear valve cover gasket leaking. Actually both valve cover gaskets were leaking but the oil from the rear cover migrated down to the head pipes and did what you are describing. The rear cover gasket isn't too bad to replace, but the front one is a real PITA.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. I'll post an update once I have more info.

Back