over racing bar riser install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odieoh24

Reaction score
as i mentioned before, i just purchased a set of over racing bar risers. the install seemed pretty straight forward and required only a set of allen wrenches. i figured i could handle this no problem. well, as past experience should have taught me, i ran into a few little snags which are currently keeping me from installing them! first issue is the fact that the bike is FAR from stock at this point and i'm no longer running the stock triples. i currently run a completely chromed 06 R1 front end via the Otec triple trees. we'll get to the other issues in the next post as this first one is also a test to see how to put the pics of the how to on here for future reference in some logical order. so here goes
pic of over racing bar riser kit-very pricey, but very sweet

pic of the bike with the current front end (06 R1 chromed using Otec triples, stock bar mount and drag bars)

figured te pic thing out so i'll continue. as i was saying i'm having trouble with the install using the otec triples but, i'm gonna run thru setting them up on the stock triples as it will be easier to explain the problem i'm encountering. once i get the pieces to remedy the issue i'll post the pics of removing the stock bar clamps. i woulda done it today but i was in a hurry to get everything back together after the failed install and didnt break out the camera when i tore it apart! we'll have to start with the headlight/front signal shroud, stock bar mount and speedo already removed. if i can get them off anyone should be able to get to this point lol.
pic of stock top triple. off bike cause i'm running the otecs

attach right and left side risers to triples from bottom of triple with 10mm allen cap screw. i'll explain how to tell right and left in a following pic

now place the curved bracket against the little "feet" in the front of the risers. be sure the flat side is against the risers so the headlight shroud will line up as i does on the stock mount and use the shroud bolts to secure the headlight/front signal shroud and bracket to the risers. looks like you should install the speedo to the curved bracket PRIOR to reinstalling the shroud/front signal bolts

in this pic the curved bracket is temporarily being held on by wrong screws. the holes they are in line up with the holes in the "feet". the holes in the feet are off center and you'll want the short sides towards the center. i.e. the right side riser as you face the bike will have the longer side of the off center hole also to the right. this offset allows the curved bracket to fit the feet flush. if they are reversed you'll notice the feet slightly overhang the bracket. you'll use the stock screws that secure the headlight/turn signal mount to the stock bar mount to hold everything together. the remaining 2 holes are to mount the speedo. which should have been done earlier
next-line up the bars and tighten everything down.

once installed they really are a piece of art! now to the problem i encountered today trying to get these on the otec triples. heres a pic of the otec setup-take special notice of the round spacers on the top triple!

these actually attach from the bottom of the top triple with a short 10 mm bolt. once the bolt is removed they slip out of the hole they sit in. there is also a top and a bottom to them. the top is flat and has a hole in the center with the same thread as the posts which stick out from the stock bar mount.

these 2 spacers have to be screwed onto the posts of the stock bar mount before they are secured to the top triple! the bottom of the spacer is shaved down on each side so you can get an adjustable wrench on there to snug them against the stock bar mount threaded posts

once the 2 spacers are attached to the stock bar mount they slip back into the holes on the top triple and are fastened from the bottom. then the bars go on the same as stock.
the problem with using the risers with the otecs is the way the risers need to attach. the bottom thread is a slightly different pitch than the top thread and this keeps a longer bolt from threading all the way thru the spacer and into the bottom of the risers thus attaching them.
two possible fixes- 1) open end 10mm bolt threaded to pitch of stock bar mount posts on one side and threaded to the pitch of the hole where the risers fasten thru the triple. would require measuring the depths of each end of the spacer to make sure its not too short or too long. OR
2) have two new spacers made with the centers tapped completely thru with the same thread as the bottom of the risers. that way a longer bolt can be threaded all the way thru the bottom of the top triple and each spacer and continue to thread into the bottom of the risers. this is the route i will take and tomorrow i will get the pitch numbers for all the screws to be used. i have contacted a couple of guys who do this type of work and am awaiting replies. i will also check locally to see what there is here in town. if anyone wants to quote me a price the dimensions are as follows
OD of spacer is 17.41mm or (.685 in)
Length of spacer is 54.68mm or (2.155 in)
these measurements were taken with a set of digital calipers so they are precise
there will need to be a tapped hole at least 2/3 of the way thru the piece, and the hole must go all the way thru the spacer. the unthreaded portion will have to allow the threaded screw to pass all the way thru. or if it's easier the hole can be threaded completely thru whatever is easiest. the bolt thread size will be 10mm and i believe 1.50 pitch-i'll double check this as the directions for install say its 1.25. i checked at the hardware store today and thought it fit 10x1.50 though. once i sort the spacer issue i'll post pics of the tear down and final install so anyone else installing these, either on the stock triples or the otec triples, can do it without any problems. if you made it thru the whole post thanks i appreciate you time.

later odieoh24

Odieoh, I wanted to know where you got these risers. I have a OR fork brace and see that matching risers are made to match it. By the way, no drag bars after moving to these risers? I know you mentioned they were pricey. Care to say how pricey? Over 500.00 ? Thanks if you find you don't like them let me know. Thanks, Patmax

Odieoh, I wanted to know where you got these risers. I have a OR fork brace and see that matching risers are made to match it. By the way, no drag bars after moving to these risers? I know you mentioned they were pricey. Care to say how pricey? Over 500.00 ? Thanks if you find you don't like them let me know. Thanks, Patmax

i got them from a friend i've done alot of business with in fla (i.e. all otec clear covers-clutch,midgear, alternator, waterpump, cams and carb diaphrams, all the small otec accesories-trans fill bolt, trans breather cap, oil fill bolt, shock tops, ignition housing cover, otec rearsets, side mount license plate holder, extra carbs jetted stage 7, the v4 carb inlet covers and probably some other stuff i cant think of off the top of my head) he's going out of business in fla and has had these for about 2-3 years. he brought them here when he moved from europe. business has really fallen off and he's closed the shop and been selling off the inventory on ebay. he thinks he'll be moving back to europe within the next year. it was the only set he had. he has contacts overseas so if you really wanted them i could probably get ahold of another set, but i doubt they'll be as cheap as i got these-sorry. and that's only if they're still available. i dont see them listed on their website anymore. last i checked they were at least 300 euros without the shipping-thats already close to $470.00!! and i WILL still be running the drag bars. the set in the pics are the stockers i replaced long ago. i think i found a guy who is gonna do the spacers i need to get these on the bike. i've decided to go with a plain round spacer drilled straight thru the center so i can slide the bolt in under the triples ,thru the spacer and into the risers. still looking for quotes from any qualified machinists looking for some easy sidework.

later odieoh24

first off, great write up! Second, thanks for the reply. I am sure I have seen the eBay ads for all those trick bits. Looks like I need to start dating a nice Japanese girl with contacts back home! Hope you get that machinist. There are some talented guys on this forum. Sincerely, Patmax

Hi just was scanning through your post here and saw you need some machinist help so I wanted to chime in. If you havent found someone to make you the spacers yet I can do it. Just let me know. I wouldn't charge much for something that simple. Not sure if I have a 10mm tap on hand I can check later today.

i got them from a friend i've done alot of business with in fla (i.e. all otec clear covers-clutch,midgear, alternator, waterpump, cams and carb diaphrams, all the small otec accesories-trans fill bolt, trans breather cap, oil fill bolt, shock tops, ignition housing cover, otec rearsets, side mount license plate holder, extra carbs jetted stage 7, the v4 carb inlet covers and probably some other stuff i cant think of off the top of my head) he's going out of business in fla and has had these for about 2-3 years. he brought them here when he moved from europe. business has really fallen off and he's closed the shop and been selling off the inventory on ebay. he thinks he'll be moving back to europe within the next year.

later odieoh24

Are you talking about Joe at Boxenstopp???

Are you talking about Joe at Boxenstopp???

nope, it would be my friend jai from motoboutique. he's on ebay under bornfightin and sells alot of otec stuff. him and his wife used to have a shop in fla, but hard times have hit everywhere. they're great people who have always treated me fairly and done me righteous on many purchases. i really hope things turn around for them an they can reopen sometime down the road. correct spacers should be here middle of next week. i f--ed up the measurements on the first ones lol. i'm gonna finish the how to after dinner and uploading the pics to photobucket. i'll finish it off later in the week when the spacers arrive.

later odieoh24

Back