Oil pressure gauge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum!

Regarding the "popped o-ring" issue, many folks believe that this occurs because of high rpm operation when the oil is cold....and consequently at it's highest pressure. In other words, over-revving the bike after start-up.
How many times have you seen young, inexperienced riders fire up a bike, or a car for that matter, and immediately go wide open throttle -just for kicks, or to impress their friends? This has always made me cringe, knowing that most of the wear that a motor experiences in it's lifetime occurs immediately after cold start up, when lubrication condition is not at it's best.
When I start my '03 cold, I use full choke, to assure the bike will start with minimum cranking. This helps extend the life of the starter clutch, (which is another V-max issue that you will undoubtedly read about) The bike usually starts instantly. I then feather down the choke so that revs are about 1500 or so. The choke comes off completely as soon as possible, usually within a minute. Then, the throttle is not touched, or the bike moved, until I see the temp gauge begin to register.
Another tip when starting the bike, before a day's use, is to set the fuel switch on "res"(reserve), regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank. Let the bike warm up before putting the switch back to the "on" position.
This assures that the reserve function of the switch is working properly. If it's not, better to find out in your garage, then on the highway when the fuel light begins to glow.
If you haven't already, join the excellent British V-max forum, "V-max chat" (www.vmaxchat.co.uk). Lots of seasoned owners, and a huge database of information. Very similar to this site. And back to that nasty o-ring......on both sites you will find info regarding the use of a fibre-optic camera to check the condition of the ring. This allows checking without dropping the oil pan.
Cheers!

I couldn't agree more re warming the bike gently and having mechanical sympathy.

Last month I was selling a2009 Harley 1200 Sportster ( first and last HD )
and a muppet came to view it with his "knowledgeable" friend.

Said knowledgeable one told me that he also had a similar bike and asked if he could start it. I pointed out that the bike had not been started for days and even put my hand on the exhaust to show him.

The bike started instantly and this RSOLE started to blip the throttle hard to show his mate, the prospective purchaser how a Harley sounds.

I shouted at him not to rev a cold engine like that and reached over and took the keys out.

Both of them said that it was fine to rev the bike like that and I must be hiding something if I was worried about the bike being revved hard from cold . They said i could keep the bike if I was going to try and tell them what to do when testing it. Thick stupid people !

Sold it for more the following week. :biglaugh:

That Harley had without doubt the worst build quality on any bike that I have ever owned in 45 years of motorcycling.

Yes it is a bit of kit i have had sportsbikes before being 23 i tended to like them more untill i rode the vmax i was hooked insantly sold my car to get a vmax of my own never looked at another bike since

As I suspected Paul, a large age difference between us ( now 60 :confused2: )and I have a feeling that you will ride a lot harder and faster than I am now comfortable with. Now where did I put my glasses and hearing aid ?:biglaugh:

Do you goto the bike rallys or meets DAZ?

Hi Paul, I probably will but I have only had the Vmax for a week.

I do go to some of the Moto Guzzi Rallyes and have had a good time. Camping in May of last year though it was snowing in Dumfries and I thought they were going to drop off !

Latest posts

Back