Ran great, now won't start!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamB

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been reading these forums since I picked up my 2001 VMax last summer, really great place. I haven't had a lick of trouble with it up until now.

I rode it a few times in March on some nice days, but then parked it again as the weather turned. Now that it is getting nicer, I went to fire it the other day and she won't start.

When I turn the key instead of hearing the normal v-boost and fuel pump clicks and sounds, there is nothing. Also, the tach immediately goes to 7500RPM and stays there. When I try to start it, all I get is clicking from the starter relay, the headlight goes out and so do the other lights. I have already charged the battery completely, tested it, jumped the biked, and all give same results.

I tested the starter by jumping it directly and it turns over just fine. I have unplugged the v-boost several times and reconnected it, nothing. Checked all the fuses including the 30AMP next to the starter relay. All connections seem OK.

Sometimes after trying to start it and getting the clicking noise, I can faintly hear what sounds like the v-boost servo try and engage, but just for split second. I can replicate this sound by cycling the kill switch on and off or the key. However, I get no fuel pump noise and the servo sound is very faint and very quick.

Is it possible that the v-boost is gummed up and stuck in a certain position, not allowing it to finish its cycle? The only thing I have done is run a small amount of seafoam in it when I got it out from winter storage in March. It backfired a few times after doing this while under heavy throttle but ran fine otherwise. Now I have this problem! Any help is greatly appreciated, I have read through a lot of the posts about similar problems but mine seems kinda unique not being able to hear the fuel pump or v-boost.

Hi guys, I've been reading these forums since I picked up my 2001 VMax last summer, really great place. I haven't had a lick of trouble with it up until now.

I rode it a few times in March on some nice days, but then parked it again as the weather turned. Now that it is getting nicer, I went to fire it the other day and she won't start.

When I turn the key instead of hearing the normal v-boost and fuel pump clicks and sounds, there is nothing. Also, the tach immediately goes to 7500RPM and stays there. When I try to start it, all I get is clicking from the starter relay, the headlight goes out and so do the other lights. I have already charged the battery completely, tested it, jumped the biked, and all give same results.

I tested the starter by jumping it directly and it turns over just fine. I have unplugged the v-boost several times and reconnected it, nothing. Checked all the fuses including the 30AMP next to the starter relay. All connections seem OK.

Sometimes after trying to start it and getting the clicking noise, I can faintly hear what sounds like the v-boost servo try and engage, but just for split second. I can replicate this sound by cycling the kill switch on and off or the key. However, I get no fuel pump noise and the servo sound is very faint and very quick.

Is it possible that the v-boost is gummed up and stuck in a certain position, not allowing it to finish its cycle? The only thing I have done is run a small amount of seafoam in it when I got it out from winter storage in March. It backfired a few times after doing this while under heavy throttle but ran fine otherwise. Now I have this problem! Any help is greatly appreciated, I have read through a lot of the posts about similar problems but mine seems kinda unique not being able to hear the fuel pump or v-boost.

vboost doesn't have anything to do with the ignition.. i can start mine as its doing its cycle...

something weird is definitely acting up if you goto jump it and it still acts quirky... i'll have to think about it... let others chime in who know more as well

Check to see if you are getting 12v out of the starter relay when you hit the start button. I am sure you have the kill switch set to run. Check the sidestand switch. But if it is clicking it sounds like the starter relay.

Good luck
Jim

I find it strange that you're getting power to the tach signal wire with the engine off. Trying unplugging the ignition coil with the yellow wire and see if it starts.

Which vboost connector did you disconnect? The 3-wire or 5-wire round plug?

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I am gonna have to go ahead and admit my stupidity now! After being pissed off about this for awhile, I went ahead and bought a new battery and threw it in. BAM. Back to normal! Apparently the old one was trash even though it seemed fine. I appreciate the ideas, just figured I would update this in case anyone else runs into this cause it could be the battery!

Oh and its a gorgeous day here (finally) and the Max is loving it!

Here I was going to say just that... You probably had a dead cell in it.

Good to see another IA boy here!

Quad Cities here...

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I am gonna have to go ahead and admit my stupidity now! After being pissed off about this for awhile, I went ahead and bought a new battery and threw it in. BAM. Back to normal! Apparently the old one was trash even though it seemed fine. I appreciate the ideas, just figured I would update this in case anyone else runs into this cause it could be the battery!

Oh and its a gorgeous day here (finally) and the Max is loving it!

do yourself a favor and buy a battery tender, i had some of the same problems you had, battery tender cured the problems, glad you are riding again. Dave

Back