Please Help Me!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenniSM

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but times are hard....

My headlight and gauges are not working. I'm currently in Collinsville, IL (a long way from PA in the cold). I have no low beams/high beams or dash lights. Anyone have any ideas???

Please call 570-574-0434 and let me know!!! I have to be in PA by Tuesday afternoon to get my son off the school bus. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

What kind of vehicle is it????

Did you check the fuses??

The fusible links??

Might be the headlight switch itself......

Hard to diagnose without being there.......:confused2:

Does the bike ride fine and everything else work other than that? Have you done any recent electrical work to the bike? Do you have any tools with you?

I may not be much of a mechanic, but I'm getting this '85 VMax from Omaha to PA in record time.

Thanks for the call, it is VERY appreciated.

Oh.......I didn't catch it was the bike:ummm:

Glad you got it going.......:clapping:

Good job Sean:worthy:

sounded an awful lot like the fuse. i'd be interested to hear what it was. glad ur all fixed upl

im a newbe but i am truley amazed at the dedication and true helpfulness of Sean ive read most of the posts on the entire forum and am a true believer now that with people like Sean and many others to many to name I would truley like to thank all you guys too for the help to the new guys!!!:eusa_dance:

im a newbe but i am truley amazed at the dedication and true helpfulness of Sean ive read most of the posts on the entire forum and am a true believer now that with people like Sean and many others to many to name I would truley like to thank all you guys too for the help to the new guys!!!:eusa_dance:

Yeah definately is a ton of nice guys on this forum. Gotta say Sean comes to the rescue a lot. This place wouldn't be the same without people like him.

Much simpler then a fuse. It's a very common problem for the start button to stick just enough in to keep the lights from coming on. Pull it out with your finger and they work again. A little WD40 and you're back in business. Might get a video of the next sticky one we get.

Sean

something i would never have thought of. do the gauges still work, just not light up?

Correct. The starter button de-activates the lighting circuit at the same time you are starting the bike to allow more voltage to get to the lights.

Sean

Had the same thing happen on my previous bike...a Suzuki.
This is not a problem unique to Yamaha's. Everyone should file this gem away in their memory banks. Kudo's to all forum members willing to help a brother in trouble.

I would never have come to that conclusion:ummm:

Learn something new every day:clapping:

Wonder how long it would have taken me to discover that sticky situation...:rofl_200:

Ill definately be remembering that little trick. Totally makes sense now that you say it.

I was stumped. I pulled fuses and looked all over for maybe a plug or relay that is bad. I was stumped and stuck. It was night time and very dark. I was right outside Saint Louis. I had hand warmers on the bike to. So I could not see the buttons. I started the bike 3 or 4 times too. And the button did not come loose. I wasted over an hour.
When all was said and done, I rode for another 2 hours after that and then got a room for the night. Other then that the RatMax made it from Omaha NE to Wilkes Barre PA with no problems. I had a great time. I did 600 miles a day the first 2 days. And 300 today. I stopped many times to see and do different things. 600 miles a day is a good pace. You get good distance, but still have time to see things.
Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Back