shifting to neutral

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke

Reaction score
ok ive always had some issues putting the 05 into neutral once up to operating temperature but i just assumed it was because of dirty oil(had amsoil 10-40). well i changed the oil to royal purple max cycle 10-40. and while it ran much smoother i still have a hard time getting it into nuetral once the oil starts to heat up from riding. am i using the wrong oil or do i have a problem brewing in the transmission? i can put it into neutral flawlessly every time as soon as i shut the engine off while hot ori can put it into neutral while running if the engine is cold still.

side note. i thought i might have had air in the clutch. so i looked and noticed the fluid had been cooked by the po. so i flushed it out and bled it manually. have a better feeling clutch now but the problem still happens.

ok ive always had some issues putting the 05 into neutral once up to operating temperature but i just assumed it was because of dirty oil(had amsoil 10-40). well i changed the oil to royal purple max cycle 10-40. and while it ran much smoother i still have a hard time getting it into nuetral once the oil starts to heat up from riding. am i using the wrong oil or do i have a problem brewing in the transmission? i can put it into neutral flawlessly every time as soon as i shut the engine off while hot ori can put it into neutral while running if the engine is cold still.

side note. i thought i might have had air in the clutch. so i looked and noticed the fluid had been cooked by the po. so i flushed it out and bled it manually. have a better feeling clutch now but the problem still happens.

i have had the same problem ever since it was new, i'm surprised nobody else have ever posted this. dave

i know the st1100s had similar problems and the way riders fixed thier problems was by running dot 5 fluid in the clutch. ( mine had dot 3 in it but the cap said dot 3 OR 4 so i figured i was ok....

Mine's not too bad, but I find it a lot easier to shift into neutral while it is still moving, even a little.

Steve

I have an '06 and it has been that way from day one. I just figured it was operator error. Once I'm stopped and the motor is hot, I can't find neutral to save my life.

From reading other posts here......it appears this is fairly common......

The solutions I have read in other posts are to raise the RPM's a little.....

Let the clutch out a little......

Or shift into neutral while it is still rolling slightly......

I have not tested any of these because it is still in the single digits here and I have not put any miles on my week old bike yet:bang head:

I've had my 06 for a short time now and have noticed it a little difficult to find neutral also. I've read others mention this issue on the forum here as well. Here's what works for me.

#1 hitting N from 2nd instead of 1st
#2 doing it before you stop

I'm not a mechanic, but I have high doubts that the clutch fluid is the issue here. Just the nature of the beast IMHO.:confused2:

same issues here on both of my max's. i think its just how it is... always pops easier if i just roll it a bit either way... even just an inch or two.

My 07 does this and my Triumph Sprint RS before the max was the same way. I always just kinda figured if it hard to get into N on purpose it is even better to keep you from not shifting all the way into second when not trying to get into N. Never really bothered me after I thought it like that.

My '01 is a little tricky to get into neutral sometimes, but it always seems to go in eventually without too much trouble. I just thought that is was a normal Vmax thing.

My '86 goes into neutral without any problems, from first or second, stopped or running, all good.

Every now and then, if it sticks a little when stopped I just roll the bike slightly - just a quick rock forward or back - and it shifts into neutral straight away.

All my bikes have always done that, I think sometimes you just catch it in a funny way when you stop and have to rock it a little to get out of that spot.

My '05 has around 8,000 miles and have the exact same issue.
Easy to get into neutral when cold...pretty much impossible when at operating temp with the bike running. If I shut the engine off, she goes into neutral without effort. I just figured this is typical for the max.

Are all of you using synthetic oil? My '06 does NOT like synthetic at all. I had sloppy shifts and hard to find neutral until I switched to 10W40 Valvoline 4-Stroke. All is good now. For some reason the clutch doesn't like the synthetic, so I just use a premium petroleum. Good luck...

actually, yes i am using synthetic. royal purple 10- 40. but other than the not finding neutral thing, it hasnt had any more than 2 sloppy shifts and i blame that on rider error.

Back