PJ1 engine paint

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn kloker

Reaction score
Don't buy it or even think about putting it on your vmax motor.Mine has done nothing but come off since putting it on.$9 a can too.Trust me,It sucks!

Did you prep the engine good, and use a good primer? I used that stuff to paint my tank and fenders and plan to do the engine and frame with it this winter. I read somewhere that you have to warm the engine up and let it cool down a few times to cure the paint real good. Ive asked around on a few forums about engine paint and everyone recomends PJ1. A friend of mine used bbq grill paint and it turned out real nice except where gas leaked out of the overflow.

Yeah... I saw Shawns motor... Looked really good...:whistlin:

I guess powder coating is better then...:thumbs up:

powder coating engine parts is a pain since you have to go through and remove it anywhere the gasket surfaces are. BUT - once it's on there it's on there!

Sean

powder coating engine parts is a pain since you have to go through and remove it anywhere the gasket surfaces are. BUT - once it's on there it's on there!

Sean

The High temp blue tape they have works real well though. Just put it on the gasket surfaces and you are golden...:thumbs up:

Right?:ummm:

not always. The last set of heads I had done sucked but that's been a number of years ago. There is a lot to mask off when you get any engine components done and any change in thickness in certain areas messes up match.

Also, to powdercoat the engine I would suggest to take it all the way apart since it is baked at 400 degrees to cure it. The engine might actually survive the process intact except the valve cover gaskets.

Sean Morley

"aftermarket" engine paint is a iffy propasistion to begin with its a pain to get all the parts all clean and preped, and there is a chance that what you use to clean the parts will effect the paints adhesion, and finish. I have painted parts for my car using the same method to clean them, painted the parts at the same time from the same can, and had on come out perfect while the other looked like hammered shit.

Last edited:
I don't trust anything from a rattle can anymore.I did a fazer engine with por 15 hardnose paint from a cupgun that still looks wet and shiney over a year later.

I have done amazing spray can jobbies - and others that looked like I dumped vomit on the item.

It seems to be hit and miss.

I too am looking to paint a piece where my engine is chipping.
________
volcano vaporizer

Last edited:
Back