Rear coils ???????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MANA1

Reaction score
Just got my carb boots installed, cleaned the carbs, resynced the carbs, now my bike idling like --ap!! I disconnected the plug from #3 coil and it made little to no difference in the way the bike idled. Put #3 back together and disconnected #1 and same thing, little to no difference in the way the bike idles. Yanked out the spark plugs and all 4 are the correct color with no gas. The bike runs okay at highway speeds but runs rough in stop and go traffic. Battery is fully charged. Any sugestions? Thanks

I suggest checking all wiring to & from that coil, and then trying to switch-out w/a known well-operating one, to try & find out if it is the coil. Have you looked at the area around the coil at night, to see if you can see any "leakage" from the coil to ground? When you do find this, it looks similar to one of those novelty plasma lamps, w/the thin tendrils of electricity arcing out.

If it runs good at cruising speeds and the plugs aren't wet or fouled I wiuld think the elect system may be ok, what is your charging voltage?................may need to give the carbs another look, especially the pilot circuits.......................Tom.

Thanks for the advice, did the peashooter again this pm and the bike runs a little better but not much. I also did the R/R fix and the crimp fix just to be sure. I swaped out spark plugs and wires but don't have an extra coil to test. Runs like a bat outta hell at highway speeds but crawls and sputters like a sick dog in traffic. I'll check the battery and coils tomorrow with a multi-meter. If that doesnt work it looks like carb soup for dinner.

Yeah, you would think a coil misfunction would affect the motor throughout its operating powerband & not just at low speeds. Guess I would also lean towards carb low-speed circuits being partially non-functional.

Yeah, you would think a coil misfunction would affect the motor throughout its operating powerband & not just at low speeds. Guess I would also lean towards carb low-speed circuits being partially non-functional.

Just what I was thinking too. How thorough was the carb cleaning? Were the jet blocks removed, jets taken out & inspected, etc?

Next step is to boil the carbs in lemon juice, no butter and garlic. lol

Next step is to boil the carbs in lemon juice, no butter and garlic. lol
The best thing I have found so far is a 15 dollar jewelery sonic cleaner. You drop the jets in with a little dish washing liquid turn it on and walk away for about 20-30 minutes. And just like washing your hair rinse and repeat as necessary... The jets come out looking new and if they aren't cleared keep doing it or cut up a guitar string or use welding tip cleaners to clear them out. All of these are very inexpensive and thorough.

You tried the peashooter with little result..................How about the shotgun method?...............Worked wonders for me!.....................Tom.

Your right Tom, I was just about to make a pot of carb soup when I realized that my aircompressor is broken.
Remembered my favorite motto "improvise, adapt, and overcome". Lucky I scuba dive, had a tank with about 1000lbs of air left. Found a piece of rubber hose and it covered the air hole on my tank perfectly. Wham bam, instant source of high pressure air. Did the shotgun again and now my bike idles just like brand new. Thank you guys for all the help.

Back