Plug color for a novice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeivan32

Reaction score
I replaced my sparkplugs about a month ago after having some starting troubles. Everything seemed to be great, but since I have only had the bike for about 6 months (96), I wasn't sure if there was a cause to the old and bad plugs or if they just needed replacing. Well, about a week ago it had some problems staying idle without choke. Someone on this site suggested doing the shotgun on the carbs. Did that, have put it all back together and now she won't start. The engine is trying to turn over, but it won't fire. I pulled the plugs and they are pretty black already. Should they be that black at only a month old? What could this be an indication of? Suggestions?

will it wipe off pretty easy with a swipe of a finger across the electrode?
Is it sooty or wet?

Hopefully its just running very rich. Probably wouldn't hurt to do a compression check just to be sure.

I replaced my sparkplugs about a month ago after having some starting troubles. Everything seemed to be great, but since I have only had the bike for about 6 months (96), I wasn't sure if there was a cause to the old and bad plugs or if they just needed replacing. Well, about a week ago it had some problems staying idle without choke. Someone on this site suggested doing the shotgun on the carbs. Did that, have put it all back together and now she won't start. The engine is trying to turn over, but it won't fire. I pulled the plugs and they are pretty black already. Should they be that black at only a month old? What could this be an indication of? Suggestions?

Check plugs for firing my removing and reinserting into caps. If not, try new plugs.

From my experience in tuning carbs, I have just done one for a 96 VMax, when the bike will only idle with the choke on, the culprit is plugged idle/pilot jets. This jet has a very tiny orifice and easy gets block by dirt or shellacking of gasoline. You have to take the carbs apart and remove that part of the carb from the float bowl that holds the main and idle/pilot jets.
Unscrew the jets and soak them in lacquer or acrylic thinner (cheaper than carb cleaner and easier on the skin). Get a strand of wire from a steel wire brush (or get an high E guitar string) and probe the idle/pilot jet hole until you see light. I usually run the length of the guitar string through the hole. Assemble.
If you have done a proper overhauling of the other part of the carb, synchronizing and adjusting the air/fuel mixture, your motor should start right off without even throttling up.

Latest posts

Back