Problems with my new Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres a way to set floats on the bench:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1427

Another method for setting floats in the bike is showed in the sevice manual.
If You dont have a manual grab it from here:
http://vmaxoutlaw.com/

Or haynes from here:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=12450

As for the linkage, just manualy check by hand if theres any free play along the right and left side carbs.
Theres a linkage arm there with pressed in brass sleeves. They can worn somethimes and can couse the easy out of sync.
Brass sleeves are replacable but I think it would be custom job.
Or You can buy new linkage arm.

No 62 on the pivc:
0010.Gif

Absolutely awesome info there Satariel. Thanks :worthy:

So basically i am looking for freeplay with the linkage arm (number 62 in the pic). If so, replace - as the brass ends on it are worn
Yes, am considering shot gunning the carbs, just don't have any air pressure tools to blow thru the carb galleries

Am thinking of buying a carbtune kit. Any web links to syncing Vmax Carbs as well?

The plan is to Get Mark's exhaust on it soon, Put the muscle kit thru the carbs to match and resync the carbs

Ok. All this information is awesome. It is going to be a wet weekend so will have time do to some basic work until i get the other parts.
I would have you over for a beer, but Poland is too far to just drop in to my place! :D

Went out and looked at the bike this morning and the fuel has slowly leaked down to the crank case. It appears very wet at the screw (red arrow) and in the blue arrow it is soaked in Fuel. This is happening to the both left carbs, and rear ride carb. Yamaha have asked me to bring it back, so i will ride it in today.
I am considering just fully rebuilding the carbs as they seem to be causing all my problems. Thoughts?

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 17
The red arrow is pointing at the float bowl drain screw....there may be an o-ring under it, I'm not sure or, did you check it for being snug?

This won't affect your sync but with worn bushings in the throttle linkage I might guess the carbs have seen a lot of use....so a rebuild may not be a bad idea.

Suggestion...get your bike running good in it's current config before adding jet kits & pipes.

Hey Dannymax. Sussed the leak out, it is the O rings behind the drain screws. Got a set for free from the local bearing shop, all fitted, no more leaks. In theory the bike has not had much use. It only has 14000km on it. I was skeptical bout the KM's but my mechanic went over the bike and believes these are the true KM's. There are no stone chips or other wear underneath the bike. I will suss out the linkage tomorrow to check if it is loose and go from there. They are $85AUD from Yomama, none in the country so it would be an order in if this needs replacing. Have just done 120km on it and all good. Am going to do another 100-150km this arvo to see how she goes

Ok, knocked back 140km on the bike. Ran great. My economy is up from 90km to the fuel light to around 120km to the fuel light.
Will take the air cleaner box out tomorrow to suss out if there is any wear on the linkage that effects the carb sync.

Hi as my last post try the nulon im a mechanic and wasn't confiedent that it would fix the spitting back through the carbs .But no time to pull them apart so I gave it ago ran real bad for about tree kays then cleared up and now runs and idles great .Its a 97 30k with plugs still in the carbs.had the problem from 20k good luck.

Hi as my last post try the nulon im a mechanic and wasn't confiedent that it would fix the spitting back through the carbs .But no time to pull them apart so I gave it ago ran real bad for about tree kays then cleared up and now runs and idles great .Its a 97 30k with plugs still in the carbs.had the problem from 20k good luck.
Hey Natnic :)
Sorry forgot to mention i have been using a fuel additive per the suggestion for the carbs which appears to have made quite a difference :D
Am thinking of complete carb overhaul when i put Morely's kit thru it to match the new stainless Mark's exhaust

Ok. Took the bike for a ride this morning, and now the speedo cable snapped :bang head: Am happy i paid for 3 years warranty on the bike!

I was wondering if anyone out there that has done lots of work could give me some clues to tell if the bike's km are true (14000km) or not?

My mechanic (not yami) feels the km are genuine as there aren't all the stone chips etc under the bike. The bike certainly does not look like it is well worn and appears to have spent most of it's life indoors by the look of it.
Am i just seeing all these problems from a bike that has sat for many years??

Have just replaced the o rings on the drain screws. Interestingly they have rust at the end of them. Maybe the bike has sat dry out of fuel for a while?

Evem if not left dry a carb that's left sitting with fuel long term and not run regularly can get rust in the bottom of the bowl etc. Whatever h2o is in the fuel and whatever the system manages to soak up from the atmosphere will find it's way to the lowest point.

Ok, so even if the bike didn't dry out, due to sitting round for so long the corrosion occured. Check. I spoke with my mechanic yesterday who quoted adecent price to rebuild the carbs for me, so i think i will get this done.

Back