Possible different ignitions idea.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelyons50023

Reaction score
Any of the electrical gurus out there think that any of these prouducts could work to make a more programable ignition to use for the vmax.

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/products/sportbikes/dyna_2000/

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/products/sportbikes/arc_2/

Or any kind of msd ignition possibly using the stock pickups, so that it would not require a ton of fab work or a degree from mit.

I also forund this ignition from AEM looks good

http://www.aempower.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=1189

Last edited:
I know that using a dual channel ignition would be out of the question but a four channel would work i would think like the msd and the AEM ignitions.

I know that using a dual channel ignition would be out of the question but a four channel would work i would think like the msd and the AEM ignitions.

A while back I was in contact with a few of the guys from MSD, to no avail they said that none of thier ignitions will work with the Vmax.

Am I wrong to think that replacing your ignition with a non-specific VMax ignition would cause problems with activating your fuel pump? I've spoken to MSD at length about using their MC-4 ignition and no one I spoke to at MSD could say it wouldn't work, most I spoke with said it probably could work (no guarantee's of course). There would be some fabrication involved with the pickup, but it should work.

The thing I 'thought' would be a problem is the factory ignition I thought also controlled the fuel pump activation. Could you simply wire in a separate circuit to activate the fuel pump?

When I spoke to the tech people and even got email from one of the engineers at MSD, the issue of the bike is the odd firing wasted spark. I too originally thought the MC-4 could be tricked into working. but was told a flat out NO. It took me several weeks to get the bad news, before it was always It might, maybe, they still make that bike? then I'd get passed off to another person.

Its a shame I love MSD, I ran thier mag on my drag bike and thier ignition on my XS11 after doing some mods to the pickup.

It is, I was trying to go with an MSD, but after all the go around only to find out it wouldn't work I ended up going with the dynatech unit.

I was running the dynatek, but had to pull it for the COP swap. It's a wash really. I didn't notice a damn bit of difference except for the rev limiter. MPH at the track was identical. I still have it, but won't likely put it back in as I have come to love the COP.

well i guess the only options are the dana 3000 or some halteck unit of some sorts. Darn I was wanting something that was fully programable and replaced the stock unit.

I was running the dynatek, but had to pull it for the COP swap. It's a wash really. I didn't notice a damn bit of difference except for the rev limiter. MPH at the track was identical. I still have it, but won't likely put it back in as I have come to love the COP.

I got the dyna, mainly for the rev limiter and the ignition retard for my nitrous system.

Back