oil oil oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildman98

Reaction score
Well heres the deal this is what i am running in my bike 20w50 castrol gtx with 12oz of lucas.:biglaugh: Never had a prob last year. Some guy i no told me his buddy blew his bike up with regular motor oil:confused2:.I beleave there is more to the story than that.:ummm: I never had clutch slipping or any ticking in the motor.:clapping: I run castrol and lucas in everything i have:punk: so any info bad or good would help do not want to hurt this thing. thanks guys BILL

This horse has been dead for a long time and people still keep beating it. I've always run regular car oil in my bikes and NEVER had a problem with clutches or otherwise. I've recently converted to Rotella 15-40 (diesel engine oil) under the advice of many people who ride. I can't speak for any other additives though.

I THOUGHT THERE WAS MORE TO HIS STORY THAN OIL SCREWING THINGS UP.:rofl_200:

Whatever oil you run just make sure it doesnt have "energy conserving" additives.

This horse has been dead for a long time and people still keep beating it.

+1, really people. How many times is this going to get dragged out from under the bed like a crusty sock and sticky magazine? It gets jerked around for a bit, nothing gets accomplished, and it's tossed aside again.

Not even Jesus H Tapdancing Christ knows what oil is best, so just let it go. File it in your brain with "how the universe formed" and "the meaning of life".

According to other posts I have read on the internet outside of VMAX forum, regular car oil contains anti-friction additives. Our VMAX's have a wet clutch system using the motor oil for lube. Anti-friction additives are not good for the clutch...so I am told. I just use Yamalube full synthetic on my VMAX, why take the chance, what's a couple of bucks more to make sure it is right?

Bill, it sounds like you have found what works for you. If you like that set up and it has been working good for you, continue to run it. Whatever oil you run just make sure it doesn't have "energy conserving" additives and your good to go. At the top of this page click the searchV button and type in " oil " for your search and you will find pages of conversations and debates on the oil topic. I think it's not so much your choice of oil / brand but just make sure you do regular oil changes.

You'll find I might know a thing or two on these engines if you search around this forum (and the internet). Use whatever oil you want as long as it doesn't have the friction modifiers and isn't fully synthetic.

I've not bought a Yamaha oil (except two stroke oil) in probably 20 years.

Sean

What type of oil to use belongs in the politics and religion section...you will NEVER get a definitive answer to any/all...:bang head:

Personnally I prefer a nice Extra virgin olive oil...:worthy:

:deadhorse: LOL, poor ol' horse!!

2 rules to follow:
(1) As mentioned, no 'energy conserving' additives
(2) The cheapest new oil is superior to the priciest dirty oil
+1 Dan-o. Love the 15-40 Rotella T, used to get it free at work, got 5 gals or so.Was used in all GM gas inboards and all but the newest v12 and v16 diesels. I'll look for a farm tractor dealer when I run out. Worked in a Yamaha Watersports dealership for years and never, like Sean, never used Yamaha oil (could be made by anyone), which is way overpriced. Tons of oil threads already. Best oil is the clean stuff in my engine, changed often.

Sean, why do you say no full synthetics?

What oil do you, as THE expert on vmax building and performance, use? As you've said it's not very likely anyone runs these motors harder than you, so if it works for you it should work for anyone.

+1, really people. How many times is this going to get dragged out from under the bed like a crusty sock and sticky magazine? It gets jerked around for a bit, nothing gets accomplished, and it's tossed aside again.

Not even Jesus H Tapdancing Christ knows what oil is best, so just let it go. File it in your brain with "how the universe formed" and "the meaning of life".
DID NOT NO THIS WAS SUCH A BAD SUBJECT :shot:

This horse has been dead for a long time and people still keep beating it. I've always run regular car oil in my bikes and NEVER had a problem with clutches or otherwise. I've recently converted to Rotella 15-40 (diesel engine oil) under the advice of many people who ride. I can't speak for any other additives though.

+1 for the Rotella T 15/40 diesel oil, liking it so far...

I am thinking I am going to try the Rotella one of these days. In the meantime we use what's on sale. I do still like the castrol but that's only a mental thing. 10W30, 10W40, 15W40, and even 20W50. The thicker the oil the harder it is to get into neutral. The full synthetic can work but it makes you clutch have to work harder. A DD setup might work for most peoples riding but I want every once of grip I can get from it so I just use dino oil.

Sean

+1 Dan-o. Love the 15-40 Rotella T, used to get it free at work, got 5 gals or so.Was used in all GM gas inboards and all but the newest v12 and v16 diesels. I'll look for a farm tractor dealer when I run out. Worked in a Yamaha Watersports dealership for years and never, like Sean, never used Yamaha oil (could be made by anyone), which is way overpriced. Tons of oil threads already. Best oil is the clean stuff in my engine, changed often.

Tractor Supply Steve-o, decent prices there.

DID NOT NO THIS WAS SUCH A BAD SUBJECT :shot:

Nah, don't give it a second thought wildman....it's just one of those topics like tires that come around every few months and get discussed to death with no final resolution....the reason being that there is no final resolution!

The best oil is the oil you want to use, keep it clean and all will be golden!! :punk: (like the color of new oil!! :rofl_200:)

Back