Removing the Star emblem on scoops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the Star emblem from the scoops ? I would assume is anyone had the scoops chromed whoever chromed then would have had to remove them. My first thought was to remove the scoops and use a hair dryer to heat the inside of the scoop where the emblem would be and that would make the adhesive warm enough to peel it off.

Rather than assume and end up scratching the scoops I thought I should ask if anyone has removed them.

I used a heat gun but a hairdryer will work . After heating up glue I used dental floss and worked under the emblem then just cleaned extra glue off wd40 or goo off..

I have a heat gun too, the way you described is how I had it in my head to do it but wanted to ask to see if anyone has done it the way. Glad to know that way will work with no problems.

Thanks

I popped the small emblems off my Gen1 before it was painted a few years ago. There was enough sticky stuff left on the emblems to stick them back on after the job was done. 2 years later, they haven't fallen off yet..

I popped the small emblems off my Gen1 before it was painted a few years ago. There was enough sticky stuff left on the emblems to stick them back on after the job was done. 2 years later, they haven't fallen off yet..

I bought a replacement for one of mine, it got messed up in my garage & dolly mess up last spring. You can't even see it unless you are inches away or rub it on the bottom edge. It is the last thing I had to replace, I was thinking about taking both off but decided to just replace it. Once I confirmed the way I was thinking I should be done was the right way, I decided to replace it.

Goo Gone is the stuff I use to get the rest of the sticky snott off, works awesome.

vegetable oil can do a good job to remove residual glue if you dont have chemicals. I know for sure it works awesome on old bumper stickers. Emblem glue I'm sure is much tougher though.

vegetable oil can do a good job to remove residual glue if you dont have chemicals. I know for sure it works awesome on old bumper stickers. Emblem glue I'm sure is much tougher though.

Ive never tried that, thanks for the tip.

Bumper stickers can be the worst things ever if they have been there awhile.

Ive never tried that, thanks for the tip.

Bumper stickers can be the worst things ever if they have been there awhile.

It is a good tip if you don't have WD-40 or Goo Gone, I guess I just assume everyone has at least WD-40.............lol

Rubbing Alcohol removes adhesives left over also

So, I have all 4 things, which is the best or safest to use to remove left over adhesives from the emblem.

It is a good tip if you don't have WD-40 or Goo Gone, I guess I just assume everyone has at least WD-40.............lol

Rubbing Alcohol removes adhesives left over also

So, I have all 4 things, which is the best or safest to use to remove left over adhesives from the emblem.

I got a feeling for the emblem glue you'll want to use the solevent based, your goo gone, goof off, and thinners are going to be the ticket if its really on there. Alcohol based products wont take off oil based adhesives (I think I got that right), like trying to use mineral spirets to clean oil based paint out of a paint brush, it don't work. So depending on what the adhesive is based will determine the best cutting agent.

In an aplication where natural oils (vegi, olive, etc.) are good to use is when you dont want to damage or discolor the material under the glue like wood or plastics or glossy paint because most solvents will discolor or change the sheen.
My two cents.
Brad

I got a feeling for the emblem glue you'll want to use the solevent based, your goo gone, goof off, and thinners are going to be the ticket if its really on there. Alcohol based products wont take off oil based adhesives (I think I got that right), like trying to use mineral spirets to clean oil based paint out of a paint brush, it don't work. So depending on what the adhesive is based will determine the best cutting agent.

In an aplication where natural oils (vegi, olive, etc.) are good to use is when you dont want to damage or discolor the material under the glue like wood or plastics or glossy paint because most solvents will discolor or change the sheen.
My two cents.
Brad

Olive Oil it is..

Ronsonol lighter fluid works pretty good as well in removing that sticky residue....

OK thanks guys I think the more options the more confusing. I will start wil olive oil and then work up in products that have the least chance of damaging the scoop.

Thanks for all your inputs.:punk:

I've used varsol paint thinner on problematic glue. DO it quick and have a bucket of soapy and rinse water nearby for immediately after.

Thanks but that is too risky for my skin. As stated I will start with the least problems i.e. Olive oil and up from there.
Thanks again for the suggestion.

Thanks but that is too risky for my skin. As stated I will start with the least problems i.e. Olive oil and up from there.
Thanks again for the suggestion.
Did you give the emblem glue a go yet?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

No I haven't I ran into the headlight problem for a few days. The emblem is just stretched in the bottom third so it's texture is rough but the normal guy wouldn't even notice it. I've been thinking about it and when I am sure of how I will make sure I get it in the same place etc.

I was going to tape around it and then remove with heat gun and fishing line, was concerned that the heat would unstick the adhesive on the blue tape. I'll do it someday soon but right now it isn't on my TOP 10 list........lol

It's been cold here with the exception of the 3 days I had no headlights.. this weekend will be nice so as I sit on my rolling stood and detail the Vmax I am sure that emblem will look a lot worse, In fact as I type this I think tonight I will take that scoop off and bring it down to my shop and do the emblem that way it will be done.

Back