Problem with Crusing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchelljd02

Reaction score
My carbs have been rebuilt, and given a good bill of health. I have a stage 1 Dynojet kit with 160 mains. UNI air filter, and UFO street pro exhaust.

I can accel great, but when I roll off of the throttle slightly to cruise the bike starts to cough and bog down. I'll try and roll the throttle more to accel, but it still coughs/bogs and sounds like it's going to stall. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in, or if I down shift and try to roll back on the throttle. The bike coughs and sounds like it's about to stall.

I basically have to roll to a stop either by holding in the clutch or putting it in neutral. I let it sit and idle a few seconds. Then I'll accel and same problems exists.

Also, I don't know if this means anything or is even related.
Sometimes my bike will show these symptoms if I'm in my Garage with the bike on. I'll blip the throttle and the bike coughs and almost goes to stall. I'll switch my fuel switch to RES, and I can blip the throttle fine and the bike sounds fine. I'll switch it back over to ON and I can blip the throttle about two or three times, but then the symptoms re-appear.

Yes I have a full tank of gas. No, I have not tried to ride with the switch in the RES position.

Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

Jason,

Sounds like its loading up with fuel.
What's the clip position and a/f screws set at?
Might be a little big on the min, have you tried stock jetting. Also any mods on the exhaust

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is "clip" referring to?

A/F is set at 2.5. I haven't touched it since I got them back from a rebuild.

Exhaust is is the UFO street pro 4-2.

I have not tried putting in the stock jets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I'd try clip 2 or 1.5.....in reality ditch the stg one needle. try stock one see if issue goes away....stg 7 would be better but no need to spend the cash. what air filter set up do you have.

Also, I don't know if this means anything or is even related.
Sometimes my bike will show these symptoms if I'm in my Garage with the bike on. I'll blip the throttle and the bike coughs and almost goes to stall. I'll switch my fuel switch to RES, and I can blip the throttle fine and the bike sounds fine. I'll switch it back over to ON and I can blip the throttle about two or three times, but then the symptoms re-appear.

Yes I have a full tank of gas. No, I have not tried to ride with the switch in the RES position.

Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

Jason,[/QUOTE]

Could be that it IS related, Jason. The fuel switch is actually two switches, which both supply power to the fuel pump. Could be that the "ON" switch is corroded, giving only intermittent power to the pump.
Go for a ride with the switch in the RES position. If your bike runs fine, you've found the problem. There are lots of tutorials re checking and cleaning switches in the Electrical forum.
Cheers!

@Miles....I will try to ride in RES and see.

@Tugla...I have a UNI filter. I will check tonight, but I'm 80% sure the stage 1 only has you put a diff washer on the stock needle, and a new spring for the diaphragm. I'll look in spare box where I saved the OEM items.

Jason, I looked in my notes, you have stg 7 springs with sgt 1 needles, 3rd clip down, no shims.

Also, DJ #160 main, DJ #80 PAJ1, DJ150 PAJ2 (I question the DJ #80, wonder if that was written down incorectly and is actually Mikuni?)

Thanks for the info Danny.

I was searching some threads about the low fuel sensor and RES switch. It seems the history of problems fits exactly what's happening with mine.

If it dj main, that should be good....have to think about rest.

But this issue is new with your bike?

Danny...the instructions said the spring was part of the stage 1 kit. All of the components in the kit were part of stage 1.

If its softer and shorter then stock spring like stg 7 is what Danny is getting at.

What's the wide open cut look like.
4g rpm in 4 th gear steady then wake it hard....how does it act....

I'd drop it to clip 1 and 2.25 a/f and try it....
Should see change....if not got something else going on.

Side note, you got stock plugs and gap set correctly right...

Might be adding to the loaded up symptom ....seems most folks have issues with the stg 1 set up....

Ok. The spring is definitely softer.

When you say 1 for the clip, I assume you mean one groove showing from the top?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I had a similar issue with by wifes bike... ended up the floats were not set properly and it was actually starving for fuel after you hit the throttle and backed off... took a few seconds for the fuel to catch up... then it was fine..for a bit.

I could never get the stage one needle to give me anything good but top end performance. It was just too much for my engine. The fuel economy went to hell too. 90 miles and I was looking for the gas station. I believe it might work better with stock springs, like you guys mentioned, it's got stage 7 like springs.

Latest posts

Back