polishing engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
The silver parts on my engine/cylinder case are all yellowed, and I would like to make them shine. Any suggestions? Should I sand them down with increasing grades of wet sandpaper? Can I use a polishing product on them? Can it be done without removing anything? Thanks a lot

The clear has gone yellow. You'll have to sand to the aluminum and then shine and then re clear if you want to, or leave bare.

Make sure to use painters tape on anything you want left alone.

I've seen guys do this and it takes time but it's doable.

Taking the valve covers off and doing them off the engine would be a lot easier.

All the side covers come off easily as well. Might be easier to take them off and have them bead blasted and repainted.

The valve covers can be done in silver chrome and the side covers in black or what ever color you want.

The fins (for lack of a better term) on the engine can be done as posted above.

As chris noted you have options. We sell chrome parts on exchange to make the purdy again and can even paint parts on exchange. The paint holds up a little better then the clear coat does but not as durable as the actual chroming process. Polishing is possible but sucks as you have to continue to polish to maintain the finish. Powdercoating is possible too.

Sean Morley

This winter I want to have all my outer cases and valve covers P/C'd gloss black like the rest of the engine as my clear coat is peeling. The cases have chips and wear spots that I want to clean up.
The P/C does stand up to the typical wear spots, right?

This winter I want to have all my outer cases and valve covers P/C'd gloss black like the rest of the engine as my clear coat is peeling. The cases have chips and wear spots that I want to clean up.
The P/C does stand up to the typical wear spots, right?

Better than paint IMO. The only real down side is you can't quite get the level of shine out of PC.

You can wet sand and buff it, but it's never as good as a solvent based paint.

I have the problem of the clear coat looking rough... really aggravates me. i would like to have my outer cases re done, but I think getting these chromed would be "too shiny," to match the rest of my bike. maybe a high temp clear powder coat.

I will have a better look at the process involved with removing the outer cases when it get warmer out.

Back