Replacing Stator

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct, I have been having starting issues with my 1370cc bore. Lots of compression to deal with, so, I found through help here, that the venture unit does output more than the OEM, I believe the OEM puts out 250, and Venture 300. I originally was only getting around 12 volts at idle, so, this was JUST PART of getting rid of everything to do with my OEM charging system.

The OEM part works perfect. The reason for my 12 volts was a lot of corrosion in many crimp's along the path from the stator to the r/r to the wiring harness to the battery. Cheers

The screws are really tight and difficult to remove around the stator and wire cover.
Should I heat them up to loosen thema bit?

-Paul

I haven't tried heat but we use an impact screwdriver with #3 phillips bit in a socket and that works well. This is the type of driver that you hit with a hammer. I like to get it in the neutral position and whack it a few times before I start using it to back the screws out. Most of the time that works well.

Sean

Make sure you use the right size bit. I use a large phillips screwdriver socket bit and wrench..give it some hard whacks with the bit off the wrench to loosen then make sure its squared in the slot before turning and keep it square or you will bugger up the screws..then use a vice grip

Here is the Philippines were original gaskets are hard find and very expensive, I make my own. I buy gasket material by the yard, quite inexpensive at wholesale stores.
I lay the stator or clutch side of the engine against the gasket material. I outline the shape of the stator or clutch cover with a pencil.
Next I apply rubber/contact cement inside the penciled outline and on the lip of the cover. Make sure the cement is dry before placing the cover against the gasket material.
Get an #1 Exaxto knife and cut. Cut the holes first. I have been doing this for years now and have had no problem. No mess, no leaks. It even fits and looks better than the original gasket.
My cost - under 10U$.

I haven't tried heat but we use an impact screwdriver with #3 phillips bit in a socket and that works well. This is the type of driver that you hit with a hammer. I like to get it in the neutral position and whack it a few times before I start using it to back the screws out. Most of the time that works well.

Sean

I had to use a torch to heat it. I had tried the impact (not sure if I had #3) but by that time the heads were stripped a bit. I heated them and used vice grip to break em loose.

-Paul

Here is the Philippines were original gaskets are hard find and very expensive, I make my own. I buy gasket material by the yard, quite inexpensive at wholesale stores.
I lay the stator or clutch side of the engine against the gasket material. I outline the shape of the stator or clutch cover with a pencil.
Next I apply rubber/contact cement inside the penciled outline and on the lip of the cover. Make sure the cement is dry before placing the cover against the gasket material.
Get an #1 Exaxto knife and cut. Cut the holes first. I have been doing this for years now and have had no problem. No mess, no leaks. It even fits and looks better than the original gasket.
My cost - under 10U$.

Thanks everyone. I am going to try some blue gasket in a tube, if I cant get that correct today I will get some gasket material and follow the advise to outline and cut one.

-Paul

Back