Scorpion EXO1000?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new lid for this year, my Icon Alliance SSR has been cruising around for 4 years now and probably 30k miles and it's starting to kind of show it's age, the liner is getting kind of thin, the vinyl neck roll is cracking, and while it was a nice helmet, it was only a $120 helmet when I bought it. A nice lid, but basic. The issue I have with it is that it's noisy, and I suspect the flyscreen that directs the wind pretty much right at the visor doesn't help either. Even with in-ear headphones, the wind noise still drowns out music. I'm looking to "upgrade" to a higher-tier lid.

Cruising around motorcycle superstore, I honestly wasn't finding much I liked. The "premium" brands like Arai and Shoei are too expensive, I don't want to drop $800 on a helmet. Most other brands, HJC, AFX, Gmax, Bell, seem to be focused on mostly "entry level" helmets like I already have, there didn't seem to be a whole lot in the middle. Everything is either sub-$200, or $500+.

However, I spotted the Scorpion EXO1000, which at $300 seems about the price range I'm looking for. I like the shape/style, it comes in a matte/rubatone black, and has a lot of features I like....the flip-down sun shade(in several colors), air adjustable pads, and quick-change shield with a "crack open" setting. Most reviews report it's fairly quiet also. I've also heard they have great customer service.

Anybody here have a EXO1000? Most of the reviews at MS rave about it, but a lot note it runs small and to order a size larger than normal, several people said they normally wear a L (like me) and had to exchange it for an XL.

yo homey! i use to wear Scorpion's EXO-700 and liked it alot. But it turns out that I should be wearing a Med and not a Large and only wore it for two or three months. Of course it's not as COOL as the 1000, but PM me if your interested.

Scorpion makes a GREAT helmet for the money...

The 1000 is VERY heavy though. I have a 700 that I don't wear. It's heavy as heck and the 1000 is heavier yet.

I went with a Joe Rocket Carbon Fiber helmet and WOW talk about LIGHT... JR's are made by HJC by the way. Both are GREAT hoods for the money IMO.

Chris

I've had the Scorpian EXO- 900 modular for almost 2 years now and still like it a lot. It was $ 279.00 at the time .

:punk:

Attachments

• exo900blk-large.jpg
    exo900blk-large.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 5
Hmm, I found the WBW review of it here, and it's pretty damning. They reported poor ventilation, the weight, noise, a flimsy shield mechanism, an odd shape, in fact they didn't really like anything about it.

Oh well, the hunt is on again. The JR carbon (now the 201, guess the 101 was discontinued) certainly looks cool and at under 3.25 pounds is nearly a full pound lighter than the EXO1000. The non carbon version is half the price ($200 vs $400), but it adds a full 10 ounces to the weight.

Seems the "light" end of the spectrum is in the low-mid 3lb range, while the "heavy" end are in the high 3's to low 4's.

dude have you checked out competition accessories? my wife got me my shoei x11 for less than $300 + free shipping last valentines day. it looks like they are still trying to move old stock. quickly looking, they are running out of the graphic shoeis but they have a butt load of 1/2 off Arais

I have the EXO 1000 RPM in Black/Gold, and I like the helmet. It fits really well, although I think it is running a size small, but once it "broke" in it is very comfortable.

It may be considered heavy but I haven't noticed the weight. The liner is very nice, and has more than adequate padding IMHO. Seems to me the more features you put into a helmet, you are going to have added weight, so there is a trade off.

I also do not feel any wind, but riding around for a couple of hours in 70 degree temps yesterday my head didn't sweat at all. In the cold weather, I was riding around at 35-40 degree temps and my head didn't get cold at all. The faceshield would fog up sitting at a light, but cracking the shield with the lever took care of that, and lets a nice little breeze in too. I haven't really gotten to use the sun shield much, but it isn't very dark, and doesn't seem to take the place of sunglasses. It does reduce glare nicely though. The only thing I don't like about that is you see the bottom quarter inch of the shield when it's retracted. Not distracting once you get used to it though.

As for noise, I can't hear very well out of my left ear, but I don't hear any wind noise. I do hear my supertrapps though. The retail was $309 but every motorsports dealer I talked to offered me 25% off so I got it for $245 from my buddy's shop. Overall, I am happy with the helmet. It is comfortable, and I hardly notice that I'm wearing it.

Hmm, I found the WBW review of it here, and it's pretty damning. They reported poor ventilation, the weight, noise, a flimsy shield mechanism, an odd shape, in fact they didn't really like anything about it.

Oh well, the hunt is on again. The JR carbon (now the 201, guess the 101 was discontinued) certainly looks cool and at under 3.25 pounds is nearly a full pound lighter than the EXO1000. The non carbon version is half the price ($200 vs $400), but it adds a full 10 ounces to the weight.

Seems the "light" end of the spectrum is in the low-mid 3lb range, while the "heavy" end are in the high 3's to low 4's.

Mine was NOS when I bought it. It was literally half price. I bought it from newenough.com.

I've found a bunch of the RKT101 carbon models on closeout for half off, around $200. NewEnough has the newer 201 for like $30 off list, but that's still $380. Reviews for the 101 were kind of mixed, and Revzilla's video review for the 201 lists several things that were fixed/improved over the previous.

I was prepared to drop $3-$400 on a nice lid, and the more I look at the JR carbon one, the more I like it. Think it would look extra sweet with a mirrored visor.

I have the Scorpion Exo1000, I can't really say a whole lot about it because I haven't used it much. I can say it does run a size small, I had to get a 2x instead of an XL. I read some contradicting reviews about it, but it was last years color on the clearance rack for $179 the day I finalized my max purchase, and I convinced them to knock another 100 off so I figured I couldn't go wrong for 79 bucks!

-JB

My exo1000 is on the left, and the right one is my fiance's exo400 ($159)

-JB

Attachments

• PC030023.JPG
    PC030023.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 14
I bought one of the Nolan N-102 Outlaw helmets from this place last year and really like it. I paid $230 plus bought the metallic silver face shield for another $30 + dollars.Now I see they have them on sale for $189 probably to make room for the N-103 that have the internal dark visor. Mike

http://www.extremesupply.com/product/NOLANN102SOLIDHELMETS.html

Also wanted to add the sizes seem to run true. I wear a large and the large fit perfect.

Last edited:
i had the Icon Alliance SS Battlecry for a few years and last year purchased the EXO-1000, i found that the padding was 100 times more comfortable then the icon, i cant really notice the weight unless you start tilting your head from left to right, but for basic movement like looking behind you and what not its not really noticeable. As for noise its better then my Icon was. what really attracted me to the EXO-1000 was the cheek pads and sun visor, i have been finding that when i purchase a new helmet it loosens up after about a season and wants to fly off on the highway, but with the EXO-1000 all it takes is a couple pumps and it fits way more snug. the inner visor that comes with it is the light smoke, i went and bought the dark smoke and it was good, i also run a mirrored visor on the outside and on really sunny days i put both down. if you want any other info just let me know.

Thanks for the tips....I'm going to weigh my current Alliance lid and see what it comes in at. If the "heavy" Scorpion is about the same, it's not likely I'll really notice any difference weight wise. I'm not really sure a difference of a couple ounces would be noticeable anyway.

I swear, buying a helmet is surprisingly complicated. There's the different "oval" shapes between brands and models, sizing varies considerably between brands, weight, features, noise level, ect.

I weighed my Alliance SSR (size L) on the lab scale and it came in a 3.94lbs...so the EXO1000 is only a fraction of an ounce heavier, a difference I'd probably never notice.

On the other hand, the JR carbon is like 12 ounces lighter than my current lid....

Gonna have to find someplace I can try these on to see if I like the features, weight, and most importantly, the fit.

JR and HJC fit like Arai. Scorpion fit like Shoei. Just what I've found trying them on.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Gonna have to find someplace I can try these on to see if I like the features, weight, and most importantly, the fit.
I think buying a helmet is like buying a pair of shoes, you need to try them on first. What fits good and is liked by one person, might be exactly the opposite to another. Plus each company has a different "fit", and trying one on at a local store will give you a good idea of what size and style you desire when purchasing online. Talk to your local dealer as well about price matching...some will match prices found on the internet, some won't.

i never buy a helmet unless trying it on, i would make the effort ryan.

or at least get a manufacturer's sizing. if you can find a place that carries scorpion, more likely than not they will all run that way. i have found the same to be true with hjc

Back