Rotella T6 Made My clutch go out!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semi239

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So went for a ride today. Toward the end of the ride, I noticed some significant clutch slippage. Previously Ive had issues with leaking valve cover gaskets. After washing it one day I found a gap larges enough that I could've taken on water. I corrected it and moved on. Well I dumped the oil out after my ride and found it be very milky like I got some water in there.

Decided to go with Rotella T6 for the new oil. After the refill, the clutch is worse than ever! I cant go into gear without lurching forward and very very tough to shift the gears.

What does the forum say?

Attached is what I put in it.

Attachments

• 20230812_205929.jpg
    20230812_205929.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
ou need to change that out to the T4 non synthetic stuff
I was hoping my title would get a good response out of you! ;)

So my mistake was in which Rotella I got. I read that old thread from like 2015 and I thought it was all acceptable. Must have been wrong.

I'll find some T4 non-synthetic for it.
Do I need a new clutch? Or will a good flush get the job done?

Usually a change to another oil which has proven to work like the Shell Rotella non-synthetic mentioned by Sean Morley will be able to restore the proper friction disc behavior.

I was hoping my title would get a good response out of you! ;)

So my mistake was in which Rotella I got. I read that old thread from like 2015 and I thought it was all acceptable. Must have been wrong.

I'll find some T4 non-synthetic for it.
I would run some cheap 30 w from dollar store to flush it out more. Then take clutch apart and clean all clutch disc. Don't want milky oil on them. That is why clutch is slipping

I have not gotten my 85 that's been sitting for 23years up and running. Yet
But I have an 86 fj that is now a 1350 that has 176hp and 117ftlbs on crank dyno. Been running t6 for years. Can walk it sideways on one wheel. Comming out of a roundy round. In second. Never noticed any slippage. But I do have a Barnett pressure plate.
I've been running it in all of my bikes. And never noticed it. I run it because that's what I run in my diesel. I currently have 13 bikes. Will probably run it in my other project a turbo 86 fj. Should be about 220-230hp. Will be a billet basket and a Barnett plate. But good to know that t4 seems less likely to slip. If I do have problems.

Huh. I don't drag race the thing, not overly abusive, but look - there are no shrinking violet Vmax owners. Guru tuned and etc, it's run 15W-40 T6 in it for years. It's MA and MA2, and I have no problems at all.

Except Sean just voted against it. I don't know the man, but I know he knows more than I do about VMAX's. Or ever will know.

Sean, would you elaborate a bit? Am I just getting lucky?

I think the synthetic friction modifiers affect the VMax clutch plate friction discs. ZDDP in the Rotella mineral-based oils is what a wet clutch needs to behave.

I really appreciate the knowledge sharing on this site. I am certain I will need lots of this advice as I get back into riding.

This is a great community that shares a passion for riding and VMAX. :)

I tried a lot of different oils (even coloured oils ... blue, red and a bunch of different brands in my Barnett clutch equipped 2001 VMax with Otec, see-through side covers. I have not tried Rotella although I am sure it is fine as many can attest. I had clutch problems every time, sometimes it would work for awhile before starting to slip. Each time, I returned to Yamalube and perfect function returned. Now, I just stick to Yamalube and have never had any issues whatsoever.

After reading all the very good advice i decided to source some Rotella t4 non synth: Well , i cant find any here (Philippines ) and its as rare as rockin horse do-das in the UK also ! Anybody in Australia got some ?

Back