request for design assistance-photoshop

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I am posting this here because I think the request would probably be more-easily-seen here than elsewhere on the forum.

Is there anyone who could photoshop a pic of a stock VMax w/chrome-yellow frame & red bodywork? I would only paint red what is painted on a stock bike, and leave the side covers all-alloy. Thanks.

I am wondering about aluminum wheels vs. black, too.

Thanks, maybe w/a break from his studies he could help, I am sure he will see the request. Plus, the riding season there is probably more snowmobile by now.

We're going to be doing some photoshop work here for another project and my photographer will be testing his skills lol. I'll try to post up the project pics as we go.

Red body + yellow frame ? two strong colors on one bike

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336ed52b1b39fdc3a6ed05a1f786c7f5329.jpg

That is a BMW K1. Only produced for a short time. Have seen one in person in the 90's.

There was one of the K1's (blue/yellow) for sale here in Ft. Lauderdale FL when I was looking for a bike in 1993. I went & looked at it. It was a private seller. I also looked at an 851 Superbike replica Ducati (it had red bodywork & a yellow frame, w/polished alloy castings & forgings). The third one I looked at was a Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000, first of their bikes w/the alloy/steel frame & a 4-valve head design that was successful in Superbike racing here, & which chassis design was widely-adopted by the factory for their other bikes. I was looking for a bike w/character, something you wouldn't see on the other side of the intersection while out riding.

I bought a VMax instead, the one I have been the owner of for the past 19 years. No regrets.

BTW, the K1 BMW was the first production BMW bike to break 150 MPH off the showroom floor, which was a big deal back when it was released. It was more of a 'halo' bike, as they call it in automotive and motorcycle manufacturing, designed to garner a lot of attention to the brand, which then will hopefully carry-over to the more-pedestrian transportation products of that manufacturer. Think Dodge Viper, Shelby GT500, Corvette ZL-1.

Thanks, KJ, proof of concept. I think I would probably initially have the grabrail, CV round caps, handlebar riser, rear footpeg carriers, side scoops & engine details in powdercoated silver, & side covers and wheels in natural aluminum, which is what I have now. I like the black wheels & red stripes.

The bar ends, mirrors, and headlight bezel are chrome now, I don't mind chrome, I like a bit of chrome, my instrument nacelle is flat black.

I know many people wouldn't like the red & yellow, but I recall how-striking the Ducati 851 was like that, w/its polished alloy bits.

One thing that I think would stand-out is the gloppy, spattered welds would probably show-up much-more w/the yellow frame. You could clean them up & mold the frame, but that would probably negate the possibility of powdercoating the frame, you'd have to paint it, as I doubt the filler would survive the oven. And I don't have a MIG or TIG to re-weld everything & then patiently grind & file my way to perfection. If someone did that, I think to another VMax person, the effort would become obvious, as you got closer, and then you could appreciate the painstaking time it took to get the bike like that.

realistically, am I gonna do all that welding & grinding? Probably not. I have a friend w/a TIG machine, but I think he might get-tired of doing it. He only charges me for materials & some beer $, for something like that I think I would have to pay, but he would be cheaper than any shop, even if I did.

In-defense of the combo, I don't think it looks like a McDonald's advertisement. I would like to see the color scheme I proposed, above, but I understand your time is valuable, and I appreciate your effort here, thank-you, KJ.

Thanks, KJ, proof of concept. I think I would probably initially have the grabrail, CV round caps, handlebar riser, rear footpeg carriers, side scoops & engine details in powdercoated silver, & side covers and wheels in natural aluminum, which is what I have now. I like the black wheels & red stripes.

The bar ends, mirrors, and headlight bezel are chrome now, I don't mind chrome, I like a bit of chrome, my instrument nacelle is flat black.

I know many people wouldn't like the red & yellow, but I recall how-striking the Ducati 851 was like that, w/its polished alloy bits.

One thing that I think would stand-out is the gloppy, spattered welds would probably show-up much-more w/the yellow frame. You could clean them up & mold the frame, but that would probably negate the possibility of powdercoating the frame, you'd have to paint it, as I doubt the filler would survive the oven. And I don't have a MIG or TIG to re-weld everything & then patiently grind & file my way to perfection. If someone did that, I think to another VMax person, the effort would become obvious, as you got closer, and then you could appreciate the painstaking time it took to get the bike like that.

realistically, am I gonna do all that welding & grinding? Probably not. I have a friend w/a TIG machine, but I think he might get-tired of doing it. He only charges me for materials & some beer $, for something like that I think I would have to pay, but he would be cheaper than any shop, even if I did.

In-defense of the combo, I don't think it looks like a McDonald's advertisement. I would like to see the color scheme I proposed, above, but I understand your time is valuable, and I appreciate your effort here, thank-you, KJ.

Another way to get rid of the welds and still be able to powdercoat is to us a product called Lab Metal - http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?id=1

I have used this product and it works as advertised. Much less work than welding and grinding.

Mike

Back