opening day LVD

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeanMax

Reaction score
Brought my new to me 1998 Max out to Lebanon Valley Dragway for opening day, the results were a little dissapointing. Heres my best run...

Reaction ... 0.077
60 foot ... 1.782
1/8 ... 7.378 at 103mph
1/4 ... 11.60 at 114mph

The new max has flat slide carbs and a Kerker exhaust and its, so far, just a few hundreths of a second faster than my 96 with a Marks exhaust and stage one jetting.:bang head: AND..... it just so happened that Darrell, the engine builder for PCW was out running his 9 second Max. He was really cool, letting me drool over his bike and letting me pick his brain. Said the carbs are too big to work well with the stock engine displacement. And UFO carbs tend to go lean at high speed, the head wind didn't help either. Gave me a few tips and some tire pressure advice but what gets me is at about the 1000 foot mark, my shift light comes on and i've wound out 4th gear. if i shift into 5th at that time would it be better? the light is set at a conservitive 8500rpm, at the end of the track its just over 9000. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks! Zak

Attachments

• IMG_4954.jpg
    IMG_4954.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 23
zak, im not saying its good advice ..but I ran a 11.187 @ 123mph at LVD on a stock motored chain drive max, I ran the stock wheel tire combo at 16 psi.I was WARNED AGAINST IT ,due to high end wobble but sure did hook. oh yeah,....RPM .....wasnt watching.

Attachments

• 92 MAX W CHAIN DRIVE quter mile time 1998.jpg
    92 MAX W CHAIN DRIVE quter mile time 1998.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 14
not sure if it's the same with bikes or not but you mph say mid 11's, so you about right for your power. Unless it's different for bikes, but if that were an car time slip, you'd be right on.

Sorry Zak....I can't help you with any racing tips but sure would like to watch you run.

When are you going there again?
Im up there almost every wednesday night starting may 5

I thought the shift point would be at 9500 to keep it in the power curve, Just my thought
I set it a little low to give myself time to react when i saw it. meaning by the time i saw it and shifted, the revs would have went past 8500. will be raising it 9ish the next time out.

zak, im not saying its good advice ..but I ran a 11.187 @ 123mph at LVD on a stock motored chain drive max, I ran the stock wheel tire combo at 16 psi.I was WARNED AGAINST IT ,due to high end wobble but sure did hook. oh yeah,....RPM .....wasnt watching.
Damn Rick! The PCW guy said the best was 15psi but i might have trouble keeping it on the rim:hmmm: Said to start at 25psi and work it from there. Thinking about switching to a shinko rear tire as well, you guys seem to love it and can't go wrong for $80 Thanks for the replies!

Back