overflowing carb

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MONTREALMAX

Reaction score
did a complete rebuild of the carbs. turn the key on and the pump fills the bowls. start the bike and the overflow for the left rear carb starts pissing gas non stop. tried tapping to loosen float and draining and tapping all to no avail. removed the carbs again and opened up the float bowls.
the float appeared to be sitting about 1 mm lower into the half moon which is strange because i set them to sit just flush at the edge of the moon shape on the casting. not sure why it has moved. the float seems to bind on the post if i lift it up against the carb body (does that make sense?? poor description perhaps). everything seems to be ok....there is no crud in the inlet valve and it seems to move freely.......

I am not a carb expert by any stretch but know my way around enough to know i do not know.....ya know?
it starts up perfectly perhaps i can bungee cord a jerry can under the overflow and blissfully ride on.......:eusa_dance:

Are you sure the float is fully seated on post? As i all the way down? It seems when you put the cover back on it lowered the float and made you way rich.

is there a thread on bench testing the float and inlet valve?

Only way to do that is remove that carb from the rack and connect fuel pump directly to fuel inlet of that carb. Try setting the float to the 1/2 moon and reinstall cover. Remove the cover again and see if you float setting changed.

good question i do not know i was careful when putting the cover back on but who knows maybe i did would this cause it to be so rich it woudl piss out the overflow?

i am just trying to eliminate a mistake i have made so i won't end up pulling the carbs again

all this work has taught me a lot about this machine in short order

all this work has taught me a lot about this machine in short order[/quote]

That would be the upside in a difficult situation.
at least you won't be intimidated by the Max's carbs anymore when you get them right.

I had the same problem recently, i did everything you could think of, 2 things seemed to cure the problem, (1) i changed the needles in all the carbs, while you can not see if they are worn out unless they are torn, i got just the needles from oldbikersbarn.com, and they were really cheap, no need to change the seat from what i have seen , the needles are rubber, and the seats are metal. (2) change the fuel filter to a fram # g 4164, buy it at you local auto parts store not those damn box stores !! The factory, and k-n filters i was using seemed to be spittig parts of the filter out and getting caught in needles, repetativly with no warning. This seemed to raise my float level from additional pressure, and make the carbs overflow out the top, and making the bike run really rich and terrible. I set my loats absolutly perfect 4 seperate times, and every time this overflow problem happened that specific carb float setting had changed ! And i found these tiny pieces of tan material in the bowl, finally i figured it was the filter, i reset the floats, changed the filter to the above fram , and have been riding for weeks now with no issue, i spent weeks having this problem, and even posted it here, there were alot of good ideas, which i tried , bit the above was the cure. One member told me about his bike having the needle issue, and it helped so try that.

Mark you are right the float tang was binding against the float bowl cover guess I did not push it all the way down on the pin I guess was too tired when I was wrenching the other night ....great call would have never even looked at that

finally got her all back together !!!:clapping:

took it for a quick spin around the block....no leaks from the carbs yay!!
no hesitation detected

will wait for a full on long ride and heat soak to draw final conclusion

thanks to everyone for all of your help on this forum

vmaxforum is priceless for a new owner lost in the woods a little

I am now addicted to this site......next up mods !!!

Merci beaucoup tout le monde !!!!

Back