Ran the Vmax against some of my others... Fantastic

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throttle

Reaction score
Well after bringing the Vmax and the others back to Oklahoma my father and I decided to break my brother out of gardening duty and take a man trip through NE Oklahoma. My dad and I rode my CBR 600 F4 and his 2000 Valkryie up to Tulsa to get my brother and my newly acquired 2006 Vmax out of his garage after I left it there due to bad weather. I also have a 2002 CBR 954rr that will have to be tested against the max another day.

Trip was about a 3 hr ride through country windy roads with vast stretches of open road. Friendly testing of the CBR vs the Vmax at about 40mph roll left surprising results (to us, maybe not y'all.) The Vmax pulled ahead by 6-7 bikes lengths quickly and would not be passed until let up. I was riding the CBR with my slightly less aggressive father riding the max. Even with the CBR in its powerband the vmax stomped it. The CBR has lowered gearing and is no slouch by any means. Every pull was the same from a variety of speeds, vmax handed to the CBR. Same result with every rider. I think the CBR might be able to have a leg up at significantly higher speed, however with road testing it got eaten.

Ran the Valkryie against the Max from a light, Father on his Valkryie and me on the Max. This was a bit more predictable, vmax ate it up with minimal front end lift. New marathons with 1,000 miles on the max and hooked up great. First time my dad hit the rev limiter on the Valkryie, but made no difference. And to those who have ridden Valkryies you can attest they are no slouches for being massive highway bikes (Interstate edition.) I will say the pipes on the Valkryie make the Vmax cry though from a inferiority complex. Roll on testing between the two left predicted results.

I will try to test the 954 against it before I sell it (the 954, the wife for some reason doesn't think I need three bikes, go figure.) The 954 has full exhaust and only 8 thousand miles and is a screamer. Will be interesting, i think the torque of the 954 will make it a lot better competition than the 600 F4. We shall see.

Hope this is interesting to some, I know I enjoy reading similar posts. I apologize for any errors, this was written on my iPhone.

As long as your wife wasn't making you sell the max lol.
Thanks for the great post. I think the 954 will do a lot better than the cbr. It may be 3 bikes at first and then it will catch up a lot quicker.
Keep us posted.

From a roll you'll eat the 954 but it will beat you by the end fairly easily.

Sean

Great comparison write up Throttle! I'm surprised that the max walked away from the F4. I had a 99 F4 also, and it was snappy quick for only being a 600. A lot of my riding buddys got surprised when they tried to "dust" me on it!

I am so happy to hear about the vs. Valkryie. I was at a friendly BBQ, and when a buddy's friend asked me what I rode, he quickly said his Valkryie would stomp the Max. I knew deep inside that the guy was just roostering up and had never seen or been on a Max, except in mags and his dreams, but all I had to go with were the comparisons I read once upon a time in Motorcycle (nothing first hand), in which the test riders reported that, although the Max was king stomping all the others under review, the Valkryie had the Max in the low end of the power band, which on paper with the same rider the Valkryie would have beaten the Max off the line, but would fall behind later down the road. I guess on asphalt it's a different story.

Thanks for the report. Nice to know of another max rider in OKC area. I live south and east of Norman.

I once walked away from a Valk on my 750 Magna. I think it may have been a difference in riders though, I'm not afraid to use all available power, some guys won't do that.

If I were to bet before a race between my Vmax and my 954rr I would still,without hesitation, say the 954 would be the solid winner. The 954 power to weight is significantly better than the Vmax. Like mentioned by some the max might have it for a second or two on a roll but the 954 will awaken very quickly. Compared with the F4 the 954 has gobs more usable power. And it is a fantastically balanced bike ( Dangit, here I go again, reminding myself why I DO NOT want to sell it. Maybe I can just hide it from the wife behind some boxes in the garage.....)

With that said I did not think the Vmax would handle the F4 like a bully on the playground.

As far as the Valkryie is concerned I absolutely love that bike. Great balance of comfort and muscle, actually chose it today over the max for a 2-up trip with my wife (The max makes me do things with my right wrist that gets me a earful from the little lady.) Great bike, but I do not see any circumstance where it could beat a Vmax, aside from maybe a incompetent vmax rider. But that's just my two cents and my limited Valkryie and Vmax riding experience (These are the only two of those bikes I've ridden.)

And Thundermax, I am just getting back to Oklahoma after living a stint in California. I am moving into the Yukon area so I'll be out and about in that area plenty.

Throttle believe me I agree with you. All I've owned before was sport bike the last one was aa 02 r1. There are some vmaxes out there that will spank the 954 not a stock one but there are some crazy maxxes out there. Not to mention a gen2 ;)

Having both a Valk and a V-Max I can tell you in no uncertian terms that the Max will leave my Valk almost all the time. But the big girl is a great touring bike for two up.
Lew

Speaking of gen 2's, The ducati's didn't like me tailgating them this last weekend in Arkansas. They didn't last long with me running up their but before they gave up and pulled over. I could have passed them in the turns but that would have been "bad form".

Sean

Back